Kingston just announced a new SATA SSD and we recently had a chance to check out some of their newer products. This new drive features a new energy efficient mode.
Kingston announced a new M.2 2280 SATA SSD. Shipping next week, the new 22mm x 80mm dimension provides a thin, caseless and compact form factor ideal for new notebook platforms such as Ultrabooks, smaller design embedded systems, ultra-thin computing devices and motherboards that support the recently released Intel® Z97 chipset.
M.2 2280 SATA SSD features advanced garbage collection, wear leveling and TRIM support to keep drive performance consistent over the life of the drive. SATA DevSleep™ allows efficient power management and minimal power consumption while also allowing devices to stay on and connected without necessarily reducing battery life. M.2 2280 SSD also features firmware-based power-loss protection to maintain data integrity in case of unexpected power loss or unsafe shutdown.
“We are proud to release the new M.2 form factor to the channel for both consumer and corporate customers upgrading their systems, as well as the system builder community when designing new embedded applications,” said Ariel Perez, SSD business manager, Kingston®. “This is an exciting follow-up to our previously released OEM-only M.2 2260 SATA SSD used in certain models of the ASUS Zenbook™.”
M.2 2280 SATA SSD ships initially in the 120GB capacity with 240GB and 480GB to follow in Q3. It is backed by a three-year warranty, free technical support and legendary Kingston reliability.
For more information please visit www.kingston.com.
M.2 2280 SATA SSD Features & Specifications:
- Popular M.2 Size: 22mm width, 80mm length
- NAND Flash memory-based: shock-resistant with lower power consumption
- Supports Intel’s SRT: combines capacity advantage of HDD with performance improvements of SSD in dual-storage configuration
- Supports S.M.A.R.T.: monitors the status of your drive
- Supports TRIM: maintains maximum performance of compatible operating systems
- Guaranteed: 3-year warranty and free technical support
- Form factor: M.2 2280
- Interface: SATA Rev. 3.0 (6Gb/s) – with backwards compatibility to SATA Rev. 2.0
- Capacities1: 120GB
- Baseline Performance2:
- Compressible Data Transfer (ATTO): 550MB/s Read and 520MB/s Write
- Incompressible Data Transfer (AS-SSD and CrystalDiskMark):
500MB/s Read and 330MB/s Write
- IOMETER: Maximum Random 4k Read/Write up to 66,000/ up to 65,000 IOPS
Random 4k Read/Write up to 46,000/ up to 4,500 IOPS
- PCMARK® Vantage HDD Suite Score: 56,000
- PCMARK® 8 Storage Bandwidth: 215 MB/s
- Power consumption: 0.09 W Idle / 1.11 W Avg / 1.02W (MAX) Read / 2.86 W (MAX) Write
- Storage temperature: -40°C ~ 85°C
- Operating temperature: 0°C ~ 70°C
- Dimensions: 80mm x 22mm x 3.5mm
- Weight: 7.36g
- Vibration operating: 2.17G Peak (7–800Hz)
- Vibration non-operating: 20G Peak (10–2000Hz)
- Life expectancy: 1 million hours MTBF
- Warranty/support: 3-year warranty with free technical support
- Total Bytes Written (TBW)3: 230TB x 1.8 DWPD4