How do you define the term Gamer

PrinceLUDA21

Registered
Apr 18, 2006
Philly
There are a lot of ppl claiming to my throne of a gamer...............Fools you will never get my crown
The thing is that so many ppl now consider their selfs to be a gamer. But you ppl only enjoy one title os series. I'm talking bout the madden heads and The Halo nuts. No offence to some of you on here. But i've seen a lot of ppl say yea i'm a gamer but i ask, o yea so what do you play? my answer i get is well i only play Halo. or I only play sports games. Dont get me wrong what ever you play play it. But to me gamer means universal.............. I e you play more than just one. You can't be a pimp or a player with just one girl can you..................

For those of you on here who love Halo and Madden but enjoy other titles this if not ment to offend. More to way out the fakers that like to call themselves what i've been called all my life A GEEK! I remember a time when being called a gamer ment no poo-tong for you. Now it's like being a pimp.

i disagree wit you.....a gamer can be one that plays constiantly and never gives up untill his mission is completed....also u dont have to play all titles to be a gamer.....to be a gamer means playin what u like and thats it.....its like a religion.....sure there are many out there, but none like ur own.....every gamer is different and gamers arent those who take other peoples ideals and opinions......Critics are assholes....they watch movies , play games, listen to music, and they express their opinons....if they hate it, it dont matter.....ur not them...what they say is a bunch of bull shit...what ur sayin as far as being a gamer is like being a pimp...not true....i have never met a girl that likes a guy bcuz he games....but maybe thats bcuz i live in new york....gamers are those who play on their own rules....i play Americas army, halo, occasional guantlet legends (seven sorrows) need for speed, and cod2 (on my friends 360)....do i consider myself a gamer....well yes...i consider myself a gamer bcuz i like to play games for fun and somtimes compitition....ok thats what i think

Why can't a gamer be anyone enjoys video games? I don't think it should be judged on what you play, or how much you play. This sort of reminds me of the whole "poser" type of labeling, let's not have that carry over into gaming now. No one is more superior than the other when it comes to gaming in general.

But do understand what i'm trying to express. I play games all games. You name it I've probaly played it. the thing is I like to define myself as a versatile gamer. Because I don't stick to just one style game or just things i like I like to try everthing and play everything. I have a problem with ppl comeing out a syaing they are a gamer and cant give me something they play other then one game or so they play. If you sit and only play one game you are not a gamer. You just found somethin to past time by. Now the term can be broken down in sections I E i'm more of a Action/Platformer/RPG gamer. But i will hand you your ass in a fighter or a FPS if i've played it. And down here i've seen lots of girls that are attracted to a gamer. Wreird I never thought they exsited.

But case in point you play games right not just one style of game. Your life pretty much sucks when you don't have that out. Other than have a life outside of Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, And PC. Your pretty much in the same boat i'm in. But there are fakers out there posing as gamers.

I don't personally care much for labels, and I dislike even more when people try to quantify what qualifies one to earn a label they deem special, but for me a gamer is anyone who is, to some level , imeresed into the culture of video games.

I absolutely agree with Seanxor. Saying someone is not a gamer cause they only play one game is not right. A gamer is anyone who enjoys games and has an interest in the gaming community. Rejecting someone as a gamer is like what people do in groups, discriminating them cause they are not good looking enough or they are not good enough at something. If you gave that person a chance and that person has the will and commitment to do what they want to do, you'd see more people with higher self-esteems and more people being accepted in society. Sadly, this is not how much of society works and if gamers start pushing people away where will people go. The gaming community is new and it needs as much people as possible to grow into something unimaginable to anyone. Just think if everyone in the world was a gamer, society would be stronger as a unity. Everyone would have something in common and no one would be pushed away. Just consider what your saying when you lable people as "wanna-be" gamers.

IMO a "gamer" is anyone who plays video games....or video game....even if they play one i feel they are a gamer

Face it people I don't like to put people in a certain group but it's what people do now adays cuz it they think it makes then stand out in a crowd or whatever.A gamer to me is someone who can't live wit out playing a new game or run back a old classic.Waiting for that new system wit the new hottness from your fav company(Viva la Capcom)and just can't stop playing and enjoying games.

PrinceLUDA21 said:
But do understand what i'm trying to express. I play games all games. You name it I've probaly played it. the thing is I like to define myself as a versatile gamer. Because I don't stick to just one style game or just things i like I like to try everthing and play everything.

All of them eh? I'll bet you LOVE Barbie Horse Adventures!

I think your platform of elitism is a barrel of balls - the testicle kind, not the rubber kind. Why does every classification of person have to have a few idiots who carry themselves as pure and above all others?

You're a gamer, sure. I'm a gamer too. I play video games about 5 hours a week on average. And I try to play only the best games. According to your definition, I wouldn't be a gamer. That's too bad, but I'm not crying about it, because I have 162 hours in a week to be something other than a gamer. Something more worthwhile - like a brother, a husband, an uncle, a writer, a driver .... ooooh, there's a good one. Pick a nascar driver. Think he's driven every model of car in the world? I doubt it, and yet: HE'S A DRIVER!!! Shocking, isn't it?

My point is: if I have to devote the entire body of my free time to gaming to be classified as a gamer, I'll pass. I'd become a wasted shell of a human being. And I'm sure I don't want to be one of those.

From the "Last Game You Bought" thread:

PrinceLUDA21 said:
Here's the trick I dont have a life. I hang out in gamestop and buy shit. I dont sleep. I go over my friends hose with either my 360.......on the bus........and my memorycards. Most of my friends buy the same games i do if not i take it with me. I play and Play all week.

Dont be like me unless you dont want a life

At least you admit it.

:)

Well I have played that Barbie Game................Dont remind me.

I used to work at Gamestop and when I had no work to do................Which was most of the time..........I played games. Not to mention I had to test out games for ppl.

Ahhh, well the fact that you worked at a games store sheds a different light on the matter.

Still, I don't think you can tell me I'm not a gamer.

The term gamer actually includes people who've never touched a D-pad. RPG players call themselves gamers too.

Jason mv said:
Ladies Man? I don't get it.

I was being sarcastic since the fact when someone usually hears the word game a geek/nerd person who has never even touch a girl comes into mind

Proving that a gamer is a gamer is a gamer... and that there's a fine line between "dedication" and "obsession".

As for me, hey, I've been known to lose entire weekends to a good game. As a reviewer and an editor, I'm QUITE SURE that I spend more time playing games than sleeping- and that's on top of a 50-60 hour a week job and my responsibilities as a husband and a father of two. Do I wish I had more staff somtimes so I could get more than 4 hours of sleep most nights? Sure. But do I love my hobby? Absolutely.

I guess for me a "gamer" (as opposed to someone that merely "enjoys playing games") is:

Someone that feels that interactive, electronic games comprises a storytelling medium every bit as artistically and socially valid as painting, opera, movies, books or any other "art form" one cares to name. Not all games are "art", just as some movies, music, books, etc. are not "art", but SOME ARE, and, as "gamers", we revel in the fact that we can recognize this genius when we see it.

The fact that gamers... TRUE gamers (like myself) are irrestible stud-muffins that always leave a lady limp, breathless and satisfied is *totally* beside the point...

Does gaming mandate a console, PC, or arcade. Or all of them?

You're a football player only if you play football. You're a gamer only if you play games.

Y'know, 'Gamer' is the term they use to describe those of us who still play pen-and-paper RPG and Strategy games as well. Now I will put on my +5 Cloak of Shame and shuffle away...*shuffle*, *shuffle*, *shuffle*...

No no no Scribe... EMBRACE your heritage!! We are still the Secret Burning Heart and Soul of Alll Gamers, for our art is subtle and sublime, made of nothing but imagination and words. Technology, SCHMECHOLOGY! Pshaw! When Armegeddon comes we'll be playing D&D or Werewolf around the smoking embers of the great cities, character sheets and indestructable plastic dice in-hand. :cookiemon

ImagoX said:
Proving that a gamer is a gamer is a gamer... and that there's a fine line between "dedication" and "obsession".

As for me, hey, I've been known to lose entire weekends to a good game. As a reviewer and an editor, I'm QUITE SURE that I spend more time playing games than sleeping- and that's on top of a 50-60 hour a week job and my responsibilities as a husband and a father of two. Do I wish I had more staff somtimes so I could get more than 4 hours of sleep most nights? Sure. But do I love my hobby? Absolutely.

I guess for me a "gamer" (as opposed to someone that merely "enjoys playing games") is:

Someone that feels that interactive, electronic games comprises a storytelling medium every bit as artistically and socially valid as painting, opera, movies, books or any other "art form" one cares to name. Not all games are "art", just as some movies, music, books, etc. are not "art", but SOME ARE, and, as "gamers", we revel in the fact that we can recognize this genius when we see it.

The fact that gamers... TRUE gamers (like myself) are irrestible stud-muffins that always leave a lady limp, breathless and satisfied is *totally* beside the point...

See something I can agree with. I mean not to tell someone they cant be a gamer. Just dont act like a Gamer at the level of some who live, eat, shit, and breath games. I work fulltime. I try to have a outside life. but games suck me back in. whne my life is to shit I play a game. And it dose count if you play PC or what ever. Efen those of you origanl D&D players. To me Gamer also means GEEK. and thats what I am i dont hide it and I wont lie about it. I'd rather play a game then Party with Chicks. And if you agree with me on that then you my friend are a Geek just like me.

And GameStop sucked after a while. But the games so many games