Zelda: Twilight Princess

Hey, Ocarina of Time marked a point in Zelda where they had a perfect balance between child friendliness, and adult appeal. Majora's Mask carried this too, somewhat. Then Wind Waker blasted it to hell. I just straight up don't like cell shading unless it's a game based on a cartoon.

I too was disappointed by Wind Waker. While it wasn't a bad game by any means, I'd still say it was the most mediocre console Zelda game I've ever played.

I'm confident Twilight Princess will surpass Wind Waker, but I think it's stupid that they decided to delay it until next year....unless Nintendo's trying to spoil the PS3 launch. Actually, now that I think about, didn't Majora's Mask come out at the same times as the PS2 launch? I could be wrong.

Well, your complaints seem to be aimed at the "kiddie" style of the game, something a lot of people complained about. However, you seem to be conflating that with cel shading as a whole; it's entirely possible to make "kiddie" style graphics without cel shading, and it's entirely possible to use cel shading that doesn't result in "kiddie" style graphics.

So it sounds like your complaints aren't about cel shading per se, but the direction that Nintendo took with the overall presentation. I'm just pointing out that it's not necessarily the cel shading that determined the game's visual direction. The way you're talking, it sounds as if every cel shaded game looks like Wind Waker.

I didn't like the way Killer 7, Katamari Damacy or XIII look either. I don't like the way cell shading looks, except for in anime games like Robotech and Full Metal Alchemist because it does the best job of holding true to the series' look. It was worse when they tainted Zelda with it.

sheesh. ok time to get schooled spuds.

the legend of zelda has been based on the same characters and almost identical events since it's inception. this has been done on purpose...link is, if you will, a hero who has to keep completing his same quest repeatedly. think of hades a little bit (each person relives their own personal hell over and over).

now, the reason for this ties in and is even more or less explained at the beginning of wind waker. this story has become legend...it is a timeless tale. think of each game as being a different "telling" of it, as we all know how legends can become so many different things when they are told across the ages.

no, this is not an absolute truth, but this is what goes into a lot of what LoZ is about. to utilize the different graphical approach was two main things.

A. they were going to be using huge, wide-open spaces (all that water, and no load times). they needed to be able to render that quickly and effectively without using fog or the like.

B. it also served as a means for showing a different narrator telling the story. If they had just overhauled the majora's mask engine and tried to make things look realistic, it would have been boring. I for one enjoyed the cartoonish animation, from the smoke effects, to the stylized almost nordic appearance that many of the things in the game looked.

link is a time traveler...but also travels in the 5th dimension by being timeless. this is what enables him to basically do the same stuff every game and not get boring. the cel shading kept things looking fresh.

GhostToast said:
sheesh. ok time to get schooled spuds.

the legend of zelda has been based on the same characters and almost identical events since it's inception. this has been done on purpose...link is, if you will, a hero who has to keep completing his same quest repeatedly. think of hades a little bit (each person relives their own personal hell over and over).

now, the reason for this ties in and is even more or less explained at the beginning of wind waker. this story has become legend...it is a timeless tale. think of each game as being a different "telling" of it, as we all know how legends can become so many different things when they are told across the ages.

no, this is not an absolute truth, but this is what goes into a lot of what LoZ is about. to utilize the different graphical approach was two main things.

A. they were going to be using huge, wide-open spaces (all that water, and no load times). they needed to be able to render that quickly and effectively without using fog or the like.

B. it also served as a means for showing a different narrator telling the story. If they had just overhauled the majora's mask engine and tried to make things look realistic, it would have been boring. I for one enjoyed the cartoonish animation, from the smoke effects, to the stylized almost nordic appearance that many of the things in the game looked.

link is a time traveler...but also travels in the 5th dimension by being timeless. this is what enables him to basically do the same stuff every game and not get boring. the cel shading kept things looking fresh.

Ok...I still don't like it. Bu you know...it's a different Link every other game. They kinda pair off. It is the same Link in the NES Zeldas, the same Link in Link's Awakening and Link to the Past, Ocarina and Majora's Mask, Four Swords and Minish Cap (I believe), and Orace of Ages and Seasons.