The Valkyria, the embodiment of death is returning to the battlefield in Valkyria Revolution and players will have to do – and sacrifice – whatever is necessary to seek out their vengeance. Previously reported as “Valkyria: Azure Revolution,” the newly titled Valkyria Revolution will release in the west both physically and digitally for the Playstation 4 and XBOX One, and as a digital-only title for the PlayStation Vita. Valkyria Revolution is also in a sense a revolution from the traditional Valkyria Chronicles universe, as it’s set in an alternate timeline based on the European industrialization era and eschews the traditional turn-based strategy gameplay for a new hybrid of real-time combat and tactical strategy across battlefields. Valkyria Revolution will be available in Q2 of 2017.
All it takes is a single spark to start the inferno of war, and in the story of Valkyria Revolution, players will experience that firsthand. Five lifelong friends consumed by personal revenge plunge an entire continent into a terrible war, sacrificing the lives of countless innocents for a cause based on twisted half-truths and outright lies. This “Circle of Five” use their combined influence in their political and military positions to motivate their small, economically blockaded homeland to rise up and become a powerful resistance against its imperialist oppressors. Will the Circle of Five be remembered as heroic liberators, or will their selfish motives expose them as traitorous conspirators who sacrificed untold lives just to carry out a personal vendetta? Players will watch this history unfold in Valkyria Revolution and find out the truth behind the events…
Valkyria Revolution Features:
- A Brush with Death – Turning the tide of battle in Valkyria Revolution is Brunhilde, one of the last of the ancient and powerful Valkyrur, magical beings with near limitless power. She’s bound by oath to the enemy forces and players will have to figure out how to defeat her.
- Prepare for LeGION – Valkyria Revolution has a brand new battle system that mixes real-time combat and tactical strategy. Players can take control of the battlefield using brazen combos or cunning tactics and finding a balance between them is the key to excelling in skirmishes.
- The Ingenuity of War – Through adversity comes great engineering, and with a besieged homeland, players will have upgrade their existing weapons through branching customization paths.
- A New Painterly Look – Valkyria Revolution has a refined look thanks to the new Gouache rendering engine, giving the graphics a unique canvas texture.
- Classic Composer – Valkyria Revolution has a vibrant soundtrack brought to life by the incredibly talented composer Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger, Stella Glow)
Valkyria Revolution is not just a new chapter in the legendary Valkyria series, but a whole new entry with new characters, a new world, and new gameplay mechanics. The static, turn-based battlefield has become an action-oriented stage for devastating melee combos, lethal ranged attacks, and strategic shifts to turn the tide of battle, all while exploring the incredible history of the Circle of Five. Valkyria Revolution will be released on the Playstation 4, PlayStation Vita, and XBOX One in Q2.
Why the name change:
“Valkyria Revolution, that is. If you’ve been following this title out of Japan, you’ll notice that it was previously translated as Valkyria Azure Revolution. Though the Japanese title is still the same, we’re dropping the “Azure” from the western release. Why? Two reasons:
1) The way the first Valkyria title was localized had a really nice ring to it: Senjou no Varukyuria (lit. Valkryia of the Battlefield) became Valkyria Chronicles. When faced with Aoki Kakumei no Varukyuria (lit. Valkyria of the Blue Revolution), a literal translation was unwieldy, and difficult from a graphic design standpoint as well, and adding in extra punctuation (e.g. Valkyria: Azure Revolution) didn’t help either. So we stuck to a similar cadence of the first Valkyria title and went with a two-word title. Plus:
2) Given how vastly different the two games are (Revolution drops the turn-based gameplay, takes place in a different time period, different world, different almost everything), the new name helps to ensure the two titles stood equal but apart from each other.
So, we dropped the “Azure” from the title, and voila! (It definitely had NOTHING to do with it sounding like I sneezed every time I try to say “azure”).
But here we are, staring down the barrel of a new Valkyria game, launching in Q2 of next year! Let’s get some details out of the way, shall we?
- It’s coming to the Americas and Europe. Deep Silver will be handling publishing duties in the EU.
- It will release on the Playstation 4 and Playstation Vita. Plus, we’ve added an XBOX One version for the West!
- The game will have physical version for PS4 and XB1, but will be digital-only on PS Vita.
- Tons of more details on the more minute changes in the press release, but the combat is heavily action-based and squad-oriented”
What's your reaction?
You might also like
Mebius announced that the hit side-scrolling bullet hell shmup, Rolling Gunner will be released on the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch June 20 across North America and Europe. A physical edition of Rolling Gunner is also planned for release in late [...]
Perfect World announced Torchlight II will launch on the Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4 computer entertainment system and XBOX One beginning September 3. Originally developed by Runic Games, the sequel to the award-winning Torchlight game received [...]
Playful Studios announced New Super Lucky’s Tale, a total reimagining of the original 3D adventure platformer Super Lucky’s Tale, during the Nintendo Direct E3 2019 presentation. Coming later this year to Nintendo Switch, NSLT is the definitive Lucky [...]