FINAL FNTASY SuCKS!

FF3/6 on the SNES was my first, followed up years later by FF8...then FF9...then FF7...then FFT. Though FF7 is not my favorite, it is certainly the most important RPG to date (except for maybe Zelda 1, if you consider it an RPG).

You're a good man. I'll dissect my undying love for Tactics soon in a column or blog. I'd love to chat with you about it sometime.. Haven't played it in a good 3 years unfortunately.

My first Japanese-style RPG was Dragon Warrior 1 or Final Fantasy 1--can't remember which came first, probably DW. Played just about all the SNES RPGs before I ever touched a Playstation. I still like FFVII the best of all. It had the task of toppling FF3/6 in my book, and that it did.

People I know around my age (20-21-22-23) grew up mainly on the NES and SNES/Genesis. I started with the Atari 2600. There is high respect for FFVII still. Coming from the GameFAQs system, I know everyone there was basically obsessed with it. It remained the number 1 FAQ page for years, and these guys I knew were a special breed of hardcore gamer. Yes, it was popular. Does it make it good? Not popularity, but what defines good?

"My first Japanese-style RPG was Dragon Warrior 1 or Final Fantasy 1"

How funny... I played Dragon Warrior on NES with my best friend. I had to be about 8 or something. I forgot that that was my true first RPG. Those dungeons ruled. But then I retired from RPG's until 7 came out...

Yeah, to be honest, I don't know why this is being debated. Is FF7 a perfect game? No. Did it have inherent flaws (some laughable looking in retrospect)? I guess. But you cannot deny it's impact it had on the entire video game industry. As a 24 year old gamer, it is definitely on my top 5 most influential games of all time list. I loved it. I guess I'm "ghey".

The first I played was VI (or III, depending) the first I owned was VIII, and now I'm playing through X. I'll be buying XII when it's released.

I think the reason I think these games are good is because the story is often rich (though not always), affording a lengthy play without boredom, and as was mentioned, the graphics are always cutting edge.

I am disappointed that more of them are coming out specifically for online play. I want it at home on my console. Period. I don't want to get internet and XBL.

XII isn't online, is it? If so, strike my plans of buying it. Unless the game is only $79CDN and comes with a lifelong subscription to an account.

I abhor the idea of paying $130 for the software and then $20/mo. just to play it. That's robbery.

From what I've just read, it will be a normal offline RPG, but the designers have implemented elements of gameplay typically found in MMORPGs that they feel represent the best of the MMORPG experience. This is mostly the realtime strategy based battle system (all battles occur in the normal gameplay screen, not in the traditional battle screen).

s0Lid_SnypeR said:
people who like fanal fantasy are ghey. period.

Erm...what about people who like some Final Fantasy games but not others? I judge each FF game individually, by its own merits, and don't really consider the rest of the series in my analysis.

For one thing, I happened to love FF7, but that doesn't mean I love every single game in the series. I, for one, think FF8 sucked. I'm also of the opinion that in order for the series to survive, serious changes will have to be made.

Which is why I'm so excited for FF12. With the new, significant changes to the battle system, and the change in locale to Ivalice (the site of one of my other all time faves, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance), I have faith in this iteration (as opposed to the FF fanboys who decry these changes) to truly kick some ass and breathe life back into the FF series like a defibrilator shock to the heart.

Now if only I had a PS2...

Square-Enix definitely is getting more into online gaming, though. FFXI aside, Dirge of Cerberus will include an online mode, and I wouldn't be surprised if FF3 on the DS or Crisis Core on the PSP ends up having a wifi thing.

One day I shall have to play all the FF games. I have only played 1, 4, and most of 6. I also find it interesting that everyone loves Tactics. How similar is Tactics to Tactics Advance? I played Tactics Advance for a while and just lost interest. I've picked it up a few times again, but I am not excited about it as I am with some games (METROID WHOOOOOO). I guess I shall have to finish it one day. Maybe then I can truly judge.

Hesitant about X-2 BC? Three smoking hot video game chicks? Sounds like a good time to me. But then again, I am loser.

a female friend of mine loves x2. I think the whole changing outfits thing is weird, but the graphics were cool. I really liked X, but I still didn't like2 enough to attempt it.

I played it. It had it's moments. But it was so. Damn. Goofy.

I took Kingdom Hearts as a more serious game. But since it is a good game at its core, it's worth picking up for a rainy day or something.