An idea for Hollywood

wijg

Asst Reviews Editor
Registered
Jun 23, 2005
The Old Same Place
Comic book movies are big now. Very big. The success of X-men and Spider-man have revealed the box office potential. Fantastic 4, though considered by most to not be anywhere near the above mentioned movies, made $100 million in two weeks all but guaranteeing a sequel if principal cast will return.

I think there has been much debate though about how closely the movies follow the stories from the comics. I unfortunately know little of comics. I have been told that the X-men movies and Spider-man movies have been fairly close to the comics in the ways they could be. This led me to a new idea for movie studios.

Movie studios should start making these types of movies specifically for the geek audience. In other words, they should be very faithful to the source material perhaps at the risk of alienating the general public who may not be as familiar with the work.

My reasoning is this: while many moviegoers may see a movie once, when the geek contingency likes a movie, I mean really likes a movie, they will see it 12 times on opening day. Being more faithful to the source material can contribute to this.

Just a thought I had. I may not have articulated this in the best way, but I had to be at work early, and my brain hasn't fully woken up yet.

Never happen. What's more profitable, 8 million people seeing a movie once, or 100,000 people seeing a movie 10 times?

Similar issues used to come up in auto enthusiast forums I used to frequent. People would say "you know, if someone just made a decent, light, RWD car with a decently powerful motor that was easily modifiable, and sold it for a slight premium, wouldn't they make tons of money? Enthusiasts would be all over that!" The problem is, enthusiasts make up less that 1% of 1% of the auto buying public. The big bucks for auto manufacturers is in fleet deals, where they can be sure they'll sell 50,000 cars to some company. Those 50,000 cars are all going to be the same so they have to be as accesible to as many people as possible, thus the industry caters to the lowest common denominator. The few enthusiast-oriented cars that are available are basically handouts, and the companies could eliminate them entirely without much impact to the bottom line.

Movies are similar. Sure, there are lots of niche films. But did you go see The Machinist? Not many people did. They'd rather watch some brainless romantic comedy with Jennifer Aniston. That's where the money is; even if people went to see The Machinist 5 times, it wouldn't add up to the ticket sales of the next Brad Pitt vehicle.

you should trick moviegoers into thinking its another brainless film filled with boobies, fart jokes, exploding cars and talking babies. then secretly, it's actually a quality film that requires thought! all that matters is opening weekend anyway. after the word gets out that the movie is actually of good quality and not just the same shit that hollywood always churns out like oh so much meat, it will be too late! people will have already been tricked into seeing a good movie! HAHAHAHA!!

I see what you're saying wijg, but I don't think it would work. I'm a big Marvel fan (X-Men specifically) and I am pretty happy with the movies. It would be better if they did stories like Magneto ripping out Wolverine's adamantium, Xavier's crazy son, or better yet comic crossovers would be sweet, but then you have multiple movie companies and that probably wouldn't fair well for the movie itself. As long as they don't change a story line, like making a character live when they died in the comic, or giving someone powers they don't have, then I personally don't have a problem with them. Its good that they do change some things, like the costumes (imagine how stupid Wolverine would've looked in all that yellow). It will be interesting to see how Fox handles the Pheonix Saga, and how Sony handles the Venom character.

Perhaps not. It was just a thought I had. We shall see if the new X-3 director will be any good. Also, it will be interesting to see how much principal cast is returning.

GhostToast said:
you should trick moviegoers into thinking its another brainless film filled with boobies, fart jokes, exploding cars and talking babies. then secretly, it's actually a quality film that requires thought! all that matters is opening weekend anyway. after the word gets out that the movie is actually of good quality and not just the same shit that hollywood always churns out like oh so much meat, it will be too late! people will have already been tricked into seeing a good movie! HAHAHAHA!!
I would have fell for that, but now I will look out for it now that you mentioned it.

The No. 1 reason they do not make comic book movies anymore to the comic book storylines in real life is cause Comic Books like Xmen and Batman have so much backstory that It would be impossiable to fit all the reasons why things are the way they are in 120 min film.

Now a animated or live action Tv series that follows the comic books, could mabe be done, but even then they will have to cut alot of things out.

The closest thing is Justice League, which in alot of ways on par with whats going on in the DC universe now.

The closest thing is Justice League said:
Justice League RULES...WOOOOOOO.

If the action sequences are cool, I'll go see Aeon Flux. I never really watched the cartoon. I REALLY don't like the guy's character design and this is one thing that can really turn me off about cartoons. The story could be great, but if I don't like the character design, I won't watch it.

No, I haven't seen the Bloodrayne trailer. And with regards to TMNT, I had Ooze on VHS. "Go ninja, go ninja, go" That's what I say to you Maverick.

Yeah...I'd like to see you come back from that one.

wijg said:
No, I haven't seen the Bloodrayne trailer. And with regards to TMNT, I had Ooze on VHS. "Go ninja, go ninja, go" That's what I say to you Maverick.

Yeah...I'd like to see you come back from that one.

Well to that I say, "Yes they deserved to die, and I hope they burn in hell!"- Samuel L. Jackson in A Time to Kill. Ha!

Two nice responses. Touche. With regards to Power Rangers: I remember seeing promos for that show and being very excited. As I was a big fan of Voltron, and hadn't yet discovered giant robot anime, I thought Power Rangers would fill that void in my life. Man was I disappointed. I am usually a good sport about things and am able to suspend my fair share of disbelief. Power Rangers, though, DID NOT ROCK.