Things That Suck

Are you kidding me? 12 tsps of sugar for breakfast! That's positively revolting. Your body is an engineering marvel. You wouldn't put cheap gas into a Porsche 911 Turbo, why are you putting it into your body?

I'm from the South. Our women and our ice tea are sweet. Sugar is such a beautiful thing. Caffeine rocks too. Besides, I don't drink (normally) or smoke (except an occasional cigar), so allow me this one vice.

i am 6 foot 2 and weigh 155 pounds. i eat like a barbarian and people tell me all the time "Oh my GOD you're so skinny! You make me sick!" and "I hate you. You can eat like that and look the way you do" etc etc over and over man.

i dont turn around to them and say "You're fat and i am sick of looking at you and hearing you complain!" cause fat people are practically in a protected class these days. it's like smoking or religion...people make choices and don't want to hear other people tell them how to do it.

if you've found spiritual enlightenment and want to share it with others, that's fine. but realize that a condescending approach will get you nowhere.

That's precisely what I'm talking about. You're accusing me of being condescending when all I did was challenge you to consider what you're fueling your body with.

And by the way, you could be a slim as a heroin junkie but your heart could be on its deathbed. Your weight is not the only thing affected by your diet.

basilmunroe said:
Are you kidding me? 12 tsps of sugar for breakfast! That's positively revolting. Your body is an engineering marvel. You wouldn't put cheap gas into a Porsche 911 Turbo, why are you putting it into your body?

well where i come from, saying that something someone else is going to or has consumed is "positively revolting" is rude. and that's kind of like condescending.

basilmunroe said:
haha! Victory is mine!

Seriously though, I've found that people (not just gamers and such, but people in general) are very protective and defensive about their eating habits.

I think what people are defensive about is being told what to do. I'm not a health food nut but I watch what I eat. I drink soy milk instead of dairy. I don't eat beef. I have al ot of nutritional habits that are on the healthier side of the scale. But I don't tell people that they should be drinking soy milk instead of dairy milk. If the topic comes up, I explain that, in my experience, a lot of medical problems I was having went away when I stopped consuming so much dairy. I don't suggest that it would be best for other people, I just relate what I do, feel, and think personally.

I find that it's all in the delivery. Telling someone "eating so much sugar is bad for you" is totally different than telling them "I can't eat that much sugar, it does bad things to my body." if you say the first, the person you're speaking with thinks you're accusing them of something, and has every right to get defensive. If you say the second, you're opening them up to dialogue, and if they want to talk about it they'll continue and ask you questions.

BC makes a fantastic point. I bow to his wisdom.

When I stopped eating a lot of sugar (I don't drink soda any more) and fatty foods (potato chips, cured meats like salami, etc.), I started losing the extra 20-odd pounds I was carrying and began to feel a ton better all the time. I felt healthier, more comfortable just being awake than I used to feel.

i dont go for sweets often, i drink a pop a day or less. i use some fake-butter/margarine substitute thing...drink soy milk, and try to have a balanced diet low in processed fats and sugars. but i require more calories than i should...i probably have a tapeworm.

All that said, I still eat junk every once in a while. I love pizza. Can't get enough. And it has to go with Wild Cherry Pepsi. And whenever I'm watching TV, I have to snack on something. Chocolate is my friend. But still, I don't want anyone telling me what I should or shouldn't do, unrequested. Nobody wants that. I could tell you that you're wasting too much of your time on these message boards if you're really serious about trying to publish a book. But that would be extremely rude of me, since you didn't ask for that opinion.

And remember, just because something is good for you, that doesn't mean it's good for someone else. There's no need to get overbearing and tell someone taht they'r emaking the huge mistake, especially when you don't know much about them or their goals.

And G, you may simply have a high BMR. And didn't you know that margarine is full of saturated fats! Oh man that stuff will KILL you! Butter is all unsaturated, it's soo much better! You're gonna die man, you're gonna DIE!

Sometimes I've wished for a tapeworm. Oh, the things I would eat without consequence!

It's likely that you just have a very high metabolism. I'd say you were lucky, but I don't particularly believe in luck.

What's the butter substitute called? Personally, I eat butter. I think it's healthier (in moderation) than anything they can simulate it with. Margarine is pretty much plastic in its chemical makeup. The best fat is olive oil, or any kind of vegetable oil (though olive oil is a bit better due to something or other that it contains).

olive oil cant be cooked w/ as much though as it's burn-off temperature is so low. i cant remmeber what it's called but it's in a green and yellow tin and maybe it's called something like "nature's balance"

it's fairly unspreadable like butter, but apparently better for you. to be honest, my wife picked it out. i'm fine with it.

i'll never forget the time i tried to pan fry some steaks and they ended up tasting like resin and the whole house wreaked cause i used olive oil. and if any of you happen to know what smoking resin tastes/smells like...yea. we still ate the steaks but the edges were awful!

BCampbell said:
I could tell you that you're wasting too much of your time on these message boards if you're really serious about trying to publish a book. But that would be extremely rude of me, since you didn't ask for that opinion.

And remember, just because something is good for you, that doesn't mean it's good for someone else. There's no need to get overbearing and tell someone taht they'r emaking the huge mistake, especially when you don't know much about them or their goals.
As to your first point. I don't visit MyGamer except when I'm at work, where I can't be working on my personal publishing/writing projects anyway. And I didn't find it rude, not even when it was presented in the backhanded, dirty way it was ;)

Your second point, I tend to disagree with. When it comes to general physiology and health, humans are pretty much the same the world over. There are some medical conditions that might mean I should lay off the caffeine entirely, whereas you might be harmed if you drank a de-caf coffee, but in general, making a habit of liquifying 12 tsps of sugar and guzzling it down isn't going to do anybody a whit of good.