What's your Name there stranger? Animal Crossing: Wild World WiFi Buddies

if anyone wants my AC or Mario Kart DS Friend codes, PM me. I'll pwn you in Mario Kart and share my Apples and Coconuts in AC.

and by the way zack, i am planning on playing AC afterwork. i mean...nobody else is planning on playing with me, yet. but hopefully you will! i have to play at freakin mcdonald's incase you havent read the rest of the posts here. so...if anyone is actually willing to give me their friend code and meet up (would probably be good to exchange cell numbers too) at 4:00 p.m. CST (5:00 EST) i would be thrilled to play. (that is also 2:00 for california).
let me know.

It's hard to explain. I think it's the element of surprise. There are so many little details in the game, you never know what's going to happen next. Your actions have repurcussions, and you don't really know what they'll be. There's also a ton of stuff to do. And sometimes it's fun to just send dirty, filthy letters to your villagers and get presents back from them.

I remember being very excited when it was first released for GC. I wanted to see what a game that effectively kept playing itself when I wasn't there would be like. I went out and rented it right away. I couldn't play it with my memory card (too small), so I went out and bought a bigger one ($30). When I finally got playing, I was furious at how unexciting the game was. No story, embarrassing graphics, pointless interactions.

Maybe I didn't persist enough for it to become interesting for me.

its not an immediate gratification type of game. its more casual than that. its more like a tamigotchi meets the sims...in those tamigotchi titles, the fun wasnt in just pumping food into the animal all day long, but thinking that it will be there when you get home from work or whatever. (thankfully, this game does not actually make you feed or do anything on a schedule). anyway...its more like a game you can play for a few hours a day in my opinion. sort of like hanging out at a friend's house.

the game is like a relationship, and you invest a little bit of time to it here and there....unlike most games where you basically try to get into the game's pants by buying it lots of drinks and then having wild, passionate sex until finally you orgasm and the game is over and you never want to play it again. this game is a steady relationship, a commitment.

wait. arent you about to be married? YOU'RE DOOMED IF YOU CANT FIND SOMETHING ENJOYABLE ABOUT AC!! j/k but hope this explanation helps.

Well, I suppose my relationships with actual people fulfill whatever need AC fulfills in others.

I do understand a little better, I suppose. I would rather have that kind of relationship with something I am working on. Something that is all my own. A piece of art or writing for example.

No insult was intended. I see how it could be interpreted that way though.

Let me rephrase: My need for that sort of attention is not such that I elect to turn to a game for its fulfillment. It may be that my need is less by nature, than another who might elect to play AC.

I think you're reading too much into this Basil.

It's still a game. Part of the game involves developing and maintaining relationships with people in your town. But honestly, you don't even need to do that. The fact that there are no absolute goals is part of the appeal, in fact. What's really nice about AC is that it will literally go on forever, or at least as long as you want it to. There no way to lose. You can't die. Your village is never destroyed. It will always be there, even if you leave it for a long time -- it will just take some work, clearing up weeds and stuff to get things back to "normal"... or you can keep it that way.

In fact, you can play Animal Crossing however you want (within the game's rules). Some people, like Ghost, like to play "traditionally", keeping the game clock in sync with real time and playing for a little while each day -- maybe thirty minutes to an hour. Other people, like myself, choose to "time travel", changing the game clock (an option built into the game) to skip ahead or back to different days in order to accomplish specific goals. Beyond this, you can play toward whatever goal you'd like. Your home is "rated' based on the layout, so you could try to improve this rating. The general layout of the town will attract or repulse villagers, so that can be experimented with. There's a huge amount of furniture, clothing, and other items, as well as fish, insects, and so on to collect. These can be donated to the museum, collected for display, or sold for money. You can design your own clothing and personal accessories. There are events on specific days, like fishing tournaments to enter or special visitors. There's even a "stock market". It lets any player play the game how they want, toward whatever goals they want.

None of this even takes into account the wifi play with other people.

That said, if the game isn't for you, it's not for you. Some people don't like the presentation. I happen to think that there's more to the game's content than its graphics, or the "style" of the overall presentation. Some people just don't like the lack of solid goals, they need direction and need to be told what to do in order to enjoy a game. They won't like Animal Crossing as much. And some people just don't find it fun. That's all fine.

Moderator's note - Well said BC.
BCampbell's note - I know, thanks.
Moderator's note - ...God?
BCampbell's note - Yes my child?
Moderator's note - Just checking. Nevermind

Last edited by a moderator:
what i meant by comparing the game to a relationship is just that it takes a little commitment and is less like a game with solid concepts and objectives and more open-ended like a casual relationship. not that it is actually a relationship simulator...just to clear that up.

4338 5449 4722

This is my AC friend code. My town is Ehburgh and my player is Calum.

Hopefully we will all be able to play sometime soon.

ok. so as me and cuinneas discovered, you DO need to put in the friend name and town along w/ the number when you register a friend. but you don't have to be online at the time you input the friend information. so for those who plan on playing with us in the future, put the info in ahead of time to make life easier. mine is on a previous page of this thread.