The Wii Countdown

I elaborated on it earlier, Roach. If you look at the DS, look at how the games progressed. The launch titles made "great" use of the touch screen with games like Warioware and Feel the Magic, there were a handful of games that immediately proceeded like Yoshi Touch n' Go and Kirby Canvas Curse. But then the touch screen was old news, and the publishers pretty much stopped using it, and then the best games started coming out (Mario Kart DS, Advance Wars, Castlevania). It'll happen with the Wii, too. Granted, FPSs will probably be best used on the Wiimote over the Cube controller, but after Red Steel and Warioware come out...look at the games going forward. Will (how could?) Fire Emblem have Wiimote functionality? Will Mario Galaxy completely omit a Cube controller option? Smash Bros Brawl's Masahiro Sakurai is already on-record, stating that there's no frickin way the Wiimote will be used in it. And really, I expect this to be way more than a trend.

As for something positive about Nintendo...

Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros, Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, Pokemon Battle, Fire Emblem and Battalion Wars are probably going to rule.

But I can get and HD-DVD though if I wanted to. Seriously I have about 5 DVD players in my home and about 200 movies or so. Most of the titles I would like to see in HD are not even out. I saw both lineups of what each DVD format is bringing and Non-of which is blowing my skirt up. So sorry to say I'm cutting that comment on the Blu-ray. And if thats all the PS3 has then Blu-Ray is not worth $600

So there will be 400k people with a PS3 before it has a system. But what about the 6 million people who have a 360. OR the 2million or so who might have a Wii, what about them. But forget about that. Just answer the question I want you to do just that. What games should I get or offer to someone if they are getting a PS3. No consumer at this time really buys a system because of what IS coming out for the system (unless you are tech nerds, Or fans of the company) When someone walks in they want to know what is out right now and what they should get. It's like buying a TV what should I get to go with it,

And no we don't know each other, I just got his gamertag so we could play Gears on Live, I have Silent's also.

spudz: I don't know. I just get the sense that the wiimote's control mechanics will factor more heavily in the design of Wii games than the stylus/touch controls factor in for DS games old and new. Seems like companies would go to either the 360 or the PS3 if they wanted to make games with more traditional interfaces. That just seems like the smarter business move. Developers are generally gonna make games that utilize the unique properties of the motion technology on the Wii. I've seen a few polls and have gathered info here and there about how designers are more pumped to have the chance to develop for the Wii, and given the technology gap between the Wii and the PS3, you know they're not wanting to make some complex, killer app. There might be a few that don't utilize the wiimote controls, but if the majority do, then the market forces will more or less demand that games on the Wii utilize the 3d interface. That has to be the biggest selling point of the Wii regarding casual gamers, and it's at least half as important to hardcore gamers (the other half being loyalty to the classic Nintendo franchises).

Will the wiimote interface go out of fashion like you claim the touch interface has with the DS? Again, I can't foresee it happening. All it takes is for one brilliant game to come along that uses that interface to set in motion a chain of industry-shifting events. To me, no such game has been produced for the DS yet. Maybe for the Wii, though. We shall see. And you never know what games may be in development that we don't know about.

As far as Galaxy is concerned, it looked like Mario relied pretty heavily on the pointer function of the 'mote. I doubt very much it will have GCN control options, unless they drastically suckify the content of the game.

PrinceLUDA21 said:
But I can get and HD-DVD though if I wanted to. Seriously I have about 5 DVD players in my home and about 200 movies or so. Most of the titles I would like to see in HD are not even out. I saw both lineups of what each DVD format is bringing and Non-of which is blowing my skirt up. So sorry to say I'm cutting that comment on the Blu-ray. And if thats all the PS3 has then Blu-Ray is not worth $600

So there will be 400k people with a PS3 before it has a system. But what about the 6 million people who have a 360. OR the 2million or so who might have a Wii, what about them. But forget about that. Just answer the question I want you to do just that. What games should I get or offer to someone if they are getting a PS3. No consumer at this time really buys a system because of what IS coming out for the system (unless you are tech nerds, Or fans of the company) When someone walks in they want to know what is out right now and what they should get. It's like buying a TV what should I get to go with it,

And no we don't know each other, I just got his gamertag so we could play Gears on Live, I have Silent's also.
Is bringing up random scenarios, that only apply to you, your chief method of debate? You can get an HD DVD...if you want to...for $200...assuming you have a 360...which would make it cost $500-$600...like a PS3. Get it or don't, but it's still a better deal than anything else.

The 6 mil who have a 360 will either get it or not. Same with the Wii people. And of course people buy a console for what IS coming out. Nobody's buying a Wii for...EXCITE TRUCK! And...MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE! They're buying it to eventually get Smash or Mario or some other good game that will come out eventually.

spudz: I don't know. I just get the sense that the wiimote's control mechanics will factor more heavily in the design of Wii games than the stylus/touch controls factor in for DS games old and new. Seems like companies would go to either the 360 or the PS3 if they wanted to make games with more traditional interfaces. That just seems like the smarter business move. Developers are generally gonna make games that utilize the unique properties of the motion technology on the Wii. I've seen a few polls and have gathered info here and there about how designers are more pumped to have the chance to develop for the Wii, and given the technology gap between the Wii and the PS3, you know they're not wanting to make some complex, killer app. There might be a few that don't utilize the wiimote controls, but if the majority do, then the market forces will more or less demand that games on the Wii utilize the 3d interface. That has to be the biggest selling point of the Wii regarding casual gamers, and it's at least half as important to hardcore gamers (the other half being loyalty to the classic Nintendo franchises).
And if companies didn't wanna make games that use the touch screen, they would've put them out on the PSP. Companies just don't really just throw something together ust so that it can use the Wiimote which is the smarter business move. Designers want to make a game for the Wii now, but between the novelty wearing off and the simple fact that the publishers really just don't care what they want, it's not gonna happen. And because of that, you're just plain not gonna see any 3rd party games that really use it much. There's gonna be an exception once every year, maybe, but the majority of third party games are just going to randomly toss it in there as a general gimmick to make up for the apathy they put into the rest of the game.

Will the wiimote interface go out of fashion like you claim the touch interface has with the DS? Again, I can't foresee it happening. All it takes is for one brilliant game to come along that uses that interface to set in motion a chain of industry-shifting events. To me, no such game has been produced for the DS yet. Maybe for the Wii, though. We shall see. And you never know what games may be in development that we don't know about.
The Wii is just the hot new thing right now, and because of that, you're hearing alot of positive. But like I said, once the crappy games start coming and once the novelty wears off, you're just going to see more and more companies just using the Cube controller. And there've been a solid list of games on the DS that heavily use the touch screen. Like I said, Warioware, Kirby CC, Meteos, Elite Beat Agents, Animal Crossing, and more.

scoops said:
As far as Galaxy is concerned, it looked like Mario relied pretty heavily on the pointer function of the 'mote. I doubt very much it will have GCN control options, unless they drastically suckify the content of the game.
No...no it really didn't. You jerked it in an upward fashion to jump and you wave it back and forth to spin. Really, does that add anything to the gameplay? Nope. It's just something that's far less effective and accurate than pressing A and Z. Like I said, some of the launch titles already have a Cube control option which is guaranteed to be far more effective and accurate. And alot less of a stupid gimmick.

Last edited:
The reason I think that we are seeing DS games that don't integrate the stylus control interface as heavily is because the DS has more legs to stand without it. Nintendo has always done well in the handheld market, and their software is usually high quality stuff. That's why developers who have no strong interest in integrating touch mechanics are not flocking en masse to develop for the PSP. They know they can make the game they want and they know that they will do just as well (if not better) if they had decided to make it for the PSP. And who knows what other factors go into it. The point is that for whatever reason, 3rd party developers are content with making DS games with or without the touch interface and they must be getting good results.

With that said, I don't think the Wii has as many legs to stand on. The wiimote interface is its legs--a very, very promising set at that. The console market is a tougher business and we know that Nintendo has lost significant ground since the 32/64 bit era. So, take away the wiimote interface, and all Nintendo has again are its first-party titles and the handful of gamers who remain loyal to that no matter what technology it runs on. I just don't see Nintendo allowing that to happen. There might be some executive decisions and oversight being implemented to ensure that doesn't happen.

From a developer's stand point, beyond the obvious excitement generated by the potentials for the new interface, I think they are happy that developing for it is not as complex, expensive or arduous a process as say the 360 or PS3. The thing about the Wii is that the technology is familiar (and similar to the 'Cube). Developers should have fairly inimate knowledge in regards to the technology, allowing them to focus on making awesome games and integrating the 3d controls. Or maybe it's 4d controls, since you have to factor not only the 3 spatial dimensions, but the temporal 4th in time (how long/speed of movement). Or maybe even 5 once you consider the tilt angle!

The thing about Nintendo is that they have remained profitable this whole time without posting big sales numbers. The DS is easily becoming the fastest selling game machine ever. Sony's losing hundreds on each PS3 sold, and the R&D costs are huge (they're gonna post a huge loss soon). I'm sure they'll pull out of it eventually, but they're playing a dangerous game. All it takes is one inherent flaw in the complex PS3 system to push them to the brink of nonprofitability for this generation if you ask me...

scoops said:
You pointed at stuff to interact with it as well. Things Mario can't reach, like a bell hanging from an arch.
Then you look at it and press L. Mario Galaxy straight up doesn't need Wiimote controls. Period.

The reason I think that we are seeing DS games that don't integrate the stylus control interface as heavily is because the DS has more legs to stand without it. Nintendo has always done well in the handheld market, and their software is usually high quality stuff. That's why developers who have no strong interest in integrating touch mechanics are not flocking en masse to develop for the PSP. They know they can make the game they want and they know that they will do just as well (if not better) if they had decided to make it for the PSP. And who knows what other factors go into it. The point is that for whatever reason, 3rd party developers are content with making DS games with or without the touch interface and they must be getting good results.
The main reason developers aren't flocking over to the PSP is because of the general apathy Sony has handled it with. However, you do have to remember that there are more big third party games on the PSP than the DS. Just look at the holiday lineup of the two. There are only three big third party games on the DS this holiday season (Children of Mana, FF3 and Castlevania: POR), and the rest are first party (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Yoshi's Island 2, Elite Beat Agents, Mario Hoops, etc). And if you look at the PSP, on the other hand, has only three games made by Sony (SOCOM, LocoRoco and Killzone Liberation) and the remainder are third party (Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, Gitaroo Man, Vice City Stories, Ultimate Ghouls and Ghosts, Metal Slug Anthology, Mercury Meltdown, etc). And really, the main difference between these two scenarios is that the Wii has the Cube controller, which is a far more accurate control scheme for most of the games Nintendo is making.

With that said, I don't think the Wii has as many legs to stand on. The wiimote interface is its legs--a very, very promising set at that. The console market is a tougher business and we know that Nintendo has lost significant ground since the 32/64 bit era. So, take away the wiimote interface, and all Nintendo has again are its first-party titles and the handful of gamers who remain loyal to that no matter what technology it runs on. I just don't see Nintendo allowing that to happen. There might be some executive decisions and oversight being implemented to ensure that doesn't happen.
Nintendo doesn't have much of a say in it. They can't realistically demand the games have that functionality. That's one of the things that made them lose third party support. Take away the Wiimote and what you have is the cheapest of the next-gen consoles and that matters more than a bunch of gimmicky, POS games.

From a developer's stand point, beyond the obvious excitement generated by the potentials for the new interface, I think they are happy that developing for it is not as complex, expensive or arduous a process as say the 360 or PS3. The thing about the Wii is that the technology is familiar (and similar to the 'Cube). Developers should have fairly inimate knowledge in regards to the technology, allowing them to focus on making awesome games and integrating the 3d controls. Or maybe it's 4d controls, since you have to factor not only the 3 spatial dimensions, but the temporal 4th in time (how long/speed of movement). Or maybe even 5 once you consider the tilt angle!
Nintendo definitely made it the easiest console to develop for, since the devkits are almost identical to the Cube and the games are cheaper to make...but what you have to remember is that most of those are just. Going. To. Be. Gimmicks. Probably the only Wiimote-using games that are done well are gonna be from Nintendo...just like the DS.

The thing about Nintendo is that they have remained profitable this whole time without posting big sales numbers. The DS is easily becoming the fastest selling game machine ever. Sony's losing hundreds on each PS3 sold, and the R&D costs are huge (they're gonna post a huge loss soon). I'm sure they'll pull out of it eventually, but they're playing a dangerous game. All it takes is one inherent flaw in the complex PS3 system to push them to the brink of nonprofitability for this generation if you ask me...
Nintendo is raking in the Yen right now, definitely. But the numbers about Sony are misleading (because they fail to take into account for just about everything else other than the console), in fact, I don't think Sony is going to lose THAT much (they're not going to lose billions...probably not even hundreds of millions). But you're definitely incorrect about the PS3 running any risk of not being profitable.

It's easy and perhaps lazy to base and argue what will happen on past trends, especially in something as dynamic as the vg industry. Sure, Nintendo has had 3rd party troubles for the last two generations. But what if it all changes this time around? You speak as if those past trends are static, something more than trends.

It's also easy to argue that any new shift in technology or approach to game making or experiencing games will result in gimmicky products. You have to try something different anyway. Change is good; otherwise, things become stale and go away. Miyamoto said something brilliantly simple and insightful recently:

Too many powerful consoles can't coexist. It's like having only ferocious dinosaurs. They might fight and hasten their own extinction

It will be interesting to see how things play out. It's kind of weird thinking about MS and Nintendo forming an active, public alliance against Sony. Two big dinosaurs going at it, and one persistent ankle-biter with potential to grow bigger.

i like sony, they got good tvs and systems, its just the heads of the corpertation that piss me off, they say nintendo is crap, when video games wouldnt even be here if it wasn't for nintendo, so MS and Sony should be kissing nintendo's feet if it wasn't for them.

and the alliance betwenn MS and Nintendo is very intresting, they have nothing agents each other, there alliance is primaraly about getting there market shares back . and who knows maybe MS might help Nintendo with porting some of there games.... but that wont likely happen. ever.

For lack of a better tautology, I have to simply say "History repeats itself."

And I'm not saying that EVERY game that uses the Wiimote will be a gimmick. I'm just saying that games that would otherwise function perfectly on a Cube controller forcing you to use the Wiimote would be forcing you to use the Wiimote for the sake of it. Mario Galaxy would work perfectly on the Cube controller, and if they force you to use the Wiimote (ie not having a Cube option like so many Wii games do and will have), it'll be a gimmick.

i like sony, they got good tvs and systems, its just the heads of the corpertation that piss me off, they say nintendo is crap, when video games wouldnt even be here if it wasn't for nintendo, so MS and Sony should be kissing nintendo's feet if it wasn't for them.

and the alliance betwenn MS and Nintendo is very intresting, they have nothing agents each other, there alliance is primaraly about getting there market shares back . and who knows maybe MS might help Nintendo with porting some of there games.... but that wont likely happen. ever.

And I'd like a quote on that, Grantastic.

But that's a pretty broad statement. Honda, Mitsubishi, etc smack talked Ford and co when they started making cars, but nobody is going to suddenly hate Japanese cars. Just because you enter a market doesn't mean you're indebted to the preceeding companies.

But it'd be stupid of Microsoft to drum up an alliance with Nintendo. Unless they make a Mario 360 and a Halo Wii, it isn't going to be beneficial to Microsoft almost at all.

Last edited:
i only have two theorys for Wii.
1. Wii will do suprisingly well and nintendo will continue with it.
2. Wii does bad, and since nintendo will never ever go out of buisness like some fanboys want on other forums want, they relize that the public want the regular joy stick and controller and then they will spend the time making the system graphically...well.... better then the F-ing cube.

and who knows what this so called "alliance" between MS and Nintendo is. all i can tell is that there not after each other, there mostly going after sony.

and does anyone else think that MS kinda planed this out, that they knew that the ps3 would have a shortegs, and Xbox will sell threw the roof this holiday. as a person who takes " Study of buisness" for school. this marketing seems almost planed. actually im sure that this was planed if you think about it.

The Wii will probably sell fine if they can do some good marketing. But Nintendo's not going out of business, that's for damn sure.

And the Alliance is probably fictional.

I don't think Microsoft KNEW things were gonna play out this way. Nobody KNEW that Sony would do some last-minute upgrades to the PS3. The main thing is that the faster you come out, the more market share you're guaranteed, and the more holiday seasons you get to selll during.

Grantastic85 said:
and does anyone else think that MS kinda planed this out, that they knew that the ps3 would have a shortegs, and Xbox will sell threw the roof this holiday. as a person who takes " Study of buisness" for school. this marketing seems almost planed. actually im sure that this was planed if you think about it.

Speaking of that...
20061117.jpg

HAHAHAHAH lol thats funny silent. And more than liekly what could happen in the coming weeks. SUcks for some and not for others.

And Spud I was not trying to debate you on anything, And if I gave you that inpression then my fault. I would just like to know what games the PS3 has at launch that I should buy thats all. Give me that answer can you just do that.

But a gimmick I'm not so sure it is or will be. I mean for all we know Sony's 6axis could be a gimmick. I seen a few games that use it and by far it is a useless peice of crap and a waste of my time. But these are first gen games. Lair looks like it might be crazy to play. But other than that it's pointless. But what if Burnout uses 6X well then that would make me a happy camper.

The MS & Nin team up hmmmmmmmmmmmm..I don't really care I want my hot games thats all . Thats what Companies should be focusing on. HOT GAMES FOR US TO PLAY. NOt tech specs or my system does this HOT GAMES, GREAT SOFTWARE.

And on a side note I will try to get mine tonight when I go in for work. Hopefully my manager will let me take it home tonight. SO keep your fingurs up people I might be the first one with a Wii.

i played the wii and ps3 today. my first impression on the wii was that it was fun, the controller was actually suprisingly easy to pick up and play, i played excite truck, and it was pretty fun, i think hardcore gamers would get a kick out of it. the bad part was that Excite truck turning was kinda clanky, and that was the only game i was really able to play,
i then ran to best buy to give my brother his lunch and there i was able to play the ps3. it is nice. but nothing special. like all systems they call it " a revolution in gameing. but now that i can honestly say i played the new systems, there's nothing " revolution" about them. ps3 is easy on the eyes, but there is no difference between the 360, at all. actually i was pissed that it cost 600$ cause of the blue-ray. i then let another couple play and i watched and then as a man took a turn while playing "motorstorm" the playstation froze. so they called my brother who works at the media and entertainment to fix it. so he tried and he ended up needing my help in re-wireing the the ps3 to the tv and then restarting it.
as i left bestbuy i found a EGM magizen and the cover was no halo3 and they got to play the multiplayer demo. so while i was home eat my mcrib sandwitch, i looked at the "rumor mill " section, Konami is forcing head designer Hideo Kojima to port Metal gear solid 4 to the 360, while its only a rumor i, hope it happeneds.

Hit up Gamerankings. Resistance, CoD3 and Ridge Racer are your best bets.

And the PS3's six axis is gonna be a gimmick too. If not, it'll just have ridiculously minimal use. I mean, I'm thinking MGS4 will have it in there (like how Snake rolls around while on the ground...I'm thinking that's gonna be mapped to the sixaxis), and we'll get some games like Warhawk, but I have a feeling that very, very few games will have it.