Metroid Story

most anime is done on computers now. During the later 90's there was (still is) a depression in Japan, causing them to cut corners everywhere they could. Everything was very quickly pushed over to computer animation. (The cells that they used cost a ton of money. Not only that, but they need to be hand drawn, meaning that every time someone messes up they have to be thrown out.)

What you ended up getting was a couple of anime that felt they needed computer graphics every five seconds, and for every single effect that was done. Things have changed, though. Almost everything is animated on computers, but you really can't tell. Take a look at the Simpsons. They have been done on computers for years, and yet they went through great lengths to make sure that you can't tell. WIth a couple of filters you can make everything look a little washed out, like it was painted by hand. Not only that but some times you will see people throw in small errors or old animation techs to throw you off.

So, why not animation on computers?

yeah, the simpsons may be digital now, but it's still traditional 2d animation. They still have to draw it on paper first before they put it into the computer.

To tell you the truth, making a movie as detailed as FF:SW would be really expensive. That's the reason we haven't seen any other feature length cg with that level of detail. doing live action might be a safer investment. You don't want to end up like square's movie studio.

Last edited:
The expense will be the difficult part. Hopefully, by the time movies of the books are ready to be made, the books will hopefully be so huge that I will be able to demand that it is made in animated form.

GhostToast said:
i suppose the response "what movie studio?" pretty much answers its own question...

I think it was called 'square pictures' or something, i can't remember, they used to have a website. but the studio was created to produce FF:SW and then later that one thing for the animatrix. but they lost so much money with FF:SW that they just shut down the studio entirely

the only thing i liked about spirits within was the opening scene in times square, besides that, the movie blew. the only thing that was final fantasty about it was that there was a character named sid. the art book is pretty cool to look at though

now advent children, that's a different story

yeah I wasn't a big fan of FF:TSW...it wasn't the worst movie ever but I had some pretty lofty expectations for that movie and it was just sort of average IMO. Amazing what they did visually (there was a few times I forgot it was CG) but from a plot perspective it was a bit of a let down.

daiconv said:
yeah, the simpsons may be digital now, but it's still traditional 2d animation. They still have to draw it on paper first before they put it into the computer.

To tell you the truth, making a movie as detailed as FF:SW would be really expensive. That's the reason we haven't seen any other feature length cg with that level of detail. doing live action might be a safer investment. You don't want to end up like square's movie studio.

They don't draw it on pen and paper. They draw it right into the computer. There are several ways that you can do this, from special mice, to special tablet kind of things.

Also, that was Square Hawaii that did the movie. If you are wondering why they closed, it was because they spent 100 million on the lead characters hair. It isn't like they spent that much on it, it was just kick backs and just plan stealing.

Maverick said:
I'm sure I've seen some anime DVDs with a special feature option showing the artists doing cells, animation etc.

That depends if the anime is from before the crash (1999 or so) or after it. some are still done on it because people are purests, but almost everyone has made the move over.