Sleeper games

FPS is starting to become the big thing for horror games. Condemned: Criminal Origins looks like it may be one of the best launch games for the Xbox 360. Metroid Prime had a lot of survival horror elements at times...

but I like 3rd person better.

I always feel more in control in FPS games. Besides, when you jump and the mouse twitchesand you flail all over the place, getting slammed by some slavering, fanged horror that's RIGHT IN YOUR FACE... well, that's just a more visceral experience IMHO. ;)

I would have to say that the first time a metroid slammed on my face in Prime was a very visceral experience. Also, it is always intense to not notice the blip on your radar right beside you and to turn right into it. I have jumped several times doing that.

RE2 scared the crap outta me because of they're set up 'scare scenes', like the licker jumping through the mirror. I think I soiled myself when that happened. Or like in RE3, when you discover that the nemesis can follow you from room to room. I think RE4 was a different kinda scary, like the fear of hearing a chainsaw and not knowing which direction the sound is coming from. I think frantic is the word I'm looking for.

ImagoX said:
Descent: Freespace. Great game with awesome story and missions. The follow-up wasn't nearly as good but it was still not half bad..

Aquanox was great too, and nobody knew about it, as was the original System Shock (app relatively unknown, all PC)..

sweet. descent was made by a company in good old illinois which is now known as Volition.

another game that didnt get enough credit was Thief. many of the people from that team helped out with Deus Ex, which was also awesome (and as far as i know, also not that big ? ?)

Advent Rising didn't get any respect when it came out. Most of it was do to the control/frame rate problems (it had more of it's fair share of each). But I've heard people say the story wasn't very good either, and that gripe could not be more false. AR had a superb story that kept me wanting to play until I beat it. I understand if people stayed away because of the control issues, but when it falls into the bargain bins I hope more people give Advent Rising a chance.

Orson Scott Card. An interesting storyteller. The Ender quartet was good. Bizarre, but good. I shall have to read some of his other work.

anyone one every play the Adventures of Cookies and Creme on PS2? co-op genius. Metal Arms Glitch in the System was also a sleeper hit.

I found the atmosphere of RE was nothing compared to the one that was created in FF. I felt compared to other survival horrors, RE was boring and not all that inventive. SH and FF did so much more creating an atmosphere and a tension that was felt throughout all their games. You really were brought into the mansion in FF, looking through the camera and THINKING you saw something move, or see a pail fall over. No soundtrack just the sounds of the mansion or the forest.

I am excited because Fatal Frame II just dropped in price(19.99 baybee) AND Fatal Frame III is coming out with a return of Miku. All of the games are intertwined with characters now.

spudlyff8fan: I would agree with you on some levels about Final Fantasy VII, But I don't think that it was the one to break out FF as a fandom. FFII(VI in Japan) and III(VI) Did that quiet well on their own. VII was just a "fad" because the characters were no longer 16 bit, they were three d almost! Similar to what FFX did to the series. Just reinvented the series for new fans.

Wow it seems like you really dislike RE. The atmosphere in RE1 was very intense, IMO. But since then the RE franchise has turned more towards action than frights. BUt I think the Silent Hill franchise is one of the scariest/freakiest ever made.

Final Fantasy VII wasn't just a fad. It is the game that turned most FF fans onto the game. The older FFs weren't all that popular, though, pretty much just a cult favorite. Though, the biggest draw of FF7 for most gamers was the graphics.

There could be (and have been) millions of words written about why FF7 was so popular.

My take on it is that it was one of the first games to truly showcase what the (then) new generation of games could look like. Prior to that game, many 3D games were still very primitive, and cutscenes were practically unheard of -- and if they did exist, they were usually 2D, drawn graphics. FF7 really blew people away.

The other side of the coin is the marketing effort behind the game. It was really shoved down everyone's throats in the months leading up to its release. That has a lot of do with whether or not a game sells, regardless of quality -- as anyone can see if they look at some of the top sellers recently (Fantastic 4 was #5 for July).

Personally, I hated the game, but saying that is enough to get a horde of angry villagers busting down my door.

As for the previous FF games, they were massive successes. The reason the series is called Final Fantasy is because Square was dying when they made the first game; if it wasn't a huge hit, they wouldn't be around today.

They were massive successes in Japan. They weren't the freakish juggernaut they are now in America before FF7, and not even close.

I remember IV and VI being VERY popular. Actually VI is one of the top games in the series. It has the best characters, storyline and the coolest villian.

BCampbell: I hated VII a lot, still do. I think the only thing that that game had going for it was Sephiroth and I REALLY hate him as a character. *starts gouging out his eyes because of annoyance he brings*

I stand by the fact that FFVII was popular mostly do to its graphic design and it being the first on a new system. I know I bought the PS simply for FFVII. If I had to say what the best FF ever was...it would be VI and many would agree with me. I still have my NES and SNES just to play the orginial FF games on it.

And Spuddly's age has a lot to do with it. He was born in 86 so FFIII(VI in Japan) came out in what 94. I remember it well being really into RPG's at that time, and being 14. So I doubt he can remember all that was big at the time.

I remember being hyped up about Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Now THAT is a sleeper game. *LMAO*

Maverick: the only thing i hate more the RE is FFVII

:waterbott <---doesn't that look like a condom.

Last edited:
Don't even talk about Mystic Quest in my presence. I beg you.

I like both FFVII and the RE series. I don't think FFVII is the best in the series but I don't think there is any reason to hate it, aside from being an elitest who says they hate anything that is mainstream. You can not like it as much but to say you hate it is a bit strong. I'm not a big fan of the beat 'em up genre...but I don't hate those games.

Anyways. I haven't read all of this thread but as far as sleeper hits go I think Legend of Legaia for PS1 came out of nowhere and was pretty cool. Don't remember the sequel to much, though.

I ONLY PLAY MAINSTREAM GAMES. I BUY WHATEVER GAMES MTV TELLS ME TO. OR WHICH GAMES WIN AT AWARD SHOWS LIKE THE HIGHLY RESPECTABLE SPIKE TV GAME AWARDS AND GPHORIA. OR IF THEY HAVE HOT CHICKS IN THEM.

Personally, I hated the game, but saying that is enough to get a horde of angry villagers busting down my door.

*lights torch*

FF7 was a big thing for me when it first came out, i was like, "wow it's like, 3d chrono trigger!!!". I think a lot of the appeal for FF7 came from the memorible characters and they're cinematic approach to storytelling. I really got attatched to the characters and not so much the whole 'search for sephiroth to find out cloud wasn't a badass like he thought he was' thing.

I think FF9 is pretty underrated...i don't remember mystic quest...