Kurruptions Gaming Roundtable Discussions

No, really. We know what we're talking about. Sony barred SNK from putting out games on the PS2. This isn't up for debate, man. And I'll remind you that the last GG fighting game on the PS2 was XX. Since then, XX #Reload was released on the Xbox, XX Slash ended up not coming to America, and Accent Core was just released.

This isn't up for debate. Sony banned SNK and other fighting game companies from putting out fighting games for the PS2.

First off, Sony did not bar the SNK games. YOu can go to amazon to prove that to yourself if you need to.

Second, do you have proof on this? Or am I just supposed to take it as face value?

True, the only standalone King of Fighters game released on the ps2 was Maximum Impact, the 3d bastard child of the king of fighters series. This whole 2d deal was even bigger when the psx came out. It pretty much died down when the ps2 took over, but was still prevalent among the hardcore fighting game fans.

KOF 2006 was Maximum Impact 2. KOF 2006 is actually a pretty good fighting game, though.

XI was standalone because, like I said, Sony is allowing it now because they want to extend the PS2's lifespan.

New Topic: "The Lone Gunman Strikes Again"

Ok what are your opinions on the 1st person shooter becoming the go to genre?

I do occassionally dabble in the 1st person shooters but they of course are not my genre of choice *If you don't know what is my favorite genre by now you should be ashamed of yourself* Anyways they seem to be getting pretty formulaic by now. Also for every Bioshock, we get a ton of Timeshifts. I do enjoy the ones that change the formula every now and then, Bioshock, Chronicles of Riddick, and Breakdown. If Haze and Timeshift are a glimpse of things to come, it seems that we are outta the the whole World War II shooting spree and are going more sci-fi. Which also means that most of the new 1st person shooters that are coming up will have their own gimmick.

The first person shooter genre has always been flooded with crap since the day it came out. Look at the ealy days before you had clones of this and that running around you had terrible mods being released from the companies that made the games. Doom, (or Doom 2 I forget which) came with a in game engine that you could make new levels. After about a year Id took all the levels that people had sent them and put them on a disk and released them as "extra" levels.

FPS has always been flooded with junk as Americans seems to think that it is the only thing that is worth their time.

I believe the entire WWII thing has to do with Americans latching on to old wars and thinking they were more noble than they were. Before WWII we had the Civil War. That crap was everywhere. Silent movies were based on it, all romances had a southern girl falling for a northern officer, everything was about the Civil War. It is just this generations war to get annoyed with people caring too much about.

Ouch. WWII, what you have to remember, pulled the entire country behind it. Between the draft, rationing and the industrial conversion, everyone worked like hell to help the war. The only other war similar to that was the Civil War. The War of 1812 isn't as interesting, and the Revolutionary War didn't have half of America behind it.

The reason WWII is the prime candidate for the FPS (and, let's face it, RTS) genre(s) is because it's source material everyone knows of, can relate to, and actually is interesting. The Civil War, IMO, would be an awesome thing to make a game about. I actually think that the whole "shoot once and spend 90 seconds reloding" would be really neat. Seriously, giant musket on the back, pistol on the side, sabre on the other side. I think that'd be badass.

Oh, and WWII was a noble endeavor.

well that went nowhere!

New Topic: "To Infinity and Beyond!"

What are you looking forward to in the year 08, gamingwise of course, and what announcements are you wanting to hear!

Well lets see First Quarter I'm gonna play Lost Odyssey while people will play Metal Gear and GTA, Second Quarter I think Ninja Gaiden II will occupy my time, and in the fall It looks like Last Remnant and Final Fantasy XIII will do the trick.

Announcement wise I'm looking forward to a new Suikoden, see if they get it right again, and I pray Street Fighter IV does the series justice.

I think Metal Gear and GTA go without saying. I have heard bad things about Lost Odyssey which isn't promising. Ninja Gaiden 2 will be awesome.

I am looking forward to Square bringing out the new Star Ocean PSP games. I know that the 4th one has been announced but I doubt that we will see that this year. DIsgaea 3 has been pretty much confirmed to be coming out in the fall by Nippon Ichi, so that is what I will be playing while I finish the year.

Resident Evil 5? Street Fighter 4? I keep having this sinking feeling that those might not see release this year. Just a feeling.

Suikoden has to be amazing this time to keep me interested. I have a feeling it is going the same direction that Wild Arms and Breath of Fire went.

Yeah, I'm starting to worry about Lost Odyssey.

SF4 is obviously the big one for me, along with Super SF2 Turbo HD Remix.

RE5 isn't out 'til 2009, though. Regrettably.

The demo for Lost Odyssey that was shown (at TGS I believe), was pretty good, but I have no idea how the game will turn out. I'm very excited for DMC4 though.

awww yes, nearly forgot about DMC 4, I'll need to squeeze time for that one! and hey! what's wrong with Breath of Fire?! That damn series had some sweet games, and they kept on getting better, Breath of Fire IV is a fantastic game, with a sweet magic system and a hell of a story! Sure they dropped the ball with dragon quarter, but it wasn't as bad as going from Suikoden III to Suikoden IV!

No defense of Wild Arms? Really? You came to the aid of Breath of Fire first? I mean, I beat most of them, even Dragon Quater, and I can't even explain to you as why I did that.

I don't even know what is up with Suikoden. It is like they are trying to experiement with everything in the game besides the combat system. I just don't know how much longer I can show my support for them.

Wild Arms isn't for everybody, the first three were pretty good, not excellent, then 4 and alter code came out, I still haven't played 5 though. I really preferred the Breath of Fire series over Wild Arms. Breath of FIre to me retained the classic style of games like Dragon Quest, while still implementing with new things, yet they didn't stray too far. Thus holding a great balance, such as the character fusions from 2, the apprenticeships in 3, and the sweet combo magic in 4, also the story in 4 was so good, the fate of Nina's sister alone is one of my favorite moments in gaming.

First of I just wanna say that I never imagined that a topic in the general discussions could ever come close to reaching the number of posts of a off topic discussion, well it looks like kurruption proved kurruption wrong! New Week, New Topic.

Topic title: "Like sex for the first time"

Ok what were you really looking forward for in 07 and when you actually got it ......well it wasn't as good as you anticipated it.

Ok, well lets see, I made the decision to not pick up a 360 until Blue Dragon came out, I was highly anticipating the first release from Mistwalker studios. Well I picked up a 360 elite and I had enough money left over for two games, now first thing is first, my younger brother and I have a habit of owning every wrestling game out, good thing when we are playing fire pro, not so good when we were playing legends of wrestling, so SVR 07 was the first pick. Second pick was going to be Blue Dragon, yet I bought Bioshock on impulse and boy am I glad I did that. Two weeks later and a new paycheck in and I pick up Blue Dragon, well the best way I've come to describe this is like sex with Halle Berry or Eva Mendez *who kurruption has the hots for fyi* and they only know the missionary position. Good, but it could of been so much better! Oh well, now to wait for Lost Odyssey.

One comment on Breath of Fire: I just felt like the series always had this habit of pulling out the giant book of "things not to do in a video game" and would just happily draw ideas from it. The dungeons were overly complicated for an RPG and the over world always felt like a 10 year old designed it.

I liked Blue Dragon. I didn't think it lived up to the hype, but then again nothing really can when you claim you have the better part of the team that brought together Chrono Trigger.

A ton of games that I was disappointed for were, Virtua Fighter on the PS3 without online play, Beautiful Katamari for just being the right to download four dollar levels off of XBox live that are already on the disc, Armored Core 4 because all of the gaming press basically said that "they did Chrome Hounds, that has to be the online play" instead of just coming to terms with the fact that Chrome Hounds is Chrome Hounds and AC is another product, Lost Planet with 0 need for explaining, and Eternal Sonata.

Eternal Sonata wins because all I wanted from that game was a fun RPG that I could go around and explore and have a great time. The battle system was fun and interesting, from the demo, which I still do enjoy. I like the art work, and the voice acting is pretty ok. I just hate the fact that the way the game plays is basically cutscene, walk five feet to next cutscene, cutscene, possible flashback of everything up to this cutscene. hour to two hours of explorations/dungeon going, repeat.

I didn't HATE the entire process until the flashbacks started. I think I am about halfway through the game (played a little more after) and they will flash back to the scene DIRECTLY BEFORE THE FLASHBACK STARTED. This was something that happened 2 minutes ago. I am not that guy from momento, I don't need you to do this for me. I get it.

Madden 2008. I never expect a particularly huge difference between Madden games, but this is the EXACT SAME GAME, it's just that some of the moves are mapped to LB.