FINAL FNTASY SuCKS!

s0Lid_SnypeR

Registered
Jan 25, 2006
yea right
www.ign.com
i just got done playing final fantasy 7 cuz all my freind always say it so good but i dont even see wut the whole point is. the graphics are so old now. and the storyline was weak. i hope the new final fantasy games are better.

I wont play if the suits end up being that hard to control though. And I wont play if you can die of fall damage. That would just about ruin my day.

Alright, I have to intervene in this madness. If you judge a game of the past by the obsolescence of its surface graphics or sound or whatever, what kind of gamer are you? As far as story, since when has an RPG had a expertly crafted story? In retrospect, all stories were fairly derivative, formulaic and simple; RPGs still remain notorious for their stubborn conventions. FFVII is one of our best showings, however. It's not perfect, but it was effective, at least at the time. If you weren't there when it was happening, of course that makes your view of the game different coming at it in this day and time. Since then, other games have borrowed or whored the themes or subject matter like no other (beyond what Square had already done plus other RPGs). If your exposure has been to more recent games, then you're going to look at FFVII and disregard it unless you come at it with the right mindset.

As a sidenote, I'm curious about the gamer who, after having been exposed to the whole "OMG AERIS DIES" aspect of internet gaming culture, can actually experience that sequence without cynicism or with a genuine regard (or if anyone remains uncorrupted that experienced it beforehand).

dude. i m juss sayin that it is not that good have a game, cuz like everyone and their brother thinks its cool doesnt mean it is. take grand theft auto for example. so many people said the game is not good but it totally rules. i like being able to do my own thing, and in FFX*@!)(* it was like "do this" "do that".

and ya it totaly SUCKED that aeris died. i actually did not expect it to happen, 2 B honest i thought she could be brought back to life till i lookt it up online.

Yeah, I figured you were, BC, but that was more directed to the originating post.

I can understand if it didn't work for you. A game, a movie, basically anything in this world exists subjectively, because those things are defined heavily by what you bring to them in terms of experience, ideals, disposition and so on. So many factors. There was something beyond words that was happening as I played through that game the first time. It was everything that defined me that I brought to it at the right time, and it became probably the best gaming experience in my life. It's hard to argue objectively why a game sucks or rocks, or anything for that matter.

i know how you feel. it all comes together and means a lot to you. but i think childhood played more of a part in that too, for some of these memories we hold so dear. a lot of those feelings are being experienced for the first times...we havent been jaded by reality to the point where things seemed sappy or anything.

the_roach said:
As far as story, since when has an RPG had a expertly crafted story?

Um... Planescape: Torment had a great storyline. Neverwinter Nights kept me engrossed for quite a while as well. And KoToR was pretty engrossing too. Did they follow a "forumla"? Well, yeah, sure, but that's a different point from commenting on how well CRAFTED it is. By their very nature, "hero" stories all tend to follow similar arcs- it's almost hard-wired into the human brain to react to a certain kind of story (hero begins their journey as small-fry, hero endures ever-growing hardship, hero is faced with a turning-point where things get so awful that giving up is a real temptation, hero overcomes adversity and wins the struggle)- we've had tales like this since human beings started telling stories in the first place. Not all are well done, however- most are cliche'-laden pieces of shlock, which I think is what you meant to say, and in that respect I agree with you. Even a master of the hero-story like Orson Scott Card (for example) wasn;t able to rise above the hokey "prophesied hero" storyline we've seen a zillion times in Advent Rising, for example...

But back to FInal Fantasy... personally I've never seen the appeal. The conventions of the Japanese RPG (which, it can be argued are even MORE calcified and cliched than Western fiction's) are so blatent in the entire series that it leaves me yawning- I know what's going to happen within the first hour it seems like.