Competitive Gaming... a sport?

sdman135 said:
Thanks Darth_Jonas , it took me awhile to make i greatly appreciate it. Spiderman Kicks Anal Cheeks!!! :spiderman

You GODDAMN RIGHT HE DOES...... NO ONE IS BETTER

I would agree that we could call it a digital sport ther eis a lot of compatition in the games take a lot of TEAM work ,and practice.Anywho I know it will happen in the future .Getting paid to play is coming get ready for it .

Calling competitive video gaming a sport is pretty absurd. The same way poker, darts, horseshoes and other hobbies and recreational activities shouldn't be considered true sports. As someone who ran track and played baseball during my high school years, I never equated coming home and unwinding with video games on the same level as sports. It just seems preposterous how poker is being shown in ESPN these days. It must be some sort of conspiracy to encourage gambling, which makes absolutely no sense. If video gaming ever becomes televised as a sport, then somebody is messing up... or all of society is messing up. Somewhere along the line, things got messed up.

Well part of the definition is An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively. or An active pastime; recreation.

So would not some of this apply to video games? Is it not a passtime? There are a set of rules and customs. The thing is so much can be called a sport now. So that line between what is and what is not is very thin. There are so many things being called a sport. Truth is a sport is a game, passtime, and it's to be fun, enjoyment. I dont think racing is a sport but some do. Fishing is not a sport but some say it is. Sky diving to me is just something fun to do. But thats extream sports. SO WHAT IS AND WHATS NOT A SPORT IS UP TO WHAT YOU ENJOY.

PrinceLUDA21 said:
You cursed me with what you said. Some lady attacked me today for no reason what so ever.

lol... i'm sorry. I should've warned you I was very advanced in my hex-casting skills. She didn't give you a shiner or anything did she??...

I still don't know about this "digital sports" thing. I still think games are far from the actually "sport" genre, and don't deserve their own little subcatagory. (don't get me wrong, I do love games). Maybe once Nintendo's new system with that crazy controller comes out games will become more sportlike and active... Imagine the possiblities ^_^ I'm looking forward to any swordfighting aspects that controller may bring to the table.

PlayStation's Eye Toy could pass as some sort of physical activity, maybe a sport, but probably not. I'd have to agree that DDR is the closest thing to sports video game's have right now.

Meggo the Eggo said:
lol... i'm sorry. I should've warned you I was very advanced in my hex-casting skills. She didn't give you a shiner or anything did she??...

No she did not. She just took a swing at me. But I almost fell and I was trying to talk to this cute girl. My Luck that day was just bad. So no more spells.

SeanXor said:
Video games are not becoming a sport, a sport by it's definition requires physical acitivity. You are right though that Halo 2 and Super Smash Bros. Melee will have broadcasted games on the USA network. I don't have cable, but if it was done well I would watch a Halo 2 tournament. Though, this is not something new, in South Korea Starcraft tournaments are huge ratings grabbers.

So what days and times do the game tournaments come on on the USA network?