Magic: The Gathering – Battlegrounds is filled with faithful translations of classic creatures, spells and enchantments from the premier trading card game in a visually stunning 3D game environment rife with real-time strategic fighting, devastating wizard arsenals and intense creature combat. In Magic: The Gathering – Battlegrounds players will choose a duelist and up to two of “Magic’s” five colors — red, green, white, blue, and black — to attempt to reduce their opponent’s life to zero. Of course, getting an opponent to zero will not be easy; players will have to utilize lightning reflexes, strategic brilliance and, on occasion, raw power to overcome an enemy.
* An important aspect to “Magic: The Gathering – Battlegrounds” will involve the player’s mastery of the five colors in the development of his/her duelist. Each color has a proficiency at certain types of activities, such as attacking, defending and healing. Players will be able to select up to two colors and utilize creatures, spells and enchantments in any combination from those schools. For example, a red duelist may choose to augment the attacking powers of his Lava Dragon by adding powerful green enchantments to his arsenal or increase his resilience by using white’s restorative powers instead.
* An engrossing single-player Quest Mode featuring a story that includes characters from “Magic: The Gathering” storylines while also introducing a variety of new characters and locales.
* Single-player Quest Mode composed of six chapters, each featuring up to 15 quests. Most quests will involve battles with resident duelists, sub-bosses or bosses who often control a particular creature or spell that the player has not yet acquired.
* Upon defeating tough opponents, players can gain access to new spells and creatures; the enemy duelist becomes playable within the game; and, the player can select from various clothing and other accoutrements, allowing players to customize the look of their chosen duelist.
* Increase your duelist’s power with special artifacts. Artifacts are magical relics with varying effects that, when used correctly, enhance a duelist’s chances of victory. Every time a single-player chapter is completed by defeating that chapter’s sub-boss, you can select one of several artifacts to add to his collection.
* Xbox Live features will include: a global ranking and statistics system; new downloadable content; convenient cross title invitations; opponent feedback forums; a robust friends list; voice chat; and more.