Wii to change the face of gaming

I can tell you the difference between the other, biggest, best FPS of all time, Goldeneye.

Halo-
Different weapons, in which each are useful.
You can only carry two weapons at a time.
Grenades are assigned to a button and can be freely used.
Vehicles are emphasized, and show up frequently in single and multiplayer.
Stealh is a necessity.
It has a cohesive story, comprehendible without reading the books.
Free dual-wield.
Better melee combat.
Jumping.

Goldeneye-
Broader number of weapons, but many many useless ones (throwing knives? Phantom? PP7?)
You can have 30 weapons at a time. Hell, All Weapons mode.
Grenades need to be assigned like any other weapon, and can't be used tactically.
The only vehicle is a tank, which shows up twice in the single player, and is unusable in multiplayer.
Single player is more offensive, no real stealth is used.
The story was nearly non-existant. You have to watch the movie. Not that it's HORRIBLE to need to watch the movie, but it's nice.
Dual wielding can only be done if you find an enemy that has two weapons. Except for that glitch.
Melee combat is non-existent. Seriously, in close quarters, all anyone does is get distance so they can shoot. They don't unequip weapons and beat somebody down.
No jumping.

I mean, we're not talking about PC FPSs here, 80% of which are just Unreal knockoffs.

But cmon, RPGs are all the same? The battle systems are all drastically different. Not to mention things like equipment and skills.

You make a point there Spud good job. But problem those are not really that big to the non Halo or FPS lover. and now look at every FPS that has come after Halo. They are not the rip-offs.

But a stealth is not needed. I prefer to run up on a man shoot, shoot shoot, pistol whip shoot. I like that and no stealth is needed for that. Cars and the ghost are just part of the game's story not a difference, or a major one at that. Two wepons at a time, I mean there are about 10 max in the game. (maybe a lil more let's see, pistol, machine gun, assult rifle, sniper, rocket. times that by 2 for alien wepons and 11 with the needler) Goldeneye had about 40 different wepons did it not?

I do agree with the RPG but I play differently than my friends. RPG's may play the same but they are different. You have your turnbased RPG, Action RPG, MMORPG, and the Real time RPG ( I think)

I look at those GoldenEye and Halo things and I just think: it's still variations of the same, "run around and shoot things" games, which don't appeal to me.

If you don't like FPSs, then why do the differences matter to you, since you aren't gonna play em anyway? And vehicles don't make a difference? How can you say that? Have you even played Halo? And play single play on Legendary and rush in. You will get shot into little Master Chief chunks.

And even though Goldeneye had 40 weapons, how many of them were even useful? AR33, RPG-90, Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, KF7 and the D5K? Seriously, they're all useless outside of those. I mean...Klobb? PP7? Seriously, how many people actually had the DD44 as their weapon of choice? Nobody. Because it sucked.

The thing is I play good games, but FPS never really change. And all of them calm to bring sometihng different to the FPS style, but never really do. Halo is a prime example. People calm it to the best, when it just a normal FPS.

Yes Spud I have played Halo. And thanks to some Halo crazed friends I have The Halo love that i had died down. I can't see myself sitting there playing that Freakin game over and over and over again and nothing changes. Even with or with out friends. Plus we all Know HALO 2 was wayyy to short. I don't want to play Halo 1 because I can't get thw swoard and some things that were cool in Halo 2. Halo 3 BETTER Be GOOD. I mean it should be longer than Halo 1 but have some Elements of Halo 2. Even tho it will be the same game no matter what thats what I want. Plus I just wanna play to finish my fight from 2.

But i loved the DD44 that was my gun..................memories. the RPC-90 you mean. So many ppl fell victum the that gun HAHAHA.

Hoo Rah!! Take that Bill Gates!!! Nice to see that not everyone pees their pants at nice shiny graphics. Master Cheif is just a dude in a suit. How's that any fun? Even Samus showed some skin!

One of my college roommates owned an Xbox and Halo and Halo 2, and I'm telling you, they're no different from Turok for the N64, or wolfenstein 3-d. I lived with this guy for 8 months, and the only game I played on his Xbox for extended periods of time was Burnout 3. The only FPS I ever was remotely interested in was Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, because of the different units. It made things a little more interesting, but eventually, I got bored.

But Halo... that Warthog was boring, those alien crafts are boring, that giant tank thing was boring, it was all more of the same.

FPSes haven't evolved from the old Face ball days one bit really. Point and shoot.

Mind you, Metroid on the Wii, where you point and shoot might vary things up quite nicely.

Halo 2 wasn't made for the single player, which was good for the 10 hours that you got out of it. It was made for the huge, awesome multiplayer. And the DD44 sucked. All the automatic weapons were better. And Turok and Wolfenstein are the same as Halo? Wrong.

Spuds, you mentioned playing Halo on "legendary" (which I assume is a difficulty level) as a possible way to make the game more interesting.

Here's what I think is the issue at the heart (or at least the spleen) of the issue here. Some gamers play games to be entertained by the story or the unique interaction between player and game. Others (as I think is the case for you Spuds) play a game to master it. They see the programmers as caesar and themselves as the gladiator, challenging the emperor to send his best into the arena.

I have never even bothered playing a game on a higher difficulty setting than "normal". That may lose me some respect with a few, but I don't play games for respect, I don't play for the high score (except in certain games, like Mario Kart - but even then, I only keep playing cause it's cartoony and fun), I play for the story and the in-game innovation. I see the programmers as entertainers, story-tellers letting me participate in the story. The best ones are like Game Masters, allowing me, the player to shape the story myself.

FPS's are usually pretty cookie cutter when it comes to story, or else the story is just an excuse to make another FPS. This is not the case with all FPS's, just many of the ones I've come into contact with.

If there's a good story (Metroid Prime) I'll play through to the end, and try to find everything as well, if there isn't a good story (Geist got pretty boring, even though I had high hopes) I quit halfway, or even earlier.

Anyway, that's my $0.02.

And you can Pocket that.

spudlyff8fan said:
Halo 2 wasn't made for the single player, which was good for the 10 hours that you got out of it. It was made for the huge, awesome multiplayer. And the DD44 sucked. All the automatic weapons were better. And Turok and Wolfenstein are the same as Halo? Wrong.
PROVE me wrong ;) State stating that they aren't more of the same isn't enough ;)

And unlike the Pocket, I do playeth the games on difficult levels. And again, I point out, "college roommate" implying that we did have PLENTY of people to play multiplayer with for Halo 2... it just didn't grab our attention for very long.

The CLOSEST thing to an FPS that I've truly enjoyed was Ratchet: Deadlocked, which due to changes in gameplay plays more like an FPS than it's platforming predecessors. But then, maybe that's because it was still rooted in that world and environment.

OH SNAP! The pocket used his catch phrase again! That's that!

Uh...Ratchet DL is nothing like an FPS. It might be shoot-em-up-ish like Metal Slug, but it's really not an FPS. It doesn't even have the FP part.

And once again, if you don't like FPSs, Voice, then why are you even bothering to argue a point about a genre you don't even play?

I think the problem is most of the people here who don't like Halo probably don't play it in multiplayer let alone online. Yes, most FPS' follow a similar concept in single player, go around shoot stuff. All of the various differences mentioned by Spuds are actually incredibly relavent online. Yah, when you play with a bunch of people who suck there isn't much tactics used. But against somewhat skilled humans who at the least know what they are doing, your weapon choice, your positioning, when and where you throw a grenade, vehicle management and all that crap actually makes a huge difference. In multiplayer you simply cannot play all FPS' the same. Well some you can but you always need some degree of adjusting. Example Time Splitters and Unreal are both run n guns but the weapon choice is so incredibly vastly different you can not even begin to try and play them the same way. But when you are shooting generic alien #7 who slowly limps towards you? Yah not too big of a deal.

You can say most of today's action games are the same too. God of War, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden etc. You go around do cool combos and kill stuff. Go to next room repeat. Some people like the challenge and the thrill of doing cool stuff and making cool combos, some people can't stand dying. At all.

As Basil said it depends on what kind of gamer you are. Some people just take the game for what it is (the story and the game systems given to you) to get the most fun out of it, others have fun in challenging themselves, learning new tricks, exploring every nuance in the game and optimizing their play against others.

Don't even get me started on fighting games ;). If anyone says any fighting games are 'the same' then I am just going to have to whip out a 10 page essay. That's a perfect example of the above. There is TONS and I mean TONS of intricacies in fighting games that people who go in and mash or simply read the moves list and do what it tells you and fight the computer will never find out.

If all FPS were "the same" they wouldn't be played competitively in tournaments in such that's for sure.

Although I think you guys are actually talking about the (single player) concept. Personally when I get an FPS first thing I go for is multi-player, but if you look at it as a single-player game it's a whole nother thing.

Last edited:
You are a bastard...I'll get back to you in a little bit.

Edit: Maybe not. Not sure if I am up to it lol. Feeling kinda lazy. Being as you don't really think that...RIGHT?!

Last edited:
I'll let you know that I haven't played many fighting games. I never really enjoyed them much. I actually don't see all that much difference among them. Some have tag-team aspects, some have a story, they all have ranged attacks and melee attacks, as well as super-moves (as far as I know).

Street Fighter more or less set the precedent for fighting games, and since then, everything has followed that model in one way or another.

The same is true of any form of media. Look at all the LOST clones coming out last year and this year (many of them are being canceled). Look at all the Harry Potter style books being published. And Katie just wrote an article about GTA clones. You could say that all platformers are the same in each generation, and you'd be absolutely right!

It's the little differences and the storytelling that makes the games unique. I think what this thread has been struggling to say is that FPS's have become something like pulp in video games. They are relatively easy to produce (not suggesting that the really good ones are, mind you), and very popular. So Lots of companies are making them, and not spending the time on the story and the little differences.

Don't worry about the essay Taku.

It's the little differences and the storytelling that makes the games unique.

Quoted for truth. Every once in a while a game will come along and make a frame work and numerous games will follow it. Street Fighter pretty much created a genre ;O. Just consider all the difference in fighting games to be within the tons of nuances that you are definetly not gonna find in the instruction manual (and of course a bunch you'll find in it too). Just trust me on this one bud ;).

So uh what was this topic supposed to be about?

I think it'll make some degree of change and open it up a bit. Honestly I think videogames are the way of the future. There is really no other media that truly lets the viewer completely interact with what's going on. Maybe one day we'll have some kinda "game theater" where people go in and somehow play an hour and a half long...game...movie...And you could actually change the outcome. That'd be pretty craaazaaayyyy. I am getting a bit ahead of myself. That's years off for sure.

But indeed, I think the 360 is doing best to expand the gamer population to even more of the teen crowd that currently occupies it, and the Wii will hopefully be the "anybody's game console".

Last edited:
I play HALO that is what I have screamed to everyone. I played Halo and Halo 2. I want to play HAlo 3. My argument is that the game is not that great.

I agree with pocket on the fact some ppl like to play games to master them and some just to play. I enjoy to play both ways. I feel the need to master action games or games that will treat me. Like Ninja Gaiden. No matter how good or fast I can beat the game Alma will and still can kick my ass. DMC3, DOA4, Fight Night 3, Burnout Revenge, SSX3, FFX, FFVII, and RE4 are just some of the games I still play to master. Others I play like MGS3 or Zelda is because I enjoy the game and I have fun (cutting throats in MGS3 is a blast).

But Spud Halo is a great game to you right? Do you think it is the greatest game in the world? Or does it have flaws? Every game is not perfect, and every game is not loved. How many ppl really love Zelda in the world. As long as you can accept the fact that Halo is not in no way shape or form so great that ppl will not like it then we are fine. It’s like in sports or anything in the world that on top or has fans ppl who don’t understand hate. Now you know how we Nintendo Fan Boys feel.

Actually, I will concede that I just don't like FPSes. Basil got me thinking with the FIghting game thing. I love me my fighting games, but most of my friends do not. I cannot blame them for this.

So, in that regards, I'll accept that other people like FPSes, and that they can tell the difference between the games. If I *were* to play an FPS, and I had a system capable of playing it, I'd probably play Half Life 2 though. Basil, that game probably has a story you'd most be intreested in playing... just don't cry when you see the hardware requirements.

Enjoy you your Halos and other FPSes. But they don't quite appeal to me.

Half- Life had a good story behind it. Even as a online game halo is about average,and not much fun to me. Goldeneye N64 was great and I still play it to this day. Great muti-player and a good story behind it that's what makes a good game. If your goin' make a just for online muti-player don't make a story just release it for online play only.