Question of the Day

if I found something worthy of doing so. I would also need to be debt free (excepting maybe a mortgage). I did visit a friend at college on Monday and sat through one of his classes. It was fun. If I went back, I would be a much better student.

I would say that $4M would be enough. That gives you the ability to invest the lump sum in a number or high interest savings accounts or guaranteed interest bonds. Under a relatively stable economy, you'd earn well over $100,000 a year on interest alone. Probably closer to $200,000, once you got it all invested and had a well staggered maturity schedule. (if you don't know what any of that means, you should really learn about long-term investment at your bank - it's friggin' cool).

In just a few years, once you really had your money working for you, you would have no trouble purchasing a really great house wherever you wanted and carry the mortgage with ease. Also, you wouldn't HAVE to work. I would write, or save a bit and launch a business.

Sounds like a plan to me. I would go for that much money. Although I would like a little more to afford the equipment I want for a few special projects. So up it to 5 mil.

I'd want 10 million myself. I just like the sound of that number. Nice and round, without being too greedy.

scoops said:
What special projects are those?

First, I will buy my dad's business and upgrade the equipment (it's a shop for upfitting tractor trailers). I would then (as owner) change the color of the uniforms to pink because my brother works there.

Next, I would have one bay of that shop used for sword-making, steel art projects, etc. There would be a paint booth installed and a fiberglass shop. That's in Charlotte. I'm in Kentucky, so I'll need my own shop up here and a jet to commute back and forth. I'll also need some wicked nasty PCs and Macs in my art studio complete with huge scanner, high-end digital cameras, and massive printers.

I would also buy a controlling share in a major publisher (maybe Tor since they do fantasy books) so I can definitely get my book published. I'll publish yours too, Basil.

The next project would be a house like non-other. But that is for another post...

Darth_Jonas said:
I would also buy a controlling share in a major publisher (maybe Tor since they do fantasy books) so I can definitely get my book published. I'll publish yours too, Basil.

Just an FYI, but Tor books is an imprint under the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a non-publicly traded, GINORMOUS publishing company based out of Stuttgart, Germany. Tor itself is organized as a LLC, and would have to be purchased in its entirety from the parent.

I only know this because I turned down a job with St. Martin's Press back in 1998. St. Martin's was the controlling entity under which Tor operated, and they were owned by Holtzbrinck. Holtzbrinck decided to reorganize their publishing divisions that year and placed Tor under the direct control of the publishing group itself. Most Science Fiction and Fantasy imprints (the largely successful ones) are organized that way. DAW and Ace are owned by Penguin Putnam and Baen is owned by Simon & Schuster.

Oh, I would love to be rich, but right now I'd settle for $27K. to erase my college loan debt once and for all.

figures that they aren't publicly traded. Ah well. I'll just have to take over the world first and then the publishing houses. You do have a point about the money, Scribe. If I were entirely out of debt (mortgage included), I would be set.

Question of the Day:

Who are you rooting for in the World Series?

I honestly don't care a lot about either team, but I guess I'll have to with the Cardinals.

Tigers, cuz I guess they're a better feel-good story, and since I don't really care for either team that much. But the Tigers last won in the year I was born, so it would be fitting they win it again now that they're back. Or something.

I'm a Yankee fan, and thus, an American League fan. So, I'm pulling for the Tigers.

If the Cardinals win, I won't be disappointed. I like the fact that these are two classic franchises who have both been around for over a century. It's just fun to see that kind of history dragged out with these two teams.

Well...I kinda hope for the Tigers. I just feel bad for Detroit. I mean...between the Red Wings and the Lions...they don't have much going for them.

honestly I think baseball is starting to die out just like boxing, and I could give a rats ass who wins, all I want is for it to end quickly so I can get more new family guy on sundays.

kurruption said:
honestly I think baseball is starting to die out just like boxing, and I could give a rats ass who wins, all I want is for it to end quickly so I can get more new family guy on sundays.

Despite the steroids stuff going on, baseball is certainly more stable than boxing. The MLB is a multi-billion dollar a year organization. Boxing makes as much as Minor-League baseball does nowadays. Baseball is still alive and kicking.

Boxing has a hard time winning over new fans with arbitrary ranking systems, corrupt commissioners, inept (or possibly even additionally corrupt) judges and a massively broken system of managing standards across the country and throughout the world. No fighter today could hold Muhammed Ali's jockstrap either.

Everything scribe said needs to be re-iterated for emphasis:

Despite the steroids stuff going on, baseball is certainly more stable than boxing. The MLB is a multi-billion dollar a year organization. Boxing makes as much as Minor-League baseball does nowadays. Baseball is still alive and kicking.

Boxing has a hard time winning over new fans with arbitrary ranking systems, corrupt commissioners, inept (or possibly even additionally corrupt) judges and a massively broken system of managing standards across the country and throughout the world. No fighter today could hold Muhammed Ali's jockstrap either.

And I would say half of today's boxers can't hold anything to Ali, or Smokin' Joe, or Sugar Ray.

I hate baseball. There's no better cure for insomnia. Where else can you have an awesome game when no one hits the ball (as in a no-hitter)? I would watch tennis, golf, or bass fishing before I'd watch baseball.

For that matter, I'd watch a session of Congress before watching baseball.