What game stands the test of time?

StarCraft - Brood War, I just love that game, from time to time we still play it with my friend, there are a tons of mods that are so enjoyable with other people. It's a game from an era when modding was encouraged by the developers instead of forbidden for the sake of DLCs and profit.
Another game would be GTA Vice City, I just love it. The atmosphere, the characters, the story, it's simply amazing.

There are a few games that stand the test of time for me. Most notably, because it's the oldest, is Legend of Dragoon. It's a PS1 rpg from the late 90's or early 2000's and not a particularly popular one it seems.

Some others are Shadow Hearts 2, the Onimusha series and FFX.

I've seen it pop up multiple times here and I have to agree that Civ 3 was one of the greatest PC games of all time. You could play this game a million times and have a different experience each time. I loved experimenting with humanity.

I still really enjoy Pharoah too. This game was lesser-known but really fun. Anyone else play this game?

I really enjoyed the entire Myst series and can actually play those when I'm in the mood as well. Years go by, and I forget most of the secrets and riddles, so it always seems new and fascinating each time I play.

Who doesn't love a round of Zoo Tycoon?! I never seem interested in it for long periods of time, but every once in a while I feel the urge to make my own zoo.

For me it has got to be FIFA, I know that EA Sports keep upgrading the game and bring in new features with every release but the fundamentals of the game has not changed and that's what makes gamers like me get hooked on to it for a long time. Even I can scarcely believe that I have been playing it for more than 10 years now.

I think the JRPG genre as a whole holds up the best. Whether it is The Legend of the Dragoon or Final Fantasy 9, the stories, music, and atmosphere tend to more than make up for the dated graphics.

Some games are just so good, they can never get old to me. Doom II, I've been designing my Own WAD levels since at least about 1999 and have no intention of stopping anytime soon. Civ II, the hours I've spent playing that little beauty, Pharaoh, a fantastic city builder with a great UI. All of them are superb and titles I will play for as long as I'm able. But the one game that tops them all has to be GTA San Andreas, I can come back to that time and again and lose a few hours in the blink of an eye. Its perhaps a little dated compared to GTA 4 and certainly GTA 5, but its a genuine classic in its own right, and the extensive mods available keep it fresh.

Pokemon! This game transcends generations. Also, the Civilization games and Starcraft--I never get tired of playing these two.They both have great replay value. You could clock in hours playing Civ and still want to beat the heck up your opponents again and again.

I have to say Warcraft 3 for this. I still have friends who I go back and play it with from time to time. Not only are the campaigns and standard matches great, but there are so many fun player-created maps. It will be a shame when Blizzard finally takes down Warcraft 3's servers.

Starcraft is still the game for me. That old platform game still has it when it comes to player enjoyability. It has a good storyline, music score, the characters are well-developed and the gameplay is straight-forward but still as challenging. It's still great fun. I don't think the story behind it will ever grow old.

DOOM and Duke Nukem 3D still hold up perfectly for me. Beyond that, the Point n Click adventure genre ages incredibly well. While I don't know if my inherent love of Point n Click adventures fogs my view, but I think they're some of the strongest pre-2000's PC games, no doubt.

Warcraft III for me, hands down. It's great. It has an interesting storyline, good graphics for its time, great gameplay and the resource management system is just perfect. It's also very comfortable to play compared to almost any other strategy game till date. No strategy game can ever beat it, at least for me. For RPG lovers, you also have RPG style missions in the single-player mode and there's actually a whole RPG style campaign in The Frozen Throne expansion as well! The game has a lot of variety too. It truly stands the test of time and is equally fun and challenging to play even today!

is it me, or do most RTS's just seem to last longer than other games?
I guess once a good RTS, always a good RTS. Age of Empires 2 looks really dated, but I would still go back and play it sometimes. Warlords: Battlecry 2 is still soooo good after all these years (that music is the best).

Marvel Superheroes was probably the first fighting game I played. I used to bring a portable copy to work and play it during lunch and it still holds up.

I would say more than anything else, it the simple games that don't require good graphics. RTS like Age of Empires 2 or simple RPGs like pokemon. I can pick these kinds of things up after years of not playing and they are as good as ever. Its games the rely on cutting edge graphics that are never going to hold up. Next year a slightly better more cutting edge game comes out and makes the previous one obsolete, unless their is something special about the game.

Age of Empires, I am not sure when the original came out but it is a game that I play often. Especially when I do not have the internet. I also still enjoy playing Diablo 2 and that specific game I started playing when I was 14 in 1999. I like the ability to play offline or online and create different specs with different characters to see how they work and what works best together. It has helped me choose my specs on other characters in different games.

So far, I'm going to have to say World of Warcraft. Yeah, it lost a bunch of subscribers lately, but it still has, by far, the largest player base out of all MMORPGs. And many of the people that unsubscribed will return once the new expansion comes out next year.

For me, Baldur`s Gate II. There has yet to be an RPG as complex, fun and atmospheric to be released as that gem. They recently made an "Enhanced Edition" of the game as well, improving parts of it, and making it run on modern PCs. If you are an RPG fan, you owe to yourself to try Baldur`s Gate out, at least once.

Civilization 3 is still a game I love to this day, but I would have to say the game to stand the test of time has to go to Counter-Strike 1.6/Source. Both are old, with source being over 10 years old and 1.6 being almost 17. To this day, both have heavy modding communities, hardcore players, and are still being bought.

I think DOOM still holds up great today. The only thing you really have to get used to is the lack of vertical aiming. It's still very playable and very fun. It's a type of game you don't really see much these days, with the type of levels and item collecting gameplay it has for an FPS.

In my opinion Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (nowadays renamed on Steam to ARMA: Cold War Assault), one of my all-time favorite games to be sure, most definitely stands the test of time.
It's more fun and engaging than its successors, it was way ahead of its time and plays very well even today. Plus, with mods even the graphics from 15 years ago hold up decent enough.

It's just an absolute joy to play, I can't recommend it enough, and nobody seems to know of it despite the successors becoming a pretty recognized name in the gaming industry (still a bit niche, though, probably).