Fighting Games

spudlyff8fan

Super Senior Staff
Registered
Jun 23, 2005
somewhere
Lately I've been playing Dead or Alive...Guilty Gear...Street Fighter III 3rd Strike...Soul Calibur 3...King of Fighters 03...Smash Bros...among others. So what are your favorite fighting games? Do you like 2d or 3d or both equally? Is there a crossover you want to see that will never happen? Discuss!

2D or 3D, doesn't matter to me.

Favorites:
Dead or Alive- I think it gets disrespected too much by critics. I was totally surprised to see that EGM gave DoA4 two 6.5s.
Street Fighter
Soul Calibur

What I'd love to see is every SF character in one game (without the ISM junk from Alpha 3). It should be high res like SFIII & Guilty Gear. There should also be a tag fighting option and a one-on-one option. I don't think anything could beat that for me.

As far as crossovers go I'd probably like to see Namco vs Tecmo. A Nintendo vs Sega in a Smash Bros. type of game would be outrageously fun also.

Crossover fighters can be disappointing. Mainly since the new characters don't play or aren't as powerful as they were in their own games. However, there can be some fun ones.

I like the idea of Master Chief being in a fighting game (can't remember which one it is), but I don't think he has the plasma grenades. That would be a little unfair.

I always did like the Marvel vs. Street Fighter. I was king of the Xmen fighter (back when we had these things called arcades), but continually got my tail kicked when I went over and played Street Fighter. Then I was able to throw down on Ryu with my Xmen. We found out who was king. Me. (Of course, the amount of quarters I dropped playing those games would have bought all three!)

Its not really Master Chief, its a chick called Spartan 458 in DoA4.

I thought Namco x Capcom was going to be a fighting game. I was hyped up until I found out it was an RPG. I would've liked to have seen which style they would've gone with if it was a fighter.

Another thing I want is real endings in Street Fighter games. SF is far too rich in backstory for Capcom not to give us something real after we beat the game. And while I'm on the subject, I want CG endings for Soul Calibur. Why give real endings in Tekken and not SC? Tekken's not even in Soul CAlibur's league as far as I'm concerned.

Crossovers can be incredible. Like Capcom vs SNK 2 EO. The problem is sometimes the company doesn't put enough effort into balancing it, like in Marvel vs Capcom 2, where (generally speaking) the Marvel people could simply dominate. But it's a classic, so nobody cares.

Critics can be quite dumb when it comes to fighting games. Depending on the mag or site, they can demand that the series needs to be reinvented every installment. Which is flat out stupid. Game Informer liked DOA4 much, though Mav. They gave it a 9/10. There are still all those stupid anal fighting game fans who hate on DOA and SSBM cuz they say it's "too shallow" which is bull.

And DOA4 had a Spartan, Jonas. But it was a female.

And SC3 had CG movies for the endings, which were sometimes pretty cool (in the case of Yunsung and Seigfried) but some were just stupid (in the case of Zasalamel and Kilik).

ah, I see. I look forward to playing the game. What are her moves like?

In answer to another of your questions, I prefer the 3D fighting games. I always loved Bloody Roar. Recently I picked up the game again and just rolled through the combos. Hmm. If you applied the Bloody Roar take on things, you could turn other characters into beasts. Ryu changes into . . .?

Generally speaking, I prefer 2d fighting games. Games like Tekken and Virtua Fighter sometimes feel a bit sluggish for my liking. But I love Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive. I'd love Namco X Capcom to be a fighting game.

Darth_Jonas said:
ah, I see. I look forward to playing the game. What are her moves like?

In answer to another of your questions, I prefer the 3D fighting games. I always loved Bloody Roar. Recently I picked up the game again and just rolled through the combos. Hmm. If you applied the Bloody Roar take on things, you could turn other characters into beasts. Ryu changes into . . .?

I think it's clear Capcom would make him a lion or something like that. You know for sure he wouldn't be something like a rabbit. Ken could be a leopard. Would M. Bison be a bison?

I was saying I wondered who made what kind of mistake which would result in all those characters having their names shuffled.

ah, ok. I heard about this a while back. I was told that they marketed the names here, and that the market like the American name-matches better. Marketing stuff like that has been around for a while (if that was actually the situation). KFC did that when they brought the Colonel to Japan. They tested for that the people liked, didn't like, and overall palette. Then they changed to fit the Japanese.

If there's more to it than that, I would like to know. (conspiracy theories too.)

I enjoyed Killer Instinct for SNES. I never played the N64 version. That may have been one of the first games to pull a Gun and come out for multiple systems in such a short period of time. I have always been average at fighting games, but I enjoyed the combo potential of Killer Instinct. I was such a dork that I bought the strategy guide from Nintendo Power before I even owned the game. Pulling off the 99 hit Ultra combos was pretty cool. I believe Penny Arcade made a comic about that game in the last few months.

i'd love to see a marvel vs DC fighting game from capcom, or justice league vs avengers or something. too bad it would probably never happen in a bazillion years

i went to my younger cousin's birthday party at chuck e cheese on saturday and they had king of the fighters neo wave, which i didn't even know existed. poor kids didn't know what they were getting themselves into, except for one kid who actually put up a good fight.

i'd like to see a marvel vs capcom 3(2d), with characters like deadpool and megaman x and that bird dood from star gladiator

Last edited:
Yeah, it sucks that we'll never see another Marvel vs. game ever again for several reasons...

But KOF is many loads of sheer fun

And Wijg, if you like free form combos, you should check out Guilty Gear.