What game stands the test of time?

Mechanics wise they offer a lot of enjoyment and for PC RTS games, the fanbase makes so many graphical mods that they can keep up alright with changing times. Then there's others that are made in isometric art with emphasis on cartoony/pixel which is hard to age.

3-D with cell-shade overlay has decent longevity as well such as Okami because it was stylistically done rather than realistic. Another good example is also WoW. The problem with striving for hyper realism is that the graphics for it can age really fast with advancements in lighting/shading/ect.

thats a good point Cereus. when you go for ultra-realizm, later on your graphics just look like shit. But, when you go cell shaded, cartoony, or very artsy, time doesnt really matter as much.

im hoping borderlands looks this good later on. Since it kinda took that approach.

I still play Master of Magic every now and then. In my eyes it is an unsurpassed feat of sheer gameplay genius, even more so after all the failed attempts by many modern games to fully capture its glory. There is something about it that rings just right in my ears. I would be more than happy to have a complete graphical overhaul for the modern day and age without any changes at all, gameplay wise.

In fact, even the graphics should be subtly updated and in a top down 2D tiles style, loyal to the original. There is something about simpler graphics and turn based strategy games that I find not only appealing but also practically correct. 3D graphics are one of the main reasons I never could really get into the newer Civilization games.

Depends on the type of game, I guess, but I think World of Warcraft deserves at least a mention. Even though I'm pretty much over it now, it had a heck of a run as a sub based MMORPG, and it is still going (though I expect it to go F2P before too long).

Definitely games like Super Mario and Tetris. Counter Strike seems to be surviving the test of time pretty well too.

Definitely Mario and Tetris. People laugh at how much I still like Tetris. I had to get it on my phone. I always wanted one of those handhelds, but now I don't need one any more.

Definitely Mario and Tetris. People laugh at how much I still like Tetris. I had to get it on my phone. I always wanted one of those handhelds, but now I don't need one any more.

Having a smart phone really changed gaming for me. I mean, it can have so many handheld emulators, so you can pretty much play any old games.

Reactions: Zyni
Mario, Pacman and Grand Theft Auto are some of the games that have stood the test of time. Mario is still one of the best selling series of all time, people still love Pacman, and Grand Theft Auto is a hit that is guaranteed more future success.

Oh man, I totally forgot about Tetris! I love that game. I can still play that game for hours.

Counter-Strike, without a shred of doubt. I will never get tired of this game. Valve tried their best with Global Offensive, but there's just something extraordinary about good ol' Counter-Strike, which makes it so fun to play. It works as a stress-reliever, too...

Half life 2 will stand the test of time. Not only because of the great gameplay, because the half life 3 complainers will always exist.

Counter-Strike, without a shred of doubt. I will never get tired of this game. Valve tried their best with Global Offensive, but there's just something extraordinary about good ol' Counter-Strike, which makes it so fun to play. It works as a stress-reliever, too...

I really like Global Offensive, although I do agree with you about an appeal of old school Counter Strike. I feel like Counter Strike has a stereotype of being an "old" game, and so Global Offensive doesn't quite feel right.

A game that definitely stands the test of time would be Guild Wars 2. I still play the game to this very day and it seems just as epic now from my first day playing. It's an all around great game and experience! For kids looking to play games that enable you to think and challenge you mentally at times while being completely epic. Guild wars is the game!

I really like Global Offensive, although I do agree with you about an appeal of old school Counter Strike. I feel like Counter Strike has a stereotype of being an "old" game, and so Global Offensive doesn't quite feel right.
That's not to say that CS: Global Offensive is a bad game, in my opinion, but the classic Counter-Strike and its simplistic gameplay is just so much more appealing to me. CS:GO, on the other hand, is Valve's current way of exploiting gamers' desire to be "on the top" (with all the stuff you can buy). I don't blame them, they're a smart company. But hey, as long as they continue making quality games, I can let it slide.

Hey, why haven't anyone mentioned the original starcraft and homeworld series? I know that Starcraft have newer games and Homeworld has a remastered collection but those RTS were really good and the nostalgia calls me back to them.

For me it would have to be Gun, the GameCube version. I don't know if it's because I love western games, but I still really enjoy playing it on my GameCube. I think another one I feel has stood the test of time is the SNES The Legend of Zelda. It's still my favorite Zelda game.

Ah yes, I forgot about Zelda. My whole family loved that game. It was played much in this household.

Oooh, someone said Pacman. I used to really like that one. I go back and forth between mindless games and thinking games.

The game that I always see myself to return to from time to time is Age of Empires III. Truly an amazing game. I remember when we would have LAN parties with my crew and play all night long, we still do that, same people, same game, just very rarely, but that makes it more special:) It really is a game that every time I turn on, it excites me as the first time, the day I got internet at my house.

Easy choice for me. Age of Empires 3. The game is almost 10 years old now, and I think the graphics still look really good! I think the art style will lend itself to aging very well. The game-play is still rock solid. To be honest, I don't feel the RTS genre has come very far since AOE 3.

That's good one. I think and game that is based on the same engine, is cool. Age of Empires, Age of mythology. Maybe not the name it self, but the game play is timeless in itself.

Pokemon, for me. All these years, Pokemon is still fun to play. It's simple, yet addictive. :D

Probably CS 1.6? I'm pretty sure there are alot of people still playing it. Which is insane because that game is so old now, is it like 14-16 years? I think it got released in '99 but I'm not 100% sure.