Competitive Gaming... a sport?

Seriously video games are not a sport. They can be a competitive game, but a sport is played by athletes. People who can pop off head shots in Counter Strike are not athletes! Look Sport up in the dictionary, the definition specifies physical activity. I guess ultimantly it is a manner of symantics, but as much as I love playing video games it is not right to real athletes, who train hard, to call games a sport.

SeanXor said:
Seriously video games are not a sport. They can be a competitive game, but a sport is played by athletes. People who can pop off head shots in Counter Strike are not athletes! Look Sport up in the dictionary, the definition specifies physical activity. I guess ultimantly it is a manner of symantics, but as much as I love playing video games it is not right to real athletes, who train hard, to call games a sport.

But again ppl consider racing a sport. they just dont sit still all day. And if you put time in to parctice in a game to compete in a tourny. Then is that a Sport. Figure skateing is a sport to some an not to me. No matter what the definition is its sport. Like Hunting is sport, or fishing. Its a skill that you have and yous for and activity. ...........

Wait i'm confusing myself I should stop thinking now

PrinceLUDA21 said:
HAHA I call it a sport. I you caount all the girls yuo been with or times you can do it it a week. It's a Sport. And a Work out.

Quite simply, I will hunt you down and kill you. Your days are numbered. It's for the sake of womankind ^_~
_____

I agree with the general concensus that games are not a sport. Good job on digging up that list on wikipedia, tigaer. I wouldn't have thought of that. And it's pretty interesting. Zorbing? Skijoring? ^_^ Funny words never cease to amuse me.

Well i can see the ppl who think its not a sport has witnessed gaming tourney. Competitive gaming, in my opinion, is a sport. It can get very physical when someone cheats or is "cheap". And to disregard the opinion that a sport has to be physical look at chess poker(as stated before) they aren't physical at all. Also i can some ppl don't use the dictionary that much cuz in the definition of a "sport" someone listed:

A Sport-
1) has a fixed, objective scoring system
2) requires physical activity
3) is competitive

This doesn't mean that all sports have to follow all of these criterias. It just means it could follow them all but can fit the decribition of a "sport" even if it has just one or two of the criterias. :glasses-s

By the way, racing is a sport. It takes a lot of physical ability to manipulate a car at those speeds. They don't have cruise control. If you've ever been in one, you'd know.

I do think it takes physical activity for something to be a sport, as well as a decent amount of skill. I see a difference between games and sports. Games, IMO, may have minimal physical activity but not to the extent of a sport. That's why I see Kerling (or curling, however it's spelled) as a game and not a sport. You can play ping pong with a minimal amount of effort, so I consider it a game. To me, a sport is something that MUST have a decent amount of effort.

Certain competitions are games as well. Should a DDR competition be a sport? It's a video game, but it meets the criteria of a sport. Cooking tournaments like the Iron Chef?

yea Darth_Jonas u make valid points. But the more and more i read about this topic the more obviously it becomes that this is a battle of opinions. And there'll never be any clear-cut winner in this argument. Even tho ppl have made some pretty strong points, this can go either way ... Forever...

And thanks Jason mv, its so wrong yet so funny. :eyebrow:

Err.. it was me who got that list off Wikipedia.. not tigear

Anyway it's basically a matter of opinion. Like I said it's basically impossible for either side to gain any ground when arguing whether something counts as a sport or not.

Right now I don't think anywhere officially recognises computer games as sports... but hey... it's a growing industry. As they get increasingly competive and popular it's more likely that they'll get classified as a sport.

Spuds hasn't learned how to air out his opinions yet.....j/k man.....Anyhoo, i consider Competitive Gaming a sport....It takes more brainpower than badmitton, and in some places, badmitton is considered a sport...Plus, if you get good enough, you can make quite a bit of money.....Ask the Madden Challenge players....It's kind of like the Olympics, they don't get a buttload of money.....They make their money off endorsements.....Just like Pro Competitive Gamers do

i really wouldnt know...guess i am not that into my video games...but i would say no it isnt a sport....maybe dance dance rev. cus u move haha....

Meggo the Eggo said:
Quite simply, I will hunt you down and kill you. Your days are numbered. It's for the sake of womankind ^_.

You cursed me with what you said. Some lady attacked me today for no reason what so ever.

Thanks Darth_Jonas , it took me awhile to make i greatly appreciate it. Spiderman Kicks Anal Cheeks!!! :spiderman

I think games are a sport when i get really into them i can get very mad and start screaming at people for no fraqin reason and by the end of the day my shirt can be soaked in sweat so my parents might think i don't do anything all day, i know i get a bit of workout.