The Wii Countdown

PS2? How can you call it a POS? That's just stupid. Dreamcast is one of the greatest consoles ever. And like I said. They have no GOOD. EXCLUSIVES. AT LAUNCH. Twilight Princess isn't a Wii exclusive. And it's probably going to have stupid, glitchy controls. Wii Sports is going to suck. That's why it's bundled with the console, because absolutely NOBODY would've bought it otherwise. Mario isn't a launch title.

at least the wii has something different then all the others.
Yeah, that's true. We definitely won't be playing Madden 07, Call of Duty 3, Spongebob Square Pants, DBZ Tenkaichi 2, Tony Hawk Downhill Jam, Metal SLug Anthology, Farcry, Rayman, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, Blazing Angels, Cars and Monster 4x4 on any other consoles.

Your right Spud. I totaly agree with you. And I also wont be playing Red Steel or Truma Center on anyother console. Along with Zelda I mean it is still coming out for a Nintendo system so that would not count as being exclusive?

And Grantastic MS does blow, but it does not mean I don't like the 360 and the things they have done with it. I'm just a lil pissed some of my Xbox games STILL are not updated to my 360 anf some arcade games cost WAY too much............$15 bucks for a watered down version of Lumines

19 days

And we will not see any ad's or what so ever till the second or first week in Nov. Also GS should be getting Wii Interactives in some time this week if not next week.

Last edited:
I've got to agree with Spud on a few points. PS2 did a great job, though it sold so very well because the cost could be justified by the DVD playback back when no one had a DVD player, and Sony remembered that and now you see them trying to repeat it with Blu-ray playback in the PS3. It's lack of horsepower didn't stop it from selling like hotcakes.

And technically speaking, Twilight Princess isn't a Wii exclusive since it's also availible for the Gamecube. Nintendo has been working hard to turn it into a Wii launch game, but they remember they promised it on Gamecube and they don't want to screw over the fans that much (especially after WindWaker.)

And Dreamcast was a solid console. It was just too little and too soon, after Sega had a rocky generation of consoles that did very poorly. They didn't have the money to support a console that wasn't doing really well, and everyone was saving for a PS2 because the Playstation brand had been established more recently in a generation that may have been gaming's Golden Age (the 32/64-bit generation).

And Microsoft will always be Microsoft. Just remember that MSWord costs $220 on it's own and suddenly a watered down Lumines makes perfect sense. It's doesn't justify the cost, but they don't care as long as you'll pay. What Microsoft is doing right is console online and owning Bungie. Halo 3's hype garauntees the X360 will live for a few more years, at least in competition.

But the strange thing about Wii is that every title is, in a way, exclusive because the controls are so different. It's a stretch, I know, but it's worth considering how much the difference in hardware power and control scheme will change the game. It's nothing significant, but just how much it changes the game can only be determined by trying it out.

Technically, TP isn't an exclusive? It isn't an exclusive, period. It got ported. It's as much an exclusive as Madden. And Nintendo doesn't care about their fans THAT much. The Cube version is only available in America/Canada. They royally screwed over Europe and Japan.

The Dreamcast was a great console. Two things ruined the Dreamcast. EA and Sony. EA removed the majority of the American audience and Sony removed the Japanese.

MS Word comes pre-installed in Windows. Everyone has it. And it isn't like Microsoft made the Lumines game on the Live Arcade. Hell, they didn't even set the price. That's what you call a "third party game."

And they're auto-exclusives? Hell no. Especially since at least a majority of them will include a Cube controller option. And if they don't include a Cube controller option...then can you honestly expect them to put in the required effort to make the Wiimote controls work? I certainly can't. And the differences in hardware are beyond noticable. They're apparent. Hell, look at the differences in Madden.

Here's the Wii version:
marked_f1158608958.jpg

Here's the 360 and PS3 version:
marked_d1148438660.jpg

And you don't need to try it out. They're gonna be pretty damn different.

Um, hey guys? Who cares which system is better? Why are you all engaged in this immature pissing contest? What personal vested interest do any of you have in one console over another. Yes, we have our favourites (mine is wii, because of its potential), but the only thing I don't like about PS3 is its price (and the fact that it has no rumble). If Wii and PS3 were the same price, I'd still buy Wii, but I'd be saving up for a PS3 right afterward. As it is, I'll be waiting for the price to come down.

Does it really matter which console comes out on top? All three are solid. Well, Wii is a bit of a wildcard, but given its low(er) price and the novelty factor, as long as the controls don't suck (and I really don't think they will) people are gonna buy it.

Seriously guys, who cares? Lay off of it, will you? This was supposed to be a thread that expressed and generated enthusiasm for the upcoming Wii launch (19 days is right!). Let's just keep it at that, please?

ur right scoops, lets just keep this forum strickley Wii based, lets not spam on how people think its going to suck cause its nintendo, cause we all no it wont.

I don't really have a favorite. My bias is toward "video games." I was trying to balance things out, but such is internets. Nothing can be typed without the scrutiny and ire of another following close after.

I have to say I'm a little worried about some of the Wii ports. It sounds like EA is barely scraping the surface of what could be done with motion control in Madden, and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance has seen at least one preview saying that adaptation to the new controller has ruined a lot of what the series had going for it.

For the DS, EA did a pretty lame job with Madden at launch, and even Nintendo "ported" Mario 64 for the new controls, and people realized how much a joystick really made that game good. Only later were games really fleshed out and fully realized with the touch screen in mind.

I'm very, very excited for Wii. Especially for the magic days when developers have really gotten the hang of the new controller.

I didn't say we had to restrict content to Nintendo only! Go ahead and make comparisons if it's appropriate. Just stop getting so bloody fired up about it!

Anyway - Jeff's on the money. I'm worried about the ports too. There are certain types of games that simply won't work very well with the Wii-mote. The smart thing to do would be to use the classic controller for many of the ports (at least, those that don't use the Wii-mote well).

I am more of a "stick to the exclusives" kind of game buyer. And I forsee that tendency will strengthen with Wii. I'll be mostly buying the games that were specifically developed for the Wii-mote, and likely ignoring ports.

Like I've said, Wii has enough exclusives coming over the next year to keep me satiated for a while.

Grantastic85 said:
ur right scoops, lets just keep this forum strickley Wii based, lets not spam on how people think its going to suck cause its nintendo, cause we all no it wont.
I don't think it's going to SUCK cuz it's Nintendo. I think it's going to FAIL cuz it's Nintendo.

scoops said:
(mine is wii, because of its potential)
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/howard-stringer-ps3-purchasers-paying-for-potential-183377.php

Did you say that intentionally or is it just a huge coincidence?

Last edited:
I don't think Wii will fail, but even with it's new "stuff" and "potential" I can't see it really overtaking both the PS3 and the X360 unless Sony or Microsoft make a grievous misstep. I do expect it to do better than the Gamecube, though. Gamecube was a sad story.

Though it's interesting to think about how the PS2 has the weakest current-generation graphics but the best sales, much like it's predecessor. I'm not saying there's a direct relationship, just that there isn't a direct relationship between great graphics and great hardware sales. Obviously the PS1 became more popular than the N64 for other reasons (developer support, medium cost, development costs, a broader range of great titles, strong marketing, etc).

I can't wait until the next next generation, just so I can look back and think "Wow, I was there for all of that!"

it was pure coincidence, Spuds.

I don't consider the tech specs to be "potential" anymore. Video games are good. They've all got good graphics, sound, blah blah blah.

Wii has potential to be different and interesting on levels that are impossible for the other two options because of the fundamental difference in the control scheme.

The PS1 was immensely more powerful than the N64. I don't see how you could say otherwise. The only thing the 64 had that was better was its processor. But by then, the games were advanced enough that bits don't really matter.

But you need to be a bit more realistic, Basil. How many good ideas has Nintendo had that didn't come back and bite them on the ass? I can only think of two. The general idea for the NES (if you ignore the terrible strain and resentment they built up during that time from third party developers) and the Gameboy/DS/Handhelds. And considering they've been around since the arcade days...that's not so great.

Last edited:
I can think of several.

Mario
Zelda
Metroid
Donkey Kong
Pikmin
Most Mario sports games, esp. Kart
Smash Bros.
Mario Party
Wario Ware

Nintendo has their proprietary software going for them in a big way (at least, those are the games and characters I like to see). I will buy the system that Miyamoto is making games for. Happens to be Wii.

Also, I've been reading up on just how the Wii-mote works. It's brilliant. It's a light gun on steroids. I have faith in the technology. And I'm confident that enough developers will get it right.

Like I said. I don't even care if Wii does no better than GCN, I don't care who wins the console war. In fact, I like what Nintendo has been coming up with BECAUSE of its 3rd place status.

Oh, oh, please. Miyamoto never really made games. He's just an over-glorified character designer. A racist over-glorified characters designer, too. His stupid whims are part of what WRECKED Nintendo's standing in America and Europe. And really, alot of the newer Nintendo characters weren't even created by him.

Yeah, Nintendo controls some great developing teams, and lately they've been able to pay bring in and buy out some really new talent. And yeah, they make some great games. Unfortunately NONE OF THEM ARE AT LAUNCH. And really...that's when they need em.

Though...the Wiimote technically isn't a light gun. Since the light gun technology is all built-in, and the Wiimote relies on that sensor bar. Not that it's really an issue...I dunno. Duck Hunt rules.

Miyamoto was the first non-technical game designer. Every previous designer had also been a programmer, and thus the games reflected the technical focus. Miyamoto represented the start of games built with ideas over technology, and his games (Pikmin and Nintendogs being the most recent examples) continue to represent a sort of "screw the technology, how can I have fun?" approach.

It's very much his approach, since he had to start by creating a new game on the hardware of a failed Space-Invaders clone. He did it with two programmers: one for music, and one for everything else.

Miyamoto is also responsible for the first 3D game that made sense to control from a 3rd person perspective: Super Mario 64. No adventure platformer since has bothered innovating on the basics of that one title. That sounds pretty good for a launch title.

And yes, Duck Hunt. I'm very excited to commit duck genocide with that silly Wiimote for years to come.

"Our play test lasted for about an hour in all, and it gave us the opportunity to get a feel for how the Wii controller fits in to the game. One thing that's for sure is that the coordination required won't necessarily come easy, especially when you're combining looking and moving with zooming in, shooting, crouching, and reloading--all simultaneously using both hands with several kinds of motion.

That said, we certainly found that we paid more attention to what was going on than we would have had we been playing the game with a normal control pad, and the result was an absorbing experience that left us wanting to play more."

The above, from a GameSpot hands on preview of Red Steel, is why I'm buying a Wii over the other options. I want something more than just sitting in front of my TV, holding a little piece of plastic and circuitry.

I'm going to ignore most of what Spuds said about Miyamoto, cause frankly, I don't care if he's racist or not. He comes up with the best games I've ever played, and that's all that matters to me. I don't know the guy, never will. He could be a baby killer, and I'd still want to play the games he makes, because they're good. I would want him to be making them from prison, but I'd still want him to make them.

But Spuds, you're right about the Wii-mote not being a light gun, exactly. From what I can infer, the light gun was a camera, looking at the screen. If you pulled the trigger when the camera was focused on a duck, it registered as a kill. Simple as that.

The Wii-mote, which I ignorantly thought was SENDING information from the (poorly named) sensor bar, is actually receiving information from it. The sensor bar has 4 LEDs at either end of its 7.5 inch length. The sensor on the front of the Wii-mote sees those LEDs, and calculates it exact position in 3D space based on where those LEDs are in its picture. So, it's like a light gun in that the thing in your hand is doing the sensing, but it's better than a light gun because of the sensor bar, which enables the Wii-mote to know exactly where it is and what position it's in.

One thing that we may have thought was true about the Wii-mote and isn't, is the idea of the Wii-mote acting as a true pointer. In Duck Hunt, there was no aiming reticule, because the light gun actually needed to be pointing at the duck to shoot it. The Wii-mote is more like a 3D mouse, because it doesn't have anything to do with your TV (this made programming it much simpler, and makes it easier for you to bring it to your friends' houses on their different sized TVs without a lengthy setup once you get there). If you were to bring the Wii-mote up to eye level and tried to aim like a real gun, you nearly alway miss, because the reticule wouldn't be where the 'mote was pointing. Again, think of it as a 3D mouse instead of a laser pointer.

Oh, and 18 days. Holy crap!

listereo said:
Miyamoto was the first non-technical game designer. Every previous designer had also been a programmer, and thus the games reflected the technical focus. Miyamoto represented the start of games built with ideas over technology, and his games (Pikmin and Nintendogs being the most recent examples) continue to represent a sort of "screw the technology, how can I have fun?" approach.

It's very much his approach, since he had to start by creating a new game on the hardware of a failed Space-Invaders clone. He did it with two programmers: one for music, and one for everything else.
Thank you for proving my point. He has no real game design experience. And really...he doesn't do anything in many of the Nintendo games anymore, other than having his name put in the credits to instantly boost sales.

Miyamoto is also responsible for the first 3D game that made sense to control from a 3rd person perspective: Super Mario 64. No adventure platformer since has bothered innovating on the basics of that one title. That sounds pretty good for a launch title.
Mario 64 was a great game. Miyamoto did nothing to make it great other than creating Mario 23-26 years ago. The crazy bastard (Yamauchi) is the one who made the game great.

The above, from a GameSpot hands on preview of Red Steel, is why I'm buying a Wii over the other options. I want something more than just sitting in front of my TV, holding a little piece of plastic and circuitry.
The novelty will wear off quite quickly. The transition, in all likelihood, will be roughly as long-lasting as the transition from one control stick to two.

I'm going to ignore most of what Spuds said about Miyamoto, cause frankly, I don't care if he's racist or not. He comes up with the best games I've ever played, and that's all that matters to me. I don't know the guy, never will. He could be a baby killer, and I'd still want to play the games he makes, because they're good. I would want him to be making them from prison, but I'd still want him to make them.
You really should care if he's racist or not. Think about Donkey Kong. The BEST Donkey Kong games came from Rare. Seriously. The Donkey Kong Countries and DK64 were all critically acclaimed, generally awesome games. Thing is, Miyamoto didn't like how Americans were developing for one of his early series, so he demanded that DK return to a Japanese devteam. And look at what has come since. DK Jungle Beat? That's bull. And now we're coming in on Metroid's end. Prime is one of the highest-rated games of all time. Miyamoto, though, doesn't like how those lousy Americans are making the games, and taking over another one of his earliest series. And now look. Metroid Prime 3 is coming up. Retro's last Metroid game. They haven't been re-contracted. And once again, another series is going to be wrecked because Miyamoto says so. He doesn't MAKE games at all. He just, as stated, gets his name stuck on there to boost sales. With the SHEER NUMBER of games Nintendo puts out with Miyamoto's name on it, this is quite apparent.

One thing that we may have thought was true about the Wii-mote and isn't, is the idea of the Wii-mote acting as a true pointer. In Duck Hunt, there was no aiming reticule, because the light gun actually needed to be pointing at the duck to shoot it. The Wii-mote is more like a 3D mouse, because it doesn't have anything to do with your TV (this made programming it much simpler, and makes it easier for you to bring it to your friends' houses on their different sized TVs without a lengthy setup once you get there). If you were to bring the Wii-mote up to eye level and tried to aim like a real gun, you nearly alway miss, because the reticule wouldn't be where the 'mote was pointing. Again, think of it as a 3D mouse instead of a laser pointer.
Yeah, I know. And that sucks. But it's generally unimportant. Still sucks that the Duck Hunt 2 is going to be easy and dumb.

Last edited:
First off, Metroid was the work of Gunpei Yokoi, the same fellow responsible for the Gameboy and the Virtualboy. Taking Metroid from Retro's hands is a fatal mistake, and if it does come to fruition that Nintendo never recontracts them for further Metroid games than something is fishy in Denmark.

Further more, Miyamoto's name sits on most titles as Executive Producer, which in most cases is not at all a creative position. He's just been at it for so long, he knows what it takes to keep things running smoothly, so instead of working hard he just schedules and kicks back while making more money.

One thing I've wondered about for a while is the division between American and Japanese developers and how they think games should be made. It's a strange thing, considering how many Japanese games Americans play, to think that a game can be great in one culture and confusing or terrifying for another. One great example is the comparison between Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter, one about "what can I do and how extreme will it be" while the other is built more around story, style, and giving the player the ability to master the game to subtle degrees. The Japanese hate FPS games, too. Just play Dirge of Cerberus to figure that out. And Half-life 2 is being remade into an arcade game with guiding arrows and redesigned enemies. Differences will keep cropping up, and the best way to compare it is between Nintendo and Microsoft.

Nintendo has never been infallible. They just were at the right place at the right time with the right machine, and they've put up one hell of a fight since. Wii wil take a week to get used to, and companies need to get real comfortable with the controller real fast, and they won't. The first year of the Wii may be dismal. I'm almost banking on playing one or two decent, not good, games until next Summer or Fall.

But when it gets good, oh man will it be good.

Spuds, you tire the hell out of me.

You're right. The transition will be a short one. THAT'S A GOOD THING. The novelty will wear off, but not in a bad way!

Do you honestly believe that Wii will be a flash in the pan and that the next round of systems will go back to regular gamepad controls? Of course not! Sony's SIXAXIS is the proof in the pudding.

Motion control is a good idea. It is here to stay. And so what if it only takes a week to get used to? All the better I'd say.