Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

scoops

Registered
Dec 6, 2005
Toronto, Canada
bmunroe.roestudios.com
Who's played it? Is it any good? It certainly LOOKS good. I'm debating a purchase. Any info would be great.

How well does the live battle system work out? I'm used to either a straight action game or a turn-based RPG.

I just got it for Christmas and started playing yesterday. It isn't turned based so you actually have to manuver the character and have him hit people. I find this difficult with all the menus and whatnot - it's not as straightforward as the Bio-Ware games when it comes to smacking people around. However, you are probably non-spastic enough to get along just fine. I'll let you know more about as I continue to play - I've only been in 2 battles so far.

Ahhh. Right. I see now. I've played Metal Gear before. I liked it OK, but I don't know if it's really my style of game. I like story heavy action games and RPGs. I also like anything Zelda, Metroid, and most things Mario. I'm playing Jak3 and FFX right now and enjoying them both. It looks like Star Ocean is very story heavy - which is a selling point for me, and possibly more fun to play than FF. What does Katie think?

MGS is THE story-heavy action game. Star Ocean sometimes can get repetitive and annoying because the dungeons are set up with lotsa backtracking and tough-to-see buttons and levers and such.

Let me revise: Action-Adventure. Metal Gear was a little too real-y for me. I generally don't like guns that exist. I like ones that repel things with waves of sound or shoot blue rays etc. Swords are even better.

MGS2 has a sword......

but I get your point. In which case, I'd recommend Onimusha 2 and 3, Dark Cloud 1 and 2, and Kingdom Hearts. But if you want a great RPG, get Suikoden 3. That is my 2nd favorite RPG out there, and my favorite PS2 game.

Suikoden 3 isn't overrated! Can sleeper hits even be over rated? At least Suikoden 3 didn't get dumbed down, whose only selling point is how it comes with a demo for a non-remedial RPG series.

Well the two games I've got right now should last me a while. Maybe not Jak3 but FFX will take some time to complete. Especially since I don't get a lot of play time -- my PS2 is at my fiancee's house. I'll take a closer look at DragonQuest, but I think I WILL get Star Ocean.

Katie: I'm still interested in your ongoing impressions of the game.

I'll let you know as soon as I play it again, which won't be until this weekend at the earliest. The graphics are pretty...I like pretty games.

BCampbell said:
I don't know if you can bash DQ8 Steve, did you check gamrankings on that one? I mean, you're gonna be disagreeing with a lot of sites and magazines. And we all know how you feel on that one.

Magazines and sites often tend to cave into hype and often seem to take it easier on games that advertise on their site/magazine.

Screw the FF demo, that games seems like it's going to be crap, DQ8 is Golden, old school at it's best, and yes, Suikoden 3 is overrated, it's the bastard cousin of Suikoden 1 and 2, and Suikoden 4 is the cousin you don't speak about, the new one that's in the works looks sweet though.