Question of the Day

I can't stand racing sports for the most part (horse or car) unless gambling is involved. Heck, I can watch any sport/game if money is on the line. Spelling Bees, World's Strongest Man, PBA Bowling, or Domino championships, can all be made that much more interesting if cash is on the line.

Bowling has to be the worst sport to watch in the world. When you get good enough to watch, you pretty much bowl an almost perfect game every time.

I'd rather watch a sport and wait for someone to do something great, than watch and wait for someone to screw up.

Agree with Scoops and Scribe. The bowling trick shot competition is alright, though. Go ahead and throw pool and poker in there.

Anyway, I'll go with poker, if you consider that a sport. If not, then one of the others. It's pretty sad when it's more entertaining to watch a sport where a guy slides a huge object down a lane of ice and a bunch of guys have to follow and sweep around it. CURLING RULES.

Basketball. At least racings has crashes, tennis has short skirts, golf has the putt whiffs and curling has the funny Canadians sweeping their asses off.

baseball. I've already stated why. It sucks as a sport. And if someone says it's better if there's beer, I've got to say you'd get the same enjoyment enhancement when watching grass grow.

Of all these sports we stated that we don't like watching, how many people have actually played or studied the respective sports? I know that I have in the past dissed some sport for being too boring to watch until I actually tried it out. If I liked it, it changed my perception of how entertaining it is to watch it, because there's something about knowing first-hand what all goes into it. I didn't like watching golf until I played it, and now I like to watch it occasionally. I think this has something to do with our empathetic qualities as humans.

BTW, I'm surprised no one has mentioned soccer yet. For the record, I like watching it, and that is in spite of never really playing it. Strange.

I've played and researched basketball. But really....what is there to research? You bounce the ball and throw it in the hole. That's pretty much the entire game.

I like bowling...I just don't like to watch bowling. I've tried golf, but it just doesn't catch my interest as something to do or watch. I watch all the top four North American team sports (football, basketball, baseball and hockey), but to be fair, it's easier if you have local teams nearby in each of the sports to pique your interests.

As for soccer, I actually inherited an appreciation of the game from my dad and a variety of friends. We played "football" often in school and in pickup games where I grew up. It didn't hurt that a lot of people I went to elementary school with were first generation kids as well...mostly from families hailing from Central and South America.

C'mon spudz, that's the same basic argument you can use for any sport, to simplify it down to that level. To me that's no different than saying football is throwing a football to a teammate and then having them avoid the other team until he makes it to the other side. :p

Then you naturally respond about the various intricacies of football, about different types of offenses, different defensive alignments, laterals, touchbacks, play fakes, audibles, etc. etc. The same kind of in-depth reasoning can be applied to basketball and just about any sport.

Not with basketball. Basketball is a simple game with simple rules that has no real strategy or nuances to set it apart.

And laterals and touchbacks...? Come, come, Roach.

What sets basketball apart as the worst sport is that it doesn't result in boners (which happens only from female tennis players, mind you), destruction (racing's only up point) or comical embarassment (seriously...I laugh when Tiger Woods ends up hitting a putt too hard and it bounces over the hole).

the_roach said:
Of all these sports we stated that we don't like watching, how many people have actually played or studied the respective sports? I know that I have in the past dissed some sport for being too boring to watch until I actually tried it out. If I liked it, it changed my perception of how entertaining it is to watch it, because there's something about knowing first-hand what all goes into it. I didn't like watching golf until I played it, and now I like to watch it occasionally. I think this has something to do with our empathetic qualities as humans.

BTW, I'm surprised no one has mentioned soccer yet. For the record, I like watching it, and that is in spite of never really playing it. Strange.

I've played them all and researched more. Baseball is decent to play, but sucks to watch. My dad owns a racecar, but I don't really care to watch NASCAR or any other racing. Football is the only one that holds my attention. I don't really care to watch soccer (even though I've played some) or hockey (never played it), but it isn't horrible if it's on tv.

spudlyff8fan said:
Not with basketball. Basketball is a simple game with simple rules that has no real strategy or nuances to set it apart.

And laterals and touchbacks...? Come, come, Roach.

What sets basketball apart as the worst sport is that it doesn't result in boners (which happens only from female tennis players, mind you), destruction (racing's only up point) or comical embarassment (seriously...I laugh when Tiger Woods ends up hitting a putt too hard and it bounces over the hole).

No strategy? Spuds, with your reasoning, all sports can be boiled down to "simply carry an oblong object over a painted line", "kick the ball into the goal", "hit the puck into a goal" or "hit the ball and run around a diamond". I can understand not liking basketball (I'm kinda in a funk about the NBA myself), but to say that it's the least strategic of sports is ridiculous. Full court press, zone defense, double screens, pick and rolls, isolation plays, high post, low post and a host of other set plays and strategies make up the game of basketball.

By contrast, though I like football, I get irritated with the number of stoppages in the game because the players have to be set like a chessboard of three minutes. Sometimes TOO much strategy (like in the ninth inning of a close National League game) can make you snore.

As for "boners", I don't think I've ever seen anything funnier/cooler than the time Vince Carter LITERALLY jumped OVER a 7 foot tall French guy and dunked the ball during international play.

scoops said:
I don't think he was talking about that kind of boner.

You're right...then the "comical embarrassment" part...because nothing could be more embarrassing to a 7 foot-tall Frederic Weiss than to see a clip showing Vince Carter flying over his head like Frederic was a wee, little person.

Question of the Day:

When was your last family reunion?

The last official one was last summer for my grandfather's birthday. This weekend I'll be heading up to Maine to attend another one (this time it's my grandmother's birthday). Remind me to bring medication.

scribe999 said:
No strategy? Spuds, with your reasoning, all sports can be boiled down to "simply carry an oblong object over a painted line", "kick the ball into the goal", "hit the puck into a goal" or "hit the ball and run around a diamond". I can understand not liking basketball (I'm kinda in a funk about the NBA myself), but to say that it's the least strategic of sports is ridiculous. Full court press, zone defense, double screens, pick and rolls, isolation plays, high post, low post and a host of other set plays and strategies make up the game of basketball.

By contrast, though I like football, I get irritated with the number of stoppages in the game because the players have to be set like a chessboard of three minutes. Sometimes TOO much strategy (like in the ninth inning of a close National League game) can make you snore.

As for "boners", I don't think I've ever seen anything funnier/cooler than the time Vince Carter LITERALLY jumped OVER a 7 foot tall French guy and dunked the ball during international play.
Yeah, but the most important part of a strategy is risk and reward. Basketball's only real risk and reward thing is the inverse relationship between the distance from the hoop and the likelihood of making a shot. There is no real plan in a basketball game. There's just the plan to pass and shoot until you get it into the hole for more points than the other team. Granted, hockey and soccer work essentially the same way...but since basketball removes the whole allowance of contact, and I lived in New England during the days of Ray Bourque, hockey just has more to it (not gonna defend soccer, though, but at least there's more of a defensive vs offensive balance that's necessitated).

You can have as many forms that put various strains on the opponent...but that applies to every team sport there is.

Though, basketball isn't the least strategic sport. Just the least strategic team sport.

And yeah, by boners I mean the Kournikova (sp?) special.

As for the last reunion...my family doesn't have ACTUAL "reunions." We get together for things like Christmas, Thanksgiving and 4th of July.

about 7 years ago, nobody was in prison, parole or probation. Everybody could travel and everyone had a job, lets just say it'll be a while before that happens agian.