Question of the Day

spudlyff8fan said:
Yeah, but the most important part of a strategy is risk and reward. Basketball's only real risk and reward thing is the inverse relationship between the distance from the hoop and the likelihood of making a shot. There is no real plan in a basketball game. There's just the plan to pass and shoot until you get it into the hole for more points than the other team. Granted, hockey and soccer work essentially the same way...but since basketball removes the whole allowance of contact, and I lived in New England during the days of Ray Bourque, hockey just has more to it (not gonna defend soccer, though, but at least there's more of a defensive vs offensive balance that's necessitated).

You can have as many forms that put various strains on the opponent...but that applies to every team sport there is. .

I just can't agree with your assessment of basketball because you even admit that the simplified description fits just about any team sport that involves scoring points against an opponent. Contact, or the lack thereof, is a preference and is not a definition of risk. The amount of perceived physical violence encouraged by the rules of a sport may provide additional appeal for the more voyeuristic aspects of viewing a spectacle (such as some NASCAR viewers who are drawn to fiery crashes), but does not objectively set the game apart as being more "strategic" or "defense" oriented because another game utilizes different rules.

The risk in all sports is FAILURE. Whether it is being tackled on offense in Football while failing to make the first down, or striking out with the winning run in scoring position in baseball, to letting in that soft goal in overtime in hockey or during injury time in soccer. All team sports feature strategic uses of different tools -- in some cases, violence -- to achieve success while avoiding failure despite the mosaic of bodies in motion...the chaos of human teammates and opponents. In basketball, you prevent the success of the opposing team by creating traps, anticipating deceptive maneuvers and maintaining a perimeter that forces the majority of shots to be attempted from farther back. In fact, if football is like a landwar, hockey, basketball and soccer are among the closes things to aerial dogfighting there is.

If you were a fan of the Pistons in the 80's or the Knicks in the 90's, there was a great deal of risk in attempting to get the ball to the basket. Defending CAN be a punishing affair in basketball (I've sprained my ankle, knee, and two of my fingers while also losing my big toenail...playing PICKUP games!). Anyone who says there's no contact in basketball should try preventing someone five inches taller and 20 lbs. heavier from posting up under the basket.

Yeah....
I love football, soccer, and basketball. And I play soccer all the time.
scribe999 said:
I don't think I've ever seen anything funnier/cooler than the time Vince Carter LITERALLY jumped OVER a 7 foot tall French guy and dunked the ball during international play.
Haha, that's something I'll never forget. Completely awesome...

And my last family reunion was a few years ago. In one of the southern islands...

Question of the Day:

Who's going to take over QotD while I'm in Maine?

My money's on Basil - but whoever does it has my blessing.

hmmmm my money is on kurruption, and whats in maine? the great lakes? some one night stand? or just need time alone to get over how horrible kurruption rejected you on the other thread? anyways whatever you do I hope you have lots of fun and lots of unprotected sex, cause that's the best kind!

I would do what I'm doing (cause when I wasn't I was bored), but I'd maybe run a comic book shoppe on the side, even if it was a losing money business.

Design video games that explore personal themes, with each game in retrospect exhibiting some natural progression, so that I have in essence manifested my worldview and a part of myself throughout time. Hopefully the games would be somewhat fun, unique/original, and worth something to someone in the world.

QOTD: What will you be dressing up as for halloween?

Some friends and I are going to go to a party as a scene from pulp fiction, we all chose which scene but we drew from a hat which character we were gonna play. We shall all be part of the Ving Rhames\Bruce Willis scene. I'm the cop from the rape scene, and I sure as hell am glad I wasn't the gimp.

Ok, I've been out of the loop for a bit. Here is my two cents.

DUKE BASKETBALL RULES WOOHOO

And I went as a skeleton type thing for Halloween to this party on Saturday night. I got this Victorian type jacket from the costume store and a cravat and stuff. Then I bought some face makeup and actually did an ok job with it.

My friend went as White Goodman from Dodgeball. The facial similarities were startling.

I won't be dressing up this year....in fact, this is the first year in a while where we'll be chilling at home with the new baby.....Looks like no more Halloween Bashes at our house for a little while........Last year was soooo much fun.........I was a perverted old man and my wife was the nurse....haha

QOTD: Do you think video games will ever surpass movies as an industry?

I think yes. There are already a number of people who say they'd rather spend $50 on a game that they will enjoy for 15 or 20 hours than $10 on a movie they will only enjoy for 2 hours. Kids growing up are playing more games than watching TV, year by year. Eventually, as on Star Trek, I believe that the two media will merge. Technology will allow you to be a part of the movie.

Yeah, it seems like the most likely scenario. As you said, kids are growing up and playing games more than watching movies and stuff. Those kids are gonna grow up playing increasingly more sophisticated games, both technically and artistically. As adults, video games will have influenced their lives as much as films influenced and shaped the lives of people like it did in the latter half of the 20th century. I'm sure it will replace film as the primary form of entertainment. Movies will then go the way of something like theater, and you'll probably see movies kind of go into weird, deep meta-territory with cheap digital cameras and production. I love movies, but it just seems like this is how it's going to be. Movies have grown so much and will have grown even more by that time. The boundaries of film will be reached, and the only direction to go will be to dive into the inner dimensions. This is happening to some extent now. Video games, on the other hand, have got a lot of territory to explore (and too many developers not exploring it seemingly). So much to be done with interactivity.

Your logic presents a new and interesting possibility.

Do you think that games will be made at home, as "home movies" are?

It's only a matter of somebody coming up with super simple 3D rendering and animation software, and a really easy programming language or method.

it's going to happen. People have been dabbling in mods for years. All that has to happen is for someone to figure out how to make it accessible to the average Joe, and make him want it.