Competitive Gaming... a sport?

Video games are not becoming a sport, a sport by it's definition requires physical acitivity. You are right though that Halo 2 and Super Smash Bros. Melee will have broadcasted games on the USA network. I don't have cable, but if it was done well I would watch a Halo 2 tournament. Though, this is not something new, in South Korea Starcraft tournaments are huge ratings grabbers.

Gaming is not a sport. It can be a highly competitive game, and - personally - can be more entertaining than some sports.

People have been turning out at gaming competitions - especially Halo -, and winning big bucks, for years. So, not calling them a sport shouldn't really throw a bad light on their popularity, or even the skill needed to compete.

But they don't really fall into the catigory of sports.

Next generation systems like the X360 and PS3 should make gaming competitions more exciting and realistic. Perhaps even courting added attention from the media. But to try and treat them as sports makes them seem token - which as gamers, we know video games are far from token - and make games look like posers on stage with established sports.

Gaming is something different.

i think there is a line where there is just too much comptetion and its not fun any more. i got into socom 1 to that point, where it almost became a job, clanwars every night, online ranks and rep, eseals with the cash prizes, till oneday i was like im not having fun anymore. now i try to avoid that and keep my gaming a relaxing and ejoyable exsparance insted of a stressfull one.

Gaming is not a sport, much like the way nascar is not a sport (to quote Jim Rome: "left turn, left turn, left turn--crash."). Sure it's fun and recreational, and we all enjoy a good bout of competition every once in a while, but it's not a sport. It lacks that physical demand.

well not its not a sport but i have been in halo2 tournys the're no joke.... i dont think they should go so far as calling it a sport but maybe somthing like.... event.... but ill tell you halo2 will really work you into a sweat.... so i uno im ok with saying its a sport... even though it isnt...

I just took a look at the prize money and if (they will) 3D wins every tournament (they have only lost 3 times out of like 50) they each get $47,500.

Wow.

If poker is a sport...

If the Louge (forgive spelling) is a sport...

If curling (the one in the olympics) is a sport...

Then anything competitve can be dubbed a sport.

Darth_Jonas said:
If poker is a sport...

If the Louge (forgive spelling) is a sport...

If curling (the one in the olympics) is a sport...

Then anything competitve can be dubbed a sport.

You're forgetting billiards,darts & marbles! EVEN PLAYING MONOPOLY COUNTS AS A SPORT!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

Chess boxing?

Oh and what is Louge? *Investigates*

"A luge is small one- or two-person sled on which one sleighs supine and feet-first. Steering is done by flexing the sled's runners or pulling straps attached to the sled's runners. Luge is also the name of the sport which involves racing with such sleds. It is a competition in which these sleds race against the clock."

Hmmm... to be honest I think my examples were better

IMO, a sport is something that...

1) has a fixed, objective scoring system
2) requires physical activity
3) is competitive

Everyone would have different ideas about what qualifies as "physical activity". I don't really see how some of the things that are considered sports involve much in the way of physical activity... but it's hard to draw a line in the sand. I remember arguing to great lengths with a friend of mine over whether snooker was a sport or not with no ground made either way.

I don't think anyone could possibly believe that playing a game is more strenuous than a 100m dash... but playing games is comparable in physical activity with some of the less vigorous sports.

Also just about anything can be competitive.... to competitive people at least.

Elite Gamer said:
You're forgetting billiards,darts & marbles! EVEN PLAYING MONOPOLY COUNTS AS A SPORT!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

Chess boxing?

Oh and what is Louge? *Investigates*

"A luge is small one- or two-person sled on which one sleighs supine and feet-first. Steering is done by flexing the sled's runners or pulling straps attached to the sled's runners. Luge is also the name of the sport which involves racing with such sleds. It is a competition in which these sleds race against the clock."

Hmmm... to be honest I think my examples were better

Nothing there should EVER be called a sport, with the minor exception of curling and lounge, it's requires being phisically active.

Darth_Jonas said:
hmmm. Would sex be a sport? It's physical, you have a goal, you score, and it's always something to be better at.

HAHA I call it a sport. I you caount all the girls yuo been with or times you can do it it a week. It's a Sport. And a Work out.

If you have to count the girls you've been with, I fear for you, and any other partners you think you have.

I think competitive gaming should be a sport. I used to be in the whole competitive scene, but I got too serious with it.

Hardcore said:
If you have to count the girls you've been with, I fear for you, and any other partners you think you have.

I think competitive gaming should be a sport. I used to be in the whole competitive scene, but I got too serious with it.

It should be a sport because not every player is the same. We all have tactics and play different. Plus ppl pay money to see someone throw a ball or run faster they they can. So why can't geeks have the same. i would pay to see someone get treated in a Street Fighter Tourny. or a Halo one.

And I don't have many girls under my belt. I play to may games to have a social life. Even girls who play games like to go out.