The Wii Countdown

Gran i'm with you on the list. But you forgot Metroid Prime 3. 4/5 days left. I'm filled with so much excitiment I can barly contain myelf.

But wait one min there Spuddy PDZ was a lame ass game that did nothing for the better game that was..............ON THE 64. Kameo was really childish and was a lackluster game to begin with. I played the game and was real mad that I did. I only beat the game because I love gamer points. I might give you Condemed but I don't really care for it. And again Ports, you want to clown the Wii or Nintendo for haveing ports but when the 360/PS3 does it it's fine? Whatever I'm done with this, I no longer feel as if you are worth the time.

spudlyff8fan said:
It's not being pessimistic. It's being realistic. Does anybody here actually think that the Wii is going to change anything? Seriously. It's not going to. Nintendo is going to try to change things. Nintendo is going to encourage publishers to change things. But it isn't gonna happen. And there's no case to the contrary.

The Wii isn't going to attract non-gamers any more than any other console. The Wiimote isn't going to be standard for games after this generation. The Wiimote will have very few games that actually use it. Period.

The 360 launch did not suck. It had three exclusive games that got above-80% media rankings (Kameo, PDZ and Condemned), four ports that had an above-80% media ranking (CoD2, King Kong, PGR3 and NFS Most Wanted) and only one game with a below-70% media ranking (NBA Live 2006). So yeah...you're wrong.

Realism is pessimism. Realistically, no one gives a %&$# about games because they're a stupid toy for kids and people who won't grow up. It's escapism at it's worst, and you'd be the worst perpetrator of this for not only playing them, but taking this kind of discussion so seriously when you could be reading a book or getting out for some exercise. Realism is an excuse. If you want to be a realist, go spend your life studying quantum physics. Realism has no place in a thread about how excited people are for something most of them have never really seen before.

The Wii will change nothing. The DS already did the changing, the deep shift in the industry's DNA, and those changes will become clearer in the future. Sony already made a shift to adapt to it. See? Changes.

The Wii won't attract non-gamers (and lapsed gamers) because the DS has already attracted them with Brain Training. My mother wants a DS. A Smith graduate, Yale Divinity school graduate, an ordained minister who works in Christian Education, 48 years old, has and plays a DS. So of course something with more color, space, and ease of use won't attract people who've been intimidated out of it before. Realism, you say? I've seen lots of people who gave up on games return. Those are real people and not your swivel-chair frownsmanship.

Lastly, no, the 360 launch didn't suck, but if you believe in numbers that means it's got nothing to prove and won't be the dominant force of the next generation. We'll see a generation like the N64/PS1 generation where the winner is less clear because both had won key victories. And for all of it's good ratings, the 360 launch brought nothing special or different besides a higher polycount and richer textures to the game. N64 brought a sensible way to control 3D games, and if you can't appreciate how groundbreaking that was, then you've been spoiled.

I won't get my hands on a Wii until, at the very best, December 15th. But I'm just crazy enough and enthusiastic enough to buy the controller while I wait. But I'm considering that for all three, now that they're all wireless, and that I consider gaming to be highly social for any console. The last thing I want to hear is "but we're one controller short." I'm too big of a nerd for that.

1. Zelda: Twilight Princess
2. Mario Galaxy
3. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
4. Super Paper Mario
5. Red Steel
6. Wii Sports

Those are the games I am POSITIVELY going to buy. Not sure about the others.

And yes, that means I'm only interested in 3 of the launch games.

Well, Luda. Nobody agrees with you, and it's a statistically proven fact. And the difference between the 360 ports is that 1) they're enhanced ports of past-gen games, meaning they are taking already-solid games, and upgrading the graphics (not counting the sports games) or 2) they're PC games ported to the 360 with no graphical nerfing. The Wii will require loads of graphical downgrading, and the amount of on-screen action is going to have to be cut in half (as stated by Game Informer when they interviewed Ubisoft Montreal about the game's ports).

Realism is pessimism
No it isn't. The cup is half full...but nobody's gonna drink out of it. Realism has a place everywhere. Because it's REAL And the circumstances being described by me is what's ACTUALLY going to happen. Not the ideal situation that everyone is thinking is going to happen. Pessimism would be saying "Nintendo is going to go out of business and Miyamoto is going to kill himself. Now I'm going to go cut myself and listen to Green Day because I'm dark."

The DS didn't change much. Sure, TIME and CNN have done some articles about Brain Age and such on a slow day...but that's it. There are probably 12 people who have bought a DS because of that, and maybe a Nintendo-sponsored doctor in Seattle. Really, it had no real impact in the gaming industry that any other Nintendo handheld didn't.

The first part of your paragraph after that made no sense...but how can you say that there wasn't a clear winner and lose in the N64/PS1 (and you forgot the Saturn) generation? I think the 30 million less N64s sold than SNESs and the 70 million more PS1s sold say it pretty clearly. Sony won and the others failed miserably. And you think the N64 was the first game to effectively do 3d games? I laugh at that. The N64 brought nothing new to the table. Period. All it did was take the third parties and a lot of money off Nintendo's table and put em right on Sony's.

And....yeah...that was just generally unimportant.

Hey I think that Zelda is a automatic buy for almost everyone getting a Wii. It's like You buy a Wii and you pay $300 and get Zelda and Wii sports for free. Everything Else is extra or option. So here is my list of all the thing I'm getting day one.

Wii/Wii Sports
Zelda
Red Steel
Extra Wii-Mote
2000 Wii Points
SD memory Card ( I'm trying to get a cheap one that wont caost much)
And If I can use my Wavebird to play the classic games I'll get the Nun-Chuck, if not I'll get the retro thing.

I heard that most stores are selling their bundles only.....which is usually an outrageous price for those....which kind of irks me.....And is also why i'm glad i'm waiting a little while for a Wii....But you guys have to promise me that you'll let me know what your experience is with it when you get it....Plus, kind of like a wrench in the plans of others, Nintendo announced yesterday that they would be bringing out an updated Wii with DVD playback, but it won't be out til latter part of 2007......Now, normally, most people don't care about if it has DVD playback right now.....And most peeps have like 3 DVD players in their house already (if you count using the 360 as one, i have 4 then)....But i'm a tech guy, so i can't wait to see what kind of new offering the company that Nintendo chose to put them together DVD playback has to offer....It can't be that outstanding if Nintendo isn't offering HDTV output on the Wii....but hey, who knows...at least they're offering the internet with the Wii.....which is totally badass IMO......soooo, i'll just wait to see when stores have SOME available Wiis and then i'll snatch mine up....but only if it is a basic package, not the 700 dollar one that some stores are offering.....Just like my 360, i like to put my own system together without all the extra games and stuff....but, that's just me =)

spudz said:
And you think the N64 was the first game to effectively do 3d games? I laugh at that. The N64 brought nothing new to the table. Period.

Oh really? If the N64 only gave us Super Mario 64, then it would have been worth it.

SM64 was a landmark masterpiece. At the time, it was Miyamoto's essay on the future of video games, on spatial complexity and interaction with the aid of a dynamic camera. Not to rest on his laurels, Miyamoto and his team also created the notion that the camera is not just a camera in the usual sense, but something that can deliver an aesthetic experience parallel to the gameplay. Shadow of the Colossus is perhaps the greatest modern example. In other words, camera as a second character. It was an essay because SM64 didn't have much in the way of tradition that it was borrowing from. So, with that said, it was a pivotal template by which all console designers interested in creating dynamic, spatially engaging worlds used. People who make anything--be it games, movies, books, etc--don't live and work in a void. Most everything is interconnected, a reaction to reactions, ideas built upon ideas.

And I maintain to all: I don't see what the big deal is with this whole business about video game business. To focus on that to me is depressing. You might as well be a cow grazing in the field. At the end of the day, what can you gain from arguing about who's winning what or who will win? Satisfaction from some perceived superior argument or position? You're definitely not getting monetary compensation for being a message board pundit. :p

Asylum, what package deals have you seen I have seen none but the ones on the net. MY old job offers a package but thats with any system the sell. It's mainly the stuff you would buy when you go into to buy a system. You must get 2 games or a game and controller. So it's really the system and two $50 extras. Other than that I have yet to hear of any. And how does a $250 system come out to a PS3 they must offer some crazy thing with it like a......Lap Dance.

i think it would be cool to play the ocarina of time on the wii. i have it for n64, but i dont want to fish it out of my closet and then pull out my tv to hook it up.

and aslo last night my brother came home from best buy and he had the Gears of War Cardboard sign/shelf. its pretty tight, im using it to store games and controllers.

Realism says "Sony has serious market share, but is risking a lot with that price point. While Nintendo has priced their unit at a profit to defend against risk, and seeing no chance to overcome the marketing muscle of Sony and Microsoft are seeking an alternate route instead of fighting a saturated market." Realism doesn't do cups. And realism doesn't assume things will pass.

Nintendo's got a lot going for them, moreso now than last generation where they could only rely on their franchises without giving anyone a reason to care about them, and calling them out now is evidence of your ignorance.

I like arguing with fools because it's practice for the day I argue with an intellegnet someone worth arguing with. They've mostly agreed with me in the past, so I've got to practice somewhere.

Actually, they aren't risking it. Preorders were capped within minutes at game stores. And the PS3 is the most-wanted next gen console in Europe and Japan, and is still in no way being hampered in America.

Me? Ignorant? I laugh at that.

And you call what you're doing "arguing"? I'd say it's more along the lines of prattle.

And Roach...

Mario 64 was one of the greatest games of all time. But Mario 64 was not the first game to effectively use a 3d environment, contrary to popular misconception. I explained this somewhere else...I'll try and find it.

Of course it's most wanted. It's a shiny new toy with the Sony logo on the side. For a time people thought the shiny new PSP was going to take over Nintendo's long running place as king of handheld entertainment. And now, after the fact, people voted with their wallets and would rather play a console that launched with awful ports of old games with an unproved new control set up stuck onto it with hideously inferior graphics because of inclusive games that can stun players with new ideas and interactions they didn't think were possible.

Dont get me wrong: Sony's gamble will pay off. They aren't stupid. And niether is Microsoft. But that doesn't mean Nintendo is going to slip. If that was all it took, then Nintendo would be much more conservative this time out. There's room for all three, now that people are more comfortable buying more than one, and Nintendo still fills in niches the others won't entertain.

This is supposed to be a thread celebrating Nintendo and their exciting new machine, and I'm pretty excited. If I wasn't excited, I would've said a familiar line about "Arguing on the internet.." a long time ago. But I have faith in those crazy Japanese guys at Nintendo because they've been delivering what I want and more without trying to sneak other products in with it.

Just let me know what the other game is, and if I haven't played it already, I'll track it down and get back to you. I'm interested in going back and trying old school legendary games that I missed, to kind of see where some common threads started. Most of these will be on the PC probably, an area of gaming I'm sorely lacking in.

If the whole "shiny and new" thing was the case, then the Wii would at least be comparable...which it isn't. The fact is that the PS3 is just plain more popular among gamers at large than the Wii, in and out of America. And it's all Nintendo's fault for their poor marketing and consistent downgrading.

Here's the major difference between the PS3 and Wii in crunch time. In the past 3 months, what has come out about the PS3? The $500 version is going to have HD (which it wasn't initially going to), games that were initially cancelled were brought back (Oblivion, Half Life 2, FEAR) and more games were announced. And the Wii? Well, we found out it isn't going to have DVD playback (unless you wait six months, and don't get Wiisports with it)...we found out they broke up the initially announced controller bundle...we found out that you're being forced to buy that POS Wii Sports with it...we found out that there are NO high-profile launch titles from Nintendo...we found out that you actually have to pay for the web browser (despite the fact it can be given entirely for free) and we found out there isn't going to be a single online game until 2007.

And really...this is a forum. If you wanted to just celebrate, then you can do it offline.

the_roach said:
Just let me know what the other game is, and if I haven't played it already, I'll track it down and get back to you. I'm interested in going back and trying old school legendary games that I missed, to kind of see where some common threads started. Most of these will be on the PC probably, an area of gaming I'm sorely lacking in.
Indeed, the earliest full-blown 3d game that comes to mind for me is Vector, which was a 3d Mac game. First full-blown 3d platformer was Bug! on the Saturn.

Add to that games like Virtua Fighter and some other Sega-made racing game that I can't remember the name of that came out in arcades in the late 80s and it just plain isn't as innovative as people give it credit for.

So my store got our Wii's in on monday 36 to the T. And all but 33 are already sold. 32 pre-orders including mine. And my managers The rest of the store is debating on who gets one or not. So thats some good news for everyone at my store. Ahh it feels good to know that Every Wii owner that day or ordered one will get their system. Unlike the PS3 owners who will be pissed.

FEAR got pushed back till next year, and Half Life 2 is next Year. Oblivian got pushed back till spring of next year around the time the PSP version comes out. But it really does not matter for Oblivian to come out now, Because when it does it should come with the new expansion that the 360will be getting and is coming out for the PC. Fight Night is still Dec. Live was cancelled, and So was Smackdown two big sellers for Sony. Sucks for the 360 owners who already have those gmaes avalible. MAn you know what I wish I would have waited to get a PS3 then I could pay 600 and some for a bunch of games already on the somewht same graphical and less expensive 360. I'm SO Stupid

I mean, yeah, I know that there are full-blown 3d games that predate SM64. The question is, how worthy are they? A game can be groundbreaking and innovative, but it has to merge that with interactivity and be fun to be considered truly worthy. I just have this hunch that all 3d games before SM64 couldn't put all the pieces together. SM64 = paradigm shift. Besides, what 3d game before it really, truly exploited the three dimensions? For instance, Virtua Fighter, the arcade racing games, etc. are all anchored to the ground.

As a sidenote, I really like platform games or games with platforming elements that don't "hold your hand"--automating some or most aspects of the platforming. Well, the game has to have solid design and controls so that it's not impossible or overly frustrating. Also, I hope I never play another FPS that doesn't allow you to jump! This all ties in to my appreciation of being able to move more freely in 3 dimensions in gaming.

Word to Roach: There was even a Bubsy 3D that was as 3D as Bug!, but it ammounted to a 3D world with 3D controls, and we all know how well that works from Resident Evil. Super Mario 64 was groundbreaking by creating a 2D control scheme that could be applied to a 3D world, and thus make it intuitive to play a 3D game easily, instead of the slow and clumsy controls that'd been around before. That is where Nintendo innovated, and every platformer since (Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, to name a few worth mentioning) has taken that intuitive control scheme that no one seemed able to think of before them. It wasn't the 3D part that they achieved, but the ease of use in what could easily be a highly complicated system. Thus why Super Mario 64 was so natural and fun and classic and worthy of praise so many years later while other 3D platform pioneers were unwieldy and unmemorable and often just bad.

Wait you guys hear that............listen.......................it's the sound of people holding thier breath because it's only 4 days away.