Awesomenauts is an upcoming 2D brawler that seems to have a flavor of Smash Bros. See below for some official news tidbits about the upcoming game. Stay tune for more details:
Did you know that MOBA stands for Multiplayer Online Battle Arena? It's true! Did you also know the upcoming XBLA and PSN game Awesomenauts actually is a MOBA? It is! In Awesomenauts, two teams of 3 players battle it out for honor, glory and of course experience points!
But sometimes those roommates on your couch might get bored of watching you dominate matches using your Awesome(nauts) skills. Well, why not invite them to join you using the splitscreen feature? You can play with up to three people on a single console. So you can form your own team and take on the galaxy! And if your friends need some training first, you can try the offline practice mode where the bots will provide the challenge. So off- or online, you can take your friends along for the ride.
To give you a better idea on the split screen mode, the awesome guys at Ronimo sculpted a new split screen trailer, which can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv7uvyiYpP0
Awesomenauts is currently in the final stages of development, and will be released on the PlayStation Network (PSN) and Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) in a few weeks' time. A definitive release date and price will be announced as soon as possible.
The year is 3587, conflict spans the stars. Huge robot armies are locked in an enduring stalemate. At the centre is a team of elite mercenaries fighting for the spoils of war: The Awesomenauts.
Combining the gameplay of classic 2D-platforming titles with that of modern, fast-paced MOBA-games, Awesomenauts allows up to six players to battle against one-another across multiple alien worlds. Featuring a playable roster of six unique heroes, Awesomenauts brings ferocious team play and angry, lightsaber-wielding aliens together.
Awesomenauts will soon be available for download on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network.
* For the first time in galactic history, Awesomenauts will bring the popular MOBA genre to the 2D plane with rich, detailed environments!
* Adrenaline-pumping action with up to 3 players staining your couch, or 6 players online!
* A roster of six unique playable mercenaries, each featuring their own set of skills and upgrades!
* Advanced matchmaking options, which allow you to queue up for online matches without forcing you to wait in a matchmaking lobby!
* Unlock over 100 unique items to beef up your abilities and customize your personal playing style for each match!
* Face melting battles across multiple exotic planets and alien spaceships!