Sleeper games

OMG Mystic Quest was THE game. I still have it somewhere...for some reason no one will buy it.

I remember playing that when it first came out. Just trust me...it was bad.

FFVII: Having played the game, more then once. I can say the materia system was okay, the characters weren't as developed as they could have been. The storyline was crap and really didn't make much sense. I HATED cloud as a character, and felt that everything about him lacked.

Aeris was boring, and Tifa was just boobs, Yuffie annoying, Vicent...I am apathetic about, Barret was okay but lacked the power and versitility to make him a great character, Cid...was creepy, the only playable character that was worth while was Cait Sith, now he kicked ass.

To say I hated it has nothing with it being mainstream. It is just not that great of a game. I hate the fandom that comes with it and how they try to make it was the best of the series and try to use silly logic to make it so. (I have heard all the arguements and trust me it really gets old after awhile).

There are few games in that series that I can say are ones that have replayability. Final Fantasy Tatics, FF VI, FFIV, FFX, FF. I would add VIII to the list but I am going on over all character, storyline, and battle system. I wasn't a big fan of the draw system but I liked the Junction.

I know everyone will argue about X, but I really like the Battle System(loved the Sphere Grid), the storyline was well done, and the characters at least had personalities(Except for Tidus) and had wonderful backstories.

RE: I thought the orginal game was okay. But the controls really turned me off. I really didn't care for them. I felt the ones in Medal of Honor Frontline would have been better for the game as a whole. I am not a big fan of the way it was presented. Parasite Eve was a much better game and had a better over all appearence.

FFIX: I don't know that game just made me lose interest awful fast. I have never got past the 2nd disc. Most FF games, I'll play at least twice just to make sure how I feel about the game. But I have never finished that one.

Wijg: I only play the games that the salesman at EB tells me to buy.... :dopey: :hypnotize

Final Fantasy Tactics is easily my favorite game ever, but it's probably the only FF game on my top 10 (ironic, isn't it?). The FF7 materia system was a pretty in-depth system that had a lot of nice intricacies. The storyline was definitely NOT crap. It was multitiered goodness...the only bad part, I think, was the whole fake past for Cloud thing. FF6, I think, was just so immensely overrated. The characters are just flat out cliches. Locke is the badass with one dark spot in his past which prevents him from loving...Celes who is the standard self-conscious female, aching for affection, but can only get it from...Edgar, the standard improper noble (king in this case) who chases after females who misses his brother...Sabin, the character who is best summarized as the big and dumb one and for a totally unrelated character we jump to...Shadow, the stereotypical silent ninja who joins you for vengeance, who is akward around...Relm the annoying ditzy little girl who causes anyone who cares headaches much to the dismay of her grandpa...Strago, the stereotypical old man, always dropping P-bombs on those darn youngins like...Cyan, the stock family man out to avenge his dead wife and kid. Then there's the abominable snowman, who sucks, and Mog, who kicks as simply because he's a badass moogle.

For me the FF pecking order goes FFT>FF11>FF5>FF8>FF7>FF9>FF1>FF6>FF4>FF2 (the GBA one).

But Mystic Quest was actually put out by Squaresoft to be a backhanded insult against American gamers. They believed that American gamers were so pathetically stupid, they would put out a game that even we, who can't even string together a coherent sentence, could play. And GOD, was it bad.

And BC, the reason that Final Fantasies weren't mainstream, was that RPGs just weren't as popular as they are now. FF3 on SNES was popular, yeah, but just a cult thing at best. But lots of people returned to it after being turned on to the series, just because all the old-school FF veterans said it was the best.

Beth: wait, so are you saying that the story for FFX was better than FFVII? I couldn't stand X's storyline, and Tidus really annoying. The only thing X had going for it was the battle system and the sphere system. I could never bring myself to finishing it.

I think I'm a little bias about VII though because the only other rpgs i was into before that was chrono trigger and shining force 2

Grandia 2 is another one of my alltime favorites. best battle system ever!

Tactics rocks hard. isn't the team from tactics working on FFXII?

Last edited:
I liked FFX a lot from a gameplay perspective but really didn't like anything else about it. The Sphere Grid was cool and the battles were pretty fast paced and whatnot...but i pretty much hated all the characters and didn't really like the storyline or voice actors.\

Tactics was amazing.

I think IX was under-rated as well. I don't think it was great, but it was basically overlooked entirely.

VIII kind of sucked. The junction system was cool and I liked a handful of the characters but the draw system blew and the storyline basically sucked ("oh wow, we all grew up in the same orphanage...I knew that, but didn't say anything" and crap like that) and was it just me or did people just get the No-Enc ability as soon as they could and slap that thing on like half the time?

your right....

spudlyff8fan said:
FF6, I think, was just so immensely overrated. The characters are just flat out cliches. Locke is the badass with one dark spot in his past which prevents him from loving...Celes who is the standard self-conscious female, aching for affection, but can only get it from...Edgar, the standard improper noble (king in this case) who chases after females who misses his brother...Sabin, the character who is best summarized as the big and dumb one and for a totally unrelated character we jump to...Shadow, the stereotypical silent ninja who joins you for vengeance, who is akward around...Relm the annoying ditzy little girl who causes anyone who cares headaches much to the dismay of her grandpa...Strago, the stereotypical old man, always dropping P-bombs on those darn youngins like...Cyan, the stock family man out to avenge his dead wife and kid. Then there's the abominable snowman, who sucks, and Mog, who kicks as simply because he's a badass moogle.

First you got most of the characters wrong and left out a ton of the basic characters.

Terra: (when you talk about Celes I think you are thinking of Terra) is a sad confused girl who is looking for her place. She has the power of Espers and magic and was enslaved by the Empire. She has problems committing and she has no memory of her life before the slave crown was given to her. She is self concious and falls in love with General Leo, who ends up dying.

Locke: Not really a badass more a cocky theif(excuse me, treasure hunter ). He isn't really powerful, but has great side moves. He is torn between the duty he feels for Rachael and the love he is begining to have for Celes.

Celes: Ex General who always looks out for number one is scared to see that despite all the horrible things she has done....she has feelings and those are for a man who is a theif and a rebel? Not self concious at all, actually very self assured. Her Rune blade attack is one I wish was used more often.

Edward: King, who is also a rebel leader, uses his cool castle to smuggle goods. Yes he is a womanizer but his skills is that of a engineer. He hit on Celes and Terra, but he hits on everyone. No where does it EVER have Celes and him together. The big love scenes are between Locke and Celes(ie the opera scene and in the world of ruin where all Celes has is Lockes Bandana)

Sabin: He is what I'd call a devil may care bad ass. The tension between Edward and Sabin is great because one is very dedicated to his cause where the other is lost and unsure of what he wants.

Cyan: A sad man whose family died in his arms. His whole village was poisoned by Kefka. Any warrior for hire has a similar story except he wanted to die. He was out looking for death.

Shadow: Mysterious ninja who joins for his own reasons, and leaves when he feels like it. As his ackwardness around Relm it is because he is her father...*GASP* Which is why his dog and her sorta bond.

Relm: Yes she is annoying but she is a little girl. Her paint ability is actually different and fun.

Strago: P-bomb?(not sure what that is) closest thing you'll get to a mage in the game. While he has weak physical attacks his magical are decent. His realtionship with Relm and the backstory of the villiage is rather important

Gau: I HATE this character but, his jump ability is usefull sometimes. Basically a child who was raised in the wild.

GoGo: A Mime class. More mysterious then Shadow, not sure if they are male or female.

Mog: Yes the combined spear and dances are fun but I don't think I used him much.

Steltzer: One of my favorite characters. His obcession with the air ship, gambling and the opera singer was a great addition and he is a unique character.

The storyline compared to FVII was better thought out, the characters were well developed and had their own stories. Where with VII it was like they threw in new characters but didn't show how they related to each other. The ending to VII was anticlimatic and the "love" story they tried to throw in with Tifa, Aeris and Cloud could have been much better if Cloud had more personality then a wet noodle.

Now it COULD be better once they add the other two AC and DofC. But that is only if they continue to actually explain things, as it stands right now it is a confusing, sappy load of drivel. It it was a book instead of a VG it would have been slammed over and over for it's lack of substance. I may amend after AC and DofC.

For me the FF pecking order goes FFT>FF11>FF5>FF8>FF7>FF9>FF1>FF6>FF4>FF2 (the GBA one).

I am assuming that since you didn't put FF, Tatics Advanced, all the FF for Gameboy, FFX and X-2 in there you didn't play them correct?

But Mystic Quest was actually put out by Squaresoft to be a backhanded insult against American gamers. They believed that American gamers were so pathetically stupid, they would put out a game that even we, who can't even string together a coherent sentence, could play. And GOD, was it bad.

And here I thought it was just a game that wasn't popular. But no! It is a plot by the Japanese Game Manufactors!!! I wonder if there is subliminal messages in the game. I think yes.

And BC, the reason that Final Fantasies weren't mainstream, was that RPGs just weren't as popular as they are now. FF3 on SNES was popular, yeah, but just a cult thing at best. But lots of people returned to it after being turned on to the series, just because all the old-school FF veterans said it was the best.
Actually they were. SNES was the golden age of RPGs. Some of the best RPGs made to date came from that system.
FF (one) broke out the game and the genre for millions. All those albino, smelly D&D players crawled out of basements to get what they had long been playing on.

If you want to get into Top Selling:

FFVII: 2.45 Units out since 1997
FFX: 2.28 Since 2001

I am done...too tired to go on.

spudlyff8fan said:
And BC, the reason that Final Fantasies weren't mainstream, was that RPGs just weren't as popular as they are now. FF3 on SNES was popular, yeah, but just a cult thing at best.

I'm gonna have to diagree with you there. Final Fantasy II was released in 1991 and sold 2.16 million units. Final Fantasy III was released in 1994 and sold 3.43 million copies. Those are huge numbers for those years. Considering industry growth, those sales figures are pretty consistent with subsequent FF releases.

Now now, don't get huffy because I dissed FF6. I neglected Gau, Gogo and all those others because they were generally unimportant...cept Setzer, I just forgot about him...which is surprising because he WAS cool. Celes always seems to be aching for Locke's affection, and Locke seems to kinda like her, but he still has his obligation to his girlfriend in a coma and Locke I just thought was pretty cool...and Terra? She just sucks. You misread me, intentionally or unintentionally, because I've played through most of it, and I do know the game well.

As for the FFs I forgot, I accidentally deleted FFX while rearranging my order (it would go between FF1 and FF6), and left out FFTA, the FF Legends, FFMQ, Ergheiz, Crystal Chronicles, Kingdom Hearts, Chocobo Racing, Chocobo Dungeon 1/2 and FFX2, because they aren't really part of the main FF series (FFT I left in just because, like I said, it's my favorite). Mystic Quest actually was produced as something so simplistic that the inferior American gamers could comprehend it, whether you believe me or not.

And while SNES did put out some quality RPGs, particularly FFs, neither the series, nor the genre as a whole, was as popular as it is today. Games like Sonic, Zelda and Mario were the real series-to-beat, not like it is now. FF1 was popular, but not really THAT popular, especially considering games like Mario Bros sold 22 million. The main thing was that FF7 turned on many people who were originally too young to play the Final Fantasies, people about 16-19 now, which greatly expanded the audience. Also, the innovation it offered made many people who weren't interested in it previously give it a second look. People who were too young to read in the days of Breath of Fire and FF3 had the oppurtunity to know what the hell they were doing, and people who just didn't care checked it out. Before that, the Final Fantasy series just wasn't that big, whether it was good or not.

spudlyff8fan said:
Mystic Quest actually was produced as something so simplistic that the inferior American gamers could comprehend it, whether you believe me or not.

Not that my word is any more valuable, but I'm prettyy sure this is true. I don't think it was necessarily done as an insult, they just honestly believed that the American market wasn't as savvy as the Japanese one and thus put out a dumbed down version of the game. I don't have any examples, but I'm pretty sure that has happened for generations of consoles as well. At least that is what any friends that play a lot of imports and then play the American version say *shrugs*

spudlyff8fan said:
FF1 was popular, but not really THAT popular, especially considering games like Mario Bros sold 22 million. .

Come on, you're comparing the games to one of the most popular NES games? Look at it like this. Gran Turismo sold 3 and a quarter million units. So you're saying that Gran Turismo wasn't really THAT popular. Tekken 3 sold 2.7 million. Not THAT popular. Resident Evil 2 had under 3 million units sold.

Keep in mind that these are all at a time when gaming was more popular than during the SNES days. I think the numbers speak for themselves, regardless of a few outlying exceptions. No, the SNES Final Fantasy games weren't as popular as Super Mario 3. But if that's your measuring stick, then 99% of all games are sleepers!

Actually Mario Brothers sold 40 million units. It's in the Guiness(sp?) Book of World Records.

How could you not add Terra? she was the main character.... And FFX-2 not part of the FF series. It is a direct squel. FF11 definatly shouldn't be in there if that is the way you are going.

I wasn't getting huffy I was just correcting you on some of the key points of the game which you were incorrect about in your post.

And you must remember back then. Gaming was for the young. Not for us old timers. My boyfriend thinks I am too old to play VG. It was the mentality games = children. It wasn't until Playstation came out did older gamers come into play and they made "adult" games.

BC: Where did you find the 3.43 unit thing on FFVI if it is correct then it HAS outsold VII. My figure was as of 2004.

Ronan: I agree with you. I don't think it was intentional I think it was more for a younger audience. I am not sure if Spuddly is saying the Japanese were TRYING to insult us or put down American Gamers.

Spuddly: Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I love to argue. So it is more just for the point of discussion then I am going to come after you and your first born puppies. It is nice to have someone who can put coherent sentences together to make a thought process. So i enjoy debating with you. :goodvibes

Beth said:
It is nice to have someone who can put coherent sentences together to make a thought process.

I will gladly provide the foil for this role.

FFVI GOOD. FFVII, NOT PLAYED. NO PS OR PS2. FFTA...ehhhh.

I really like how this topic is called "Sleeper Games" and it just went to a debate on final fantasy. Also final fantasy is like everything else, some people live for it, some people despise it, People love star trek, some people love star wars. I think the best example would be the goth kids from south park "final fantasy, only conformists play that" No matter what you think of the series, one thing is undeniable, these have all been quality games, not one, and I'm talking the regular series not the gba or anything else, have been bad games. No matter what you think of the series one thing is certain, in the U.S anyways, Final Fantasy is the ruler by which rpg's are measured.