Bohemia Interactive’s online survival game DayZ today launched on XBOX One. Placing you in a walking-dead style scenario where society has fallen to an unknown epidemic, DayZ gives each player a single task: survive as long as you can, by all means necessary.
With DayZ’s authentic approach to survival mechanics that allow for rich player interaction, the gameplay goes beyond just being the last man standing. This is not Battle Royale. This is DayZ.
Despite not directly featuring any storytelling mechanics, the post-apocalyptic open world of DayZ presents a unique online sandbox where every decision adds up to create your own personal story. When all 60 players on a server engage in this completely unscripted survival scenario, the resulting emergent gameplay leads to intense player interactions — some action-packed and short, and some involving long, sophisticated roleplay with very real emotions that you remember long after.
Following the release today, Bohemia Interactive will continue in post-launch development of DayZ with free platform updates scheduled to drop throughout 2019. These updates will further expand the content available in DayZ (adding new weapons and vehicles) and go more in-depth with some of the existing gameplay concepts.
DayZ’s XBOX One launch has been made possible thanks to a massive help of the Xbox Game Preview community of players. Over the past months, over 500,000 players jumped in to DayZ on Xbox Game Preview and helped to improve the game in many areas. Some of the key improvements in controls, inventory management and performance are addressed in today’s launch update.
On XBOX One, players can get a digital copy of DayZ directly in the Microsoft Store for $49.99 / £41.99 / €49.99. The game is also out now on Steam for PC and is coming to Playstation 4 later this year.
This is DayZ – This is Your Story
The post-soviet country of Chernarus is struck by an unknown virus, turning the majority population into frenzied infected. Fighting over resources has bred a hostile mentality among survivors, driving what’s left of humanity to collapse. You are one of the few immune to the virus – how far will you go to survive?
DayZ is an unforgiving, authentic survival experience. Up to 60 survivors on a server engage in a completely unscripted gameplay scenario with no goals given, except for one: to survive as long as they can, by all means necessary. There are no superficial tips, way-points, built-in tutorials, or help given to players. Every decision matters, and every mistake can be lethal. If you die in DayZ, you lose all your character progress and start over, as the game features a permadeath concept.
In DayZ, hostile player interactions – or simply just struggling through severe weather – can easily turn into intense, nerve-racking moments where you experience very real emotions. On the other hand, meeting with another friendly survivor in DayZ can lead to a true friendship that lasts a lifetime.
- Detailed, authentic backdrop of Chernarus, an open world terrain featuring 230 square kilometres of hand-crafted environment based on real life locations
- Real emotional experience driven by the emergent interactions of 60 players on the server, all fighting for survival by any means necessary
- Environmental dangers including the infected, dynamic weather, and animal predators
- Wide variety of complex survival mechanics – from hunting and crafting, through sophisticated injury simulation, to transferable diseases
- Persistent servers with complex loot economy, and the ability to build improvised bases
- Visceral, authentic gun play and melee combat systems
- Smooth and reactive character controller utilizing a detailed animation system
- Rewarding and authentic experience of driving vehicles for travel and material transport