Question of the Day

They need to incorporate that one game from American Gladiators where the gladiator stood on a pyramid at one end and shot tennis balls at the challenger as they ran around obstacles and tried to shoot jacked up nerf weapons at the gladiator. This should be done on ice. Hell my friends and I did this in a small living room.

I love the half pipe type of idea. Maybe not anything that extreme but seeing some ramps on the ice or maybe some rails for some sweet rail slides would be great. In-line street on ice.

Or they could go with some pole dancing on ice, or maybe ice lap dancing. I'd love to see the artistic integrity scores for those events.

Nah, i'm thinking they would use the Luge things.....Can you imagine 4 people on each side, pushing and then jumping in to joust??.....Ultimate Carnage!!

The ones I want to win:
Philip Seymour Hoffman- Performance by an actor in a leading role
George Clooney- Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Charlize Theron- Performance by an actress in a leading role
Rachel Weisz- Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Paul Haggis- Achievement in directing
Crash- Best motion picture of the year
Howl’s Moving Castle- Best animated feature film of the year

The ones I think will win:
Philip Seymour Hoffman- Performance by an actor in a leading role
Jake Gyllenhaal- Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Reese Witherspoon- Performance by an actress in a leading role
Michelle Williams- Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Ang Lee- Achievement in directing
Brokeback Mountain- Best motion picture of the year
Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride- Best animated feature film of the year

All I care about is Crash not winning anything. That movie was a contrived piece of crap.

kwilson said:
All I care about is Crash not winning anything. That movie was a contrived piece of crap.

Really? I thought it was intelligent and thought invoking. I liked the story and acting a lot. And any movie that gets people to talk about race and prejudices earns a huge plus in my book. The only thing I maybe would've changed was the fact that there really wasn't a positive asian character in the film (that I can remember).

I didn't see it as contrived at all. The part with the store owner and the locksmith was totally unexpected to me, as was the part with Larenz Tate and Ryan Phillippe, among many others. I respect your opinion though. To each his own.

The New World better win for Best Cinematography, because I'm almost positive it has the best (Emmanuel Lubezki + natural lighting = excellence). Since I've probably only seen 1% of the nominations, I'll pick who I think will win based off what I've read and what I know.

Format = Category: Winner (Close Second) [Person who I want to win for whatever reason, or random notes!]

Best Picture: Brokeback Mountain (Good Night, and Good Luck)
Best Director: Ang Lee - 'Brokeback Mountain' (Spielberg - 'Munich') [Where's Malick? >:/]
Best Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman - 'Capote' (Terrence Howard - 'Hustle and Flow'/David Strathairn - 'Good Night and Good Luck') [David Strathairn]
Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon - 'Walk the Line' (Felicity Huffman - 'Transamerica') [Keira Knightley - 'Pride and Prejudice']
Best Supporting Actor: Matt Dillon - 'Crash' (George Clooney - 'Syriana') [George Clooney]
Best Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz - 'The Constant Gardener' (Amy Adams - 'Junebug') [Rachel Weisz]
Animated Feature: Tim Burton's Corpse Bride
Art Direction: Memoirs of a Geisha (King Kong)
Cinematography: Brokeback Mountain (Good Night, and Good Luck) [The New World SHOULD win!]
Costume Design: Memoirs of a Geisha (Pride and Prejudice) [This one to me is a toss up]
Documentary: March of the Penguins (Murderball) [It's just too bad that Herzog's docs didn't get nominated]
Editing: The Constant Gardener (Crash) [the guy that did City of God; also, again, where is The New World/Malick? He's basically creating a new grammar of film language with this and with his prior The Thin Red Line]
Foreign Film: Paradise Now (Tsotsi)
Makeup: Star Wars Ep. III [Give it up for its only nomination!!]
Music (Score): Brokeback Mountain (Munich) [No clue on this one really]
Music (Song): "Travelin' Thru" - Transamerica
Sound Editing: King Kong
Sound Mixing: King Kong
Visual Effects: King Kong
Writing (Adapted): Capote (A History of Violence) [Seems like one of the closest categories]
Writing (Original): The Squid and the Whale (Syriana/Good Night and Good Luck)

edit: added a comment to editing category. how appropriate.

Ok, so I underestimated Crash a bit. And that rap song that won best original song was probably the biggest surprise of the night.

Here's what I guessed right: Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actress, Art Direction, Costume Design, Documentary, Original Score, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects.

Another thing that surprised me was how many wins Memoirs of a Geisha got. And of course, The New World doesn't win, losing to Memoirs. Crash winning best picture was sort of surprising, too. It somehow garnered a lot of support despite its relatively early release in 2005 compared to the other nominees.

Best Acceptance Speech: George Clooney's Supporting Actor.

As for Jon Stewart, he did pretty good. I liked him better than Chris Rock. Still, Billy Crystal is probably my fav. Robin Williams needs to do it again because he's just crazy.

Eh, I did okay in my predictions. I thought Stewart was alright as the host. The Daily Show is great, but IMO he was just okay on Sunday. I liked Chris Rock when he did it, but Billy Crystal is definitely the best.

With all the buzz Brokeback Mountain received, I thought it was a sure lock for best picture. I'm glad Crash came away with the award, but 2005 was just a great year for movies and I couldn't have complained if any of them won. My prediction for next year is that Julian Moore wins for best actress. She did an amazing job in Freedom Land, especially in the climax.

I was floored when that rap song won an oscar. It was cool how they did it in the movie, but hearing it performed live made me think they didn't have a chance in hell at winning. A lot of people were surprised because that was the first time they heard it, whereas if they would've seen the movie they maybe would've appreciated the song more and not been so shocked. I was just glad Dolly Parton didn't win, I couldn't watch my TV when she was singing. It seemed like she had way too many surgeries, her whole face looked fake.

I can't believe Crash won for best picture. Ick. I should have realized they would pick the movie I hate most. After all the gave the Oscar to The Accidental Tourist and to Geena Davis for her role in it. Bear in mind that was the only movie my father ever fell asleep in and the only movie that drove us from the theater to play arcade games in the lobby. WORST MOVIE EVER!!!

I think I will have to see Crash now. I'm interested in some of the opposing viewpoints I have read from other people (and now it's on DVD). Katie mentioned it being contrived in some sense, an argument I have heard. As for Brokeback, well I'm in no rush to see it. It's easier to get a feel for what that movie is about by reading about it than Crash is. I tend towards movies that can't be easily explained with words; conflicting or wildly differing interpretations is usually a good sign that a movie has something interesting to contribute in some form or another. Then again, you get the occasional misguided soul who brings some overextended interpretation to most blockbusters or formula-driven films, like it wasn't dried and clear-cut to begin with. *shrugs*