The original arcade version of Popeye and Donkey Kong have a lot in common. Later, this Popeye 2 Gameboy sequel seems to have taken a lot of inspiration from 1989’s Super Mario Land as the gameplay and visual style are similar.
However, Popeye’s 2 link cable multiplayer mode might have inspired the Vs mode in Super Mario Deluxe (GBC) and later Super Mario 35, a now delisted Switch Battle Royale game. What do you think?
Editor in Chief - been writing for mygamer,com for 20+ years. Gaming enthusiast. Hater of pants. Publisher of obscure gaming content on my YT channel.
- Twitter @ZackGaz
- Personal blog at: https://squallsnake.com/
- BuyMeACoffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/zackgaz
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/squallsnake
- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/squallsnake7
- I am the EiC of: https://www.MyGamer.com/