Fighting Games

I think it would be cool to have a fighting game where, not only could you design your own character (with upgrades unlocked during normal game play), but to have them be characters that join the game. Let's say you create Maverick. Then you go in and create a Demigoddess. Let Demi be someone the game can control, so you can be Maverick and smack her around.

It could also allow you to randomly create stories using something like a Mad Lib. Just select from different templates and fill in the blanks.

Well, as a rather cool note, in the SC3 arcade game that's coming out, you have the oppurtunity to create a character and if you win, that character becomes a boss for the game.

Darth_Jonas said:
I think it would be cool to have a fighting game where, not only could you design your own character (with upgrades unlocked during normal game play), but to have them be characters that join the game. Let's say you create Maverick. Then you go in and create a Demigoddess. Let Demi be someone the game can control, so you can be Maverick and smack her around.

It could also allow you to randomly create stories using something like a Mad Lib. Just select from different templates and fill in the blanks.

There was a game sorta like this wasn't there? Like 5 years ago or something, maybe more. It was called Fighter Maker I think. I believe it didn't get good reviews though. The main gripe was that there were too many options in the game. Like choosing your character's rib type and junk like that.

There's also a program online called Mugen, which is a popular 2d fighting game maker. But the resources are pretty much limited to sprites from pre-existing games, so all you can really do is spend a jillion hours making your own or make a dream match (like King of Fighters vs Guilty Gear or something).

a friend of mine knows mugen pretty well and makes his own sprites. i think he's been working on the game for like 3 years now.
that reminds me that i was supposed to do an opening intro for it, long ago, but it never happened. this goes back to that one thread about making videogames and getting paid i guess.
i never did get into mugen tho cus of all the programing

Maverick said:
Never heard of it. Are you saying it takes a long time to make your fighter perfect or just to make anything?

Well, there's alot of stuff to making the fighting game. You even need to get your own music, backgrounds, health bars, timer numbers and all that stuff, as well as the characters. But you can download all these from other games, and mix and match.

When making characters you have to type out all their damage and such using a .txt file, methinks. But you can often download whole sets for characters, including animations, sprites, attacks and damage, so you could easily whip yourself up a Mugen Copy of a fighting game (one of my pals has Samurai Showdown 2- Mugen).

I haven't done too much with Mugen, and it prolly would be a bitch to really make a fully unique game, but I'm still not too knowledgable of it.