Question of the Day

Phillies got swept along with the Cubs and Angels, so throw that out of the window. :p

Look at spudz over here. He thinks the Red Sox still have underdog/curse/inferiority cred. No, they're a major player nowadays who I think are going to win this year. The Red Sox actually have that swagger of belief about them that the Cubs so visibly lacked.

I just worry about the pitching. And the hitting. I've just seen Matsuzaka give up too many big games, Javier Lopez give up too many key runs and Gagne suck so hard you could throw him into a wall and he'd be stuck at the face.

The Sox offense is painfully streaky when you watch them daily as I do. They're also preferential with their run support to a perplexing degree, as Roach, who briefly paid attention to his fantasy football team which allowed him to grasp just how little the Sox helped out Daisuke and how much they helped out Tim Wakefield. But yeah, CC Sabathia and co are no jokes. I'm worried.

I woulda grasped that without dumb fantasy baseball because I pay attention to the Red Sox stuff. :p But anyway, the Red Sox to me have big game players who crank it up a few notches in the post-season (Schilling, Beckett, Manny, and Ortiz specifically). That will rub off on the other players. And if I'm not mistaken, the Red Sox won 6 of 8 this season against the Indians.

And the Yankees wrecked the Indians in the regular season. That didn't quite work out. The Sox do have a handful of Mr. October candidates in Schilling, Beckett, Manny and Ortiz. But still. Pretty much the rest of the lineup are all postseason newbs. And if they aren't postseason newbs, outside of those four, they ain't so hot (I'm looking at you, JD Drew).

Question of the Day:

We all love the Geico cavemen ads. So what about the new sitcom on ABC? Any thoughts?

I don't know. I feel like people don't get the show at all and its humor. It's definitely got an unusual tone to it. That's what is leading people to say that it doesn't quite translate well from the ads to a 20 minute sitcom. Well, I think people are judging the show based on the limited scope of the commercials and not by the self-contained merit of the show.

Then there's that undercurrent of race and the issues there that probably makes people uncomfortable and cry foul.

I hope the show actually works in the whole geico caveman commercial campaign as a subplot. That would be neat.

I can't voice an opinion because I have yet to watch. I forget the specific time slot but there's something else I watch instead. I would like to see the show, though. My feeling is that the show will either really work or fail miserably. Of course a show really working is no guarantee that it won't be cancelled. SportsNight was fabulous and didn't last.

Question of the Day:

Has it cooled down near you, yet?

It finally has. It was in the 80s until yesterday. Ah, global warning.

As with all catastrophes that never really happen, global warming can be refuted by pointing out how the northern half of the mid-west has been unseasonably cold...even for the northern mid-west. But yeah, the last few days have gone from 80 degrees to 50.

Well, global warming is a misnomer of sorts in describing what's going on right now. It's the unofficial term. The official and more accurate term is climate change. The trend is warming, but there can be other varying and extreme effects in different geographical regions that don't involve a warming effect. The question is whether or not the climate change is primarily anthropogenic in nature. Well, you can either believe the pundits on cable and the internet or believe an international body of scientists. You decide.

ahem, anyway, yeah, it got cold here in the southeast. The other day it was 91. Today the high was 65. As for weird weather this summer... a bunch of record temps were broken. It was 107 one day. And there's a bad drought going on right now. The local river/water supply is really low and dried up in spots. The drinking water tastes kind of nasty. In a town nearby, you get a $1000 fine for watering your lawn/flowers or washing your car. :/

Actually, global warming was the term until people started catching on that places got cold, too. But yeah, if this trend continues, by my birthday, it will be -223 degrees. And by Christmas it will be ONE BILLION DEGREES BELOW ZERO. Needless to say, we need to enact a load of half-cocked policies to combat this.

Well, what do you expect policy-wise when you have to wade through seas of bureaucracy and counteractive special interests? Usually the most convenient solutions and not necessarily the most effective. Or you can just ignore it and revert back to the dark ages and blame/attribute it to God or the whims of fate.

None of it really matters. Since the sun's gonna explode. You can call global warming when its raining lava and mountains turn to glass and so on and so forth.

Question of the Day:

How awesome am I?

The answer is very awesome. 800 quantitative (math) and 730 verbal on the GREs! Now I just need a repeat perfromance on the psych GRE. I'd apologize for bragging, but then I remember 90% of what kurruption posts and I don't feel bad anymore.

Question of the Day:

What was (or is) your favorite course in college?

I took this great class with 7 other people about social psychology. We would all just talk about the topic for an hour with the professor and we only had to write 3 or 4 easy papers for the class. It was so interesting, so easy, and so much fun.

The best class I've had was in Microeconomics, because my prof was a badass. Though the content of a class that I liked best is iffy.

Since I'm a writer it has to be the Creative Writing class I had. The instructor was pretty cool (she let me write a very graphically violent story for the final. That class was invaluable to me.

Question of the Day:

Are there any movies out right now that I should see?

There probably are, but I can't think of them.