Kurruptions Gaming Roundtable Discussions

Ok, I preordered Lost Odyssey over 5 months ago, the game is scheduled to be released tomorrow. Sites like gamespy have given either a high score or a midrange 3 out of 5 score. Xplay itself gave it that score. Now the main complaint is that the game is way too traditional RPGish and doesnt really innovate. Your thoughts and comments.

The notion of innovation as a necessity to a game being great is flawed down to its roots. Sure, we've seen great games do things totally out-of-the-box, a la Mario 64, Resident Evil 4, and Pokemon...but really, you look at series like Suikoden, Silent Hill, and Call of Duty, which either don't innovate at all or just add one aspect to an already-proven method.

Then you look at other games like Brain Age, Ultimate Spider-Man and Gun Valkyrie which are truly unique games, but just plain suck, and you have to wonder why "innovation" is even really considered a must in determining the quality of a game.

Skies of Arcadia was a generally non-innovative RPG. Gears of War was RE4...but with bigger guns and a 4v4 online setup that is SOOOOOOOOOO 2001. New Super Mario Bros. Metal Gear Solid 2. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Devil May Cry. Forza Motorsport. Bioshock. Half Life 2.

How many of these games were innovative? How many were great?

Bam. I win.

Blue Dragon did nothing new and I loved the game start to finish. If that is the same thing that they are complaining about on Lost Odyssey they shouldn't really be giving it that kind of score. Xplay gives everything a 3 out of 5.

While we are talking about innovation, Final Fantasy doesn't do that either. I haven't played any of the last several games they have put out and thought "this is totally different than anything else that I have ever played." So this kind of sounds like people are finally seeing what FF is without the title that they grew up on. A J-RPG. Personally I love those.

Ok I put on a couple of hours into lost odyssey already, battle system is one part final fantasy one part shadow hearts one part dragon quest. Not bad, the intro movie is up there with FF 8, but those dream sequences, my god some of the best text ever in a game!

My god, nobody has played this yet?

OK new week.....blah blah blah!

Which games do you think need a sequel?

I've been dying for Capcom to renew the old Saturday Night Slammasters series.

Picked up Lost Odyssy the other day, got to the first save point and remembered that I still needed to finish Eternal Sonata and Mass Effect.

There were so many sequels back in the day that were annouced and then canned I don't even know where to start on this one. I am going to say, in light of previous conversations, Xenogears.

Have any of you ever played The Legend of Dragoon for PS1? I honestly thought it was better than any of the FF games. There was supposed to be a sequel, but it never came.

Now that I think about it, I should break out the ol' PS1 and play that game again...

" One mans trash is another man's $9.99 copy of The Bouncer"

So how do you go about buying your games? Do you stick to buying used, buy new the day they arrive or pre-order and pay as you go?

I do buy used, but only stuff I've missed out on or something that is recommended but not a big deal for me to get "Armored Core, Dual Hearts, Samurai Western" I used to pick up new games and pay the lump sum for them, but this year I've started investing about $20 to pre-orders, it worked when picking up lost odyssey and thus I have started doing this for FF:Crisis Core, GTA 4, and Ninja Gaiden 2. I'll probably still pay the total amount on some stuff that slips through the cracks, *Atlus and NIS i'm looking at you!*

I work in the local game store so I kind of know when things are coming in and what I can pick up on the cheap and what things are really worth, namely if there was some Atlus game that I missed because I was in college or just getting out and could not come up with the money for it if I had wanted to.

I guess I recommend that my friends who think that they are going to enjoy playing obscure games get a gamefly account, mainly because buying used is a super easy way to lose your shirt if you think you know what you are looking for. There was a very brief time that Disgaea 1 was worth well over 100 dollars (even at Gamestop that would give you 80 dollars trade in credit for it), and that has since changed because of some company, whos name escapes me at the moment, going around and reordering a bunch of games (50k of each title at the time) to see if there was money to be made in be a re-distrubutor.

They made a bunch of money, but mainly just dropped the collecting price on Disgaea, Trama Center for the DS, and the first Pheonix Wright game.