Why Nintendo is not hyping the Revolution.....

Personally, I am really looking forward to the Revolution. Rumors are going around that it is only going to be $150. $150!

Now, if I am paying that little for a system, I don't really need much to keep me happy. Give me a Nintendo franchise game every now and then, like Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, etc., and give me a Star Wars game, and a Hideo Kojima game, and I will be ecstatic.

True 'dat. If Nintendo actually DOES make the price $150, that'll put it in a position to be an impulse buy, and if they can put out a good deal of solid games, and if they can draw in more gamers, they will be much better off than before.

Absolutely. The more people that get in on gaming at even the smallest level, will get further into it. Let'em join our ranks and before you know it, they will have XBL and making obscure references to FF.

When has Nintendo really hyped any console? I think the DS has by the most commercialized system other than the Gameboy and SNES. Nintendo focuses more on hyping the games themselves, which if the Revolution has no games ready to be shown, then they probally won't show the Revolution either.

I like what action hank has said about not hyping the console if it has no games to hype with it. That makes total sense and I have been dissapointed in the other consoles for doing that. I am hoping that Nintendo doesn't start to do it too

I do think it is interesting how we all believe Nintendo lost this round of the console wars. And while the sales figures may put them in third place, to my understanding Nintendo is still a fiscally sound company. I swear I read an article by some Nintendo executive saying that they are still in the black. If my information is true, it is even more impressive that they have stayed fiscally sound when they are a company devoted to video games. Both Microsoft and Sony are obviously enormous corporations and have the resources to really push their products. I see Nintendo in a similar light that I see Apple Computer. Since Jobs returned what some 10 years ago, Apple has returned to profitability despite the overwhelming imbalance in market share. And this was even before the iPod.

So I have stopped second guessing Nintendo. To have lasted this long in a brutal modern corporate environment, and to have fended off Sony's initial stab into the handheld market is an impressive feat. Nintendo will hang around. Though the quantity of games will never match the other two consoles, I have confidence that we true believers will see some impressive quality.

This mini rant still does not change my true opinion. I think many of Nintendo's upcoming projects, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime: Hunters, and the Revolution are all figments of our imagination.

I am afraid that if I start to really get my hopes up about Nintedo's projects that I will get let down. I am trying to just hope that they will rock without really revolving my life around them.

Nintendo is still well in the black, Wijg. They're still making hundreds of millions a year. But they still lost lots of ground in terms of fanbase this generation.

They did lose a huge bite of their market. How could they not? The PS2 soared to 70% of the market share, then the xbox came along and took over 15%. The Nintendo Dolphin didn't even release in the US once Nintendo saw what the xbox could do. They dropped back and punted, then came back with the Gamecube. They may still be in the black, and a financially sound company, but they are not the juggernaut they used to be. Once upon a time, they were the ones that put Atari out of the console business and the Gameboy had no peers.

Yeah. Nintendo has been slipping to the competition for years now. The NES was on top, and simply dominant when it was around. Then the SNES came around and sold about 49 million units worldwide, but it actually fell behind the Genesis in America. Then came the PS1 vs the N64. THAT was when things turned quite sour for Nintendo, with the PS1 selling 101 million units, and the N64 selling 38 million. Then the Gamecube cut their sales in half, selling only 19 million units.