College Basketball

Pitt is my team. They have been doing pretty decent this year, a lot better than most expected, since they are a young team. If a few bounces went their way, they could be undefeated, but oh well. We'll see what happens in the Big East and NCAA Tournaments.

Pitt is doing much better than expected.

As to Christian Laettner: In college he was an unstoppable player, one of the top 10 college players of all time according to The Sports List on FSN. 100% shooting in the title game for instance. Not to mention leading Duke to 2 championships.

As to his later failures: Duke is notorious for putting incredible players to the NBA with high expectations, only to see them not come close to meeting those expectations. Jason Williams most recently. At least Laettner lasted as long as he has. If I were an NBA coach I would shy away from drafting Duke alumni. Say what you will about Grant Hill.

wijg said:
I swear we had a thread involving this topic before. Perhaps the Mybug ate it.

Anyway, round 1 Duke vs UNC goes to Duke. It was a game of spurts. Duke played brilliantly at times and horrendously at others. But they held on for the win, something they have done lately. While I am glad they continue to win, I would rather it be by a more comfortable margin. But beating UNC on the road was a big win. The Duke/UNC rival is an amazing aspect of college basketball.

For those that saw the game, I must say the Dockery allyoop to McRoberts for the reverse slam was pretty damn impressive.

your kinda funny :pirate: :wario:

Yeah the Gods of the NBA don't like Duke players. Duke doesn't create NBA stars, but recently they have created solid players: Brand, Battier, Dunleavy, Duhon, Boozer, and Deng. I think Grant Hill and Jason Williams could have been superstars, but we shall never truly know due to injuries.

And round 2 of Duke vs UNC went to UNC. I was there to see the tragedy unfold first hand. Carolina played better and that usually results in a win. Duke needs to find something they have lost or else it is going to be a short ACC and NCAA tournament for us.

Despite the loss, though, there is nothing quite like a Duke/UNC game in Cameron.

Oh, and I completely forgot. My alma mater Davidson is going to the dance. They won the Southern Conference championship and are guaranteed a bid to the NCAA tourny. Rock on.

Last edited:
Yeah, Wijg, my sentiments exactly......Duke and State both need to find what they lost before the upcoming tournament this weekend.....But i was hoping State would keep their #2 seed, so that we didn't have to be in Duke's bracket.......Now, it just looks like the Pack will have to serve up a little revenge for that loss to Duke earlier this season.......And, last but not least, CAROLINA IS NOT AS GOOD AS THEY SEEM!!...I get kinda tired of hearing the announcers say, "Roy Williams should be coach of the year" :whistlebl :whistlebl :whistlebl Whoa, Hold up, Mr Vitale.....He is a temper-tantrum throwing old fart....Kinda like ol' Deano used to be there.....

You have got to be kidding me....If it were any other team, SnakeWesker, there would be no talks for Coach of the Year....But because it's Carolina and Roy Williams has had it so tough with losing his top 7 scorers...blah,blah,blah........Give me a freakin' break....The media hype around the Tarheels this year is just as bad as when the Panthers had their little hype earlier this year....Overblown B.S......and yeah, i can say all this because i am from North Carolina(the state) and i still live here.....So for all you Tarheel fans out there, take your little Jr. Dean Smith, go find a nice pond, and take a really deep swim

ACC tourney is this weekend....It would be great to get everybody's picks for their dark horses and, of course, your favorites.....C'mon now, Georgia Tech fans, we wanna hear from you too!!....By the way, that would be my dark horse....It doesn't matter how crazy the Yellow Jackets' regular season was, they always pull out some terrific tourney play.....Of course, I'll be pulling for my Wolfpack all the way....Alot is riding on this tourney and the NCAA tourney....It will be the difference if Herb Sendek keeps his job and if Eptimov will be taken in the first round of the NBA Draft......LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!

I saw there was some activity in the other sports thread, so I thought I would renew the only one that really matters here.

The ACC tourney has come and gone and the NCAA one is about to start. Wake made a surprise run to the third round. State unfortunately sucked. The Tarheels lost to BC, the Eagles not the MIA Mygamer PS2 editor. And Duke took the trophy home once again. They played much better for the tournament, so hopefully this will give them some momentum for the Big Dance.

Anyone surprised by any of the selections? Rankings? Who will be in the Final Four?

Yeah, i think the ACC got majorly hosed! I mean, they got more teams in BEFORE they added the latest three! You can put Air Force in, but not Miami or NC State? What up wit dat???

NC State did get in....they are a freakin' 10th seed...but we sucked the last four games of the regular season....Thankfully, we're in the Atlanta Bracket....Oh, wait a minute Wijg, Duke's in that bracket too..What da ya know??!!?......I was very surprised that the ACC only got 4 in the Big Dance....I am even more surprised that South Carolina did not get in....They were coming on strong in the end of the year

yeah, i totally agree with you on that Huddy......In terms of mixing it up, they did do it differently though....I never have seen so many Cinderellas than i have in this tourney......Making out bracket sheets this year will require more effort......We should start our own MyGamer NCAA tourney brackets, that would kick ass!!.....I'll wait for more people's response before i setup one.....C'mon, you sports fans, lets see what you got

I had Seton Hall too, Snake.....Damn you Seton Hall, you can beat State at State.....but you can't beat Wichita State....Whuz up wit Dat??!!???......Oh well....Go Pack....and Winthrop came close....Damn you, Tennessee, stop picking on the little guys!!

Wow, Northwestern State beat Iowa. That sorta sucks, but I had Iowa losing in the second round anyway, so it's no biggie.

UCONN survived a scare. While it would have been a nice upset, I was rooting for UCONN, since I have them going to the Finals.

Pitt took their first step tonight, winning in convincing fashion. Whoever they play on Sunday should watch out.