Things That Suck

There are many afctors that an influence a person's "ideal" nutritional habits. What you're saying is that a marathon runner living in Nigeria has the same nutritional needs as a Hindu living on sri Lanka has the same nutritional needs as an accountant living in New York City. That's obviously not true, for a variety of reasons.

As for sugared sodas, it's a matter of a person's other habits. You're making it sound like a healthy person can't drink soda and remain healthy. Our body is designed to deal with a lot of things; if you're fairly active, your body can take in many calories of sugar and use them as fuel instead of converting them to lipids. You don't really know what GT's lifestyle is like, so it's really hard for you to make absolute statements about his diet. Do you think a nutritional counselor (a good one, anyway) would give everyone the same advice because "When it comes to general physiology and health, humans are pretty much the same the world over"? Their jobs would be pretty pointless, wouldn't they!

I think their jobs are pretty much pointless. I doesn't take someone with a certificate to figure out how to eat relatively healthily. I'm not consulting a dietician or even following any guide. I'm eating the way I know I should (for the most part, I'll add, because I do indulge once in a while, in a potato chip or something). I don't need booklearning to tell me veggies and fruit are good for me.

What I meant by my generalization was that there are certain basic rules that can be followed by everyone. I hold to that.

Someone probably said the same of using blue screen in films other than the one it was first employed in. It's a good cinematographic technique, it just needs to find its place somewhere near the bottom of the action director's bag of tricks.

Blue screens and soda. Now that's a connection I wouldn't have guessed. Yeah, I'm 6'3" tall and weigh between 225 and 230 depending on what day and scale I step on. Could I be in better shape? Absolutely. I understand the health food points, but I don't stress about them. Primarily I've started to watch how much I eat, and not whether the milk is soy or cow.

I wonder how people like my great-grandparents did it? They ate bacon, eggs, grits, and any other kind of meat and vegetable on a farm. During the Depression, they ate what they could. They all died at ripe old ages and in strong health. The current generation of my family has it easier, but still work very hard. However, they aren't nearly as robust as their grandparents, etc. What's the difference?

BC: Not having strong enough convictions to bother defending sucks.

DJ: Sugar was scarce in our grandparents' time. Now, it's a staple. The average American child consumes 15 lbs of sugar a year, some consume as much as 350 lbs. That's the big difference. The human body can digest about 1 piece of fruit an hour without turning the sugar into lipids. There is something like 12 times as much sugar in a candy-bar than in an apple. It's not so much the fat that's killing us, it's the sugar.

I like meat. Pretty much anything that can be edible at that. I had a friend that had sworn off meat. When he went to the doctor for some health problems, the doc said that he could issue him some iron pills or he could just eat some steak.

He went for the cow. Then he decided he liked meat. Now he's healthy and strong. But the cows are dead. Poor cows.

Avocado fat is a good fat. It's the kind you need and is easily converted to fuel. Of course, don't eat a dozen a day, sitting around and expect to maintain a trim waistline.

I like meat too. There's nothing wrong with it, and sometimes it's easier to eat some steak than get as much spinach as you'd need to make up your iron content. If you're going to avoid a kind of meat, pork is the one to avoid, or so I've discovered. Lamb, chicken, fish, beef. All those are good news. Pork is not so great for you, though. I likes me bacon now and then though, I cannot tell a lie.

there was a hog truck in town today on my way to work. we were all stopped at a light and i saw little puffs of respiration (cold outside) as the piggies had their snouts to the holes and were trying to breath the fresh air. it was rather disgusting to think that i am going to eat as many of them as i can. oh well.

basilmunroe said:
That's 100% true. We could live on fruit alone if we got enough different varieties of it. I'm a huge fan of the avocado, myself. Love the things.

uhh... you may want to read this http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vegetarian-diet/HQ01596

Not that you need the fancy book learnin', but it is the Mayo Clinic. Most notable there is vitamin B-12.

I'm not arguing that we're designed to be meat eaters. We're not. If we had never learned how to cook meat, it wouldn't be such a big part of our diet. But it's really dangerous to suggest that it's simple to live on a purely vegetarian diet -- or a "fruititarian" diet at that. Good luck getting iron and calcium from fruit.