Sleeper games

Maverick

I'm A Pimp, Bitch
Registered
Jul 10, 2005
The Steel City
www.myspace.com
What are your favorite sleeper games, or what games coming out do you believe will be sleepers?

For me one of my favorite sleeper hits was Beyond Good and Evil. It had a deep story, good controls, and great voice acting. But since it wasn't really about killing people I guess it flew under the radar. It was a superb stealth adventure game, and its a shame most people don't know about it.
I think a future console game that may be a sleeper hit could be Indigo Prophecy. There really hasn't been that much hype about the game, but I tried the demo of it and I was surprised at how much freedom over your character's choices. Almost everything you do has some kind of consequence. The part I played was very short, but if the rest of the game has the same freedom and intensity, IP could turn out to be really good.

Shadow Hearts, both were amazing good. Well thought out plot and fun battle gameplay. Plus the graphics were awesome.

Star Ocean 2- Great RPG and definatly underplayed

Fatal Frame- The first was almost non-existant when it first came out. Well worth the price paid

There is another one that I am playing the title escapes me for the moment....ah found it! Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2

there's this fighting game on ps1 called Evil Zone that never really caught on. It's projectile based, sorta like psychic force. there's only the block and attack button in combination with the directional pad for doing special attacks, and the dreaded capture bubble for doing flashy power moves n' stuff. I'd say this game paved the way for games like DBZ budokai

Panzer Dragoon Orta is another one, and ICO for ps2. I think shadow of the colosus will probably be another sleeper hit.

Guitar Hero could be another one.

I would agree about Panzer Dragoon. I was going to mention Shadow of the Colossus, but I think people made such a big deal about Ico not getting the respect it deserved that SotC will probably do better. Plus there is some buildup for it I think.

Last edited:
King of Fighters, Guilty Gear, Suikoden, Otogi...

I don't think Star Ocean would be a sleeper hit, it is on the greatest hits list, so it sold 1 million.

Actually, since Jet Set Radio was bundled with the console for a long time, lotsa people ended up trying it out...

Monster Rancher series... I can't find MR4 in my area.

Psychonauts is going to end up a sleeper, it had abysmal sales but is an awesome game.

Practially every Dreamcast game that isn't Soul Calibur and Shenmue... Metropolis Street Racer (the XBox sequels got a ton more attention), Ecco the Dolphin, Test Drive: Le Mans...

I don't know if Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution counds as a sleeper but it kicks some serious ass.

I agree w/the fatal frame folks - I think this is the scariest set of games ever made.

Also - Beyond Good and Evil... Great game I think!

spudlyff8fan said:
I don't think Star Ocean would be a sleeper hit, it is on the greatest hits list, so it sold 1 million.

Um...No it wasn't. Star Ocean 3: Till the end of Time made it on the Greatest Hits. But Star Ocean 2: Second Story, the one I am talking about, did not. This is the one that was released on PS one.

The storyline and the depth of characters are so much better on the Second Story. Most people didn't know it or the first one existed. I only knew of it because of my obcession with RPGs.

ajakun- I agree, I hate playing that game alone at night. Some people say that Silent Hill is scarier. But I am not sure, I thought Silent Hill was more of a pyschological thing as opposed to just scary. Some try to say that the Resident Evil were scarier....bah. Just another FPS if you ask me, except it had zombies. Fatal Frame blows that game away.

Descent: Freespace. Great game with awesome story and missions. The follow-up wasn't nearly as good but it was still not half bad..

Aquanox was great too, and nobody knew about it, as was the original System Shock (app relatively unknown, all PC)..

I figured out why FF is way scarier than any other survival horror - Because the things you fight are ghosts, and can come through walls, disappear and follow you anywhere. There's basically no running away, ever...

And, the WORST is when you're in that first-person mode, trying to take a picture and searching for the ghost (who has blinked out for a second), then all of the sudden, they're RIGHT in front of you.

Sometimes I scream while I play this game.

Also, I can only play for about 1/2 hour - 1 hour (if I'm really paying attention to playing the game) before my tummy starts feeling really sick from all the tension built up in my tummy.

Beth said:
Um...No it wasn't. Star Ocean 3: Till the end of Time made it on the Greatest Hits. But Star Ocean 2: Second Story, the one I am talking about, did not. This is the one that was released on PS one.

The storyline and the depth of characters are so much better on the Second Story. Most people didn't know it or the first one existed. I only knew of it because of my obcession with RPGs.

ajakun- I agree, I hate playing that game alone at night. Some people say that Silent Hill is scarier. But I am not sure, I thought Silent Hill was more of a pyschological thing as opposed to just scary. Some try to say that the Resident Evil were scarier....bah. Just another FPS if you ask me, except it had zombies. Fatal Frame blows that game away.

Star Ocean: Til the End of Time is much like FF7. Before FF7, all the other FFs would be considered sleeper hits, but FF7 drew attention to the series as a whole, which made people interested in previous installments. Though the previous two weren't all that popular, I think they are now.

But RE is not another FPS!!! Unlike all other survival horror games, instead of having a mediocre level of scariness panned throughout the game, they focus on creating the most memorable gaming moments in history. When it comes to survival horrors, I'll remember the licker jumping through the two way mirror in RE2, the dogs jumping through the windows in RE1, and the zombies punching through the floor of the frozen base in RE CVX. Those are all more memorable to me than anything in SH, Eternal Darkness or Fatal Frame ::nods::.

A great Horror-themed FPS that unfortunately was passed over by many (probably because ot was a game based on a film) was Aliens vs. Predator 2 (released in 2001).

Monolith worked on this puppy, so it's a tight, fast build. The Marine sections are particularly creepy, and make excelent use of the beeping tracker and the human's inability to see very well in the dark. That's the only gane that I can really recall where I had to stop playing after too long when gaming in a dark room with headpones... Hearing the scrabble of claws all around, the hiss of the unseen alien and the flickering, leaping shadows was just too overwhelming.

In a GOOD way, you understand... ;) You can get a copy for like $5-$10 any more, so if you're looking for a good bargain-proced game try it out.