Reventure is set to leave Early Access on June 4th after one year of polishing and periodic updates. The game will be available on Steam for $5.99.
Reventure could be described as a “choose your own adventure” book in the shape of a 2D platformer.
It starts out from the classic monomyth premise: “You are a hero, the princess is in danger, go rescue her!” but it quickly gets more complicated than that – until it completely diverges into something completely non-standard.
The gameplay takes place in short-lived runs. You start with a clear goal in mind, but the game throws at you some button, trap, treasure or enemy that will make you deviate from your path into a completely new situation. You’ll also discover something new on the process and end up your story with a feeling of “What if I had done THAT instead?”.
That feeling will drive your next goal, closing the loop over and over and wrapping up a surprisingly addictive loop.
On the first runs, the game is all about exploration. When you start knowing your whereabouts, it smoothly transitions into a completionist experience, where you want to achieve every possible ending. As you approach the late game it transforms once again, this time into a puzzle platformer where you have to carefully plan your journey in order to discover the more exotic endings.
- Reventure will leave Early Access with 100% positive reviews from more than 100 reviewers.
- It features a dynamic story system in a “groundhog day” fashion, but with persistent effects.
- A Twitch integration enables users on a streamer’s chat to take control of the hero’s dialogs.
- The world stays almost the same, being the player the one that changes after every run.
- If a character dies, it is for good. A new character will take over and the story will progress.
- The original sound track (available here) features more than 15 original themes.
- Under that innocent, pixelated, look hides an indie beast with more than 10 hours of content.