Relive the victories and defeats of a thousand years … from the fall of Rome to the Middle Ages. Control entire armies … build whole civilizations … discover new lands and technologies. Experience this incredible sequel today.
* Players can use garrisoning, military formations, and advantages in direction facing add interesting tactical choices. Units are also smarter, with new artificial intelligence (AI) options like Guard, Patrol and Follow as well as multiple aggression levels. Also boats will be able to ram or board enemy ships to capture them.
* Players can improve the economy of their civilization through expanded trade and diplomacy options. In addition to gathering resources, they can trade at their own market or use trading routes with their allies. A market-based economy gives new options for players to buy, sell, and speculate on resources.
* Gamers command one of 13 mighty civilizations. These include Franks, Japanese, Byzantine and the raiding Viking, Mongol and Celt civilizations. Each civilization has unique attributes, buildings and technologies as well as a particular combat unit based on its historical counterpart.
* Production queues, improved navigation points and customizable hot-key systems have been added. In addition, more audio cues make empire management easier. Map shortcuts like gathering points make it easier for players to coordinate and plan their battles.
* Players have more than a thousand years of evolution to build their nation into a powerful, flourishing empire. Buildings and units upgrade and improve as players pass through the Middle Ages.
* In contrast to the linear game play found in other real-time games, Age of Empires II lets gamers choose one of several ways to achieve world domination and ultimate victory: Domination of enemy civilizations, Economic victory through accumulation of wealth, Building and defending wonders of the world
* Age of Empires II lets gamers choose from numerous technological paths to help lead their civilization to greatness. From an economic path of farming and craftsmanship to a military route of siege and naval warfare, the game comes with a technology tree that has more than 100 nodes, larger than one player could possibly complete in just one game.
* Experience intense single and multiplayer game play. Enhanced historical campaigns, a random map generator and a scenario and campaign editor offer players extensive replay value.
* Multiplayer game support Internet play for up to eight players via the Microsoft Internet Gaming Zone (http://www.zone.com/), over a LAN or modem to modem.