What game stands the test of time?

Kjordo711

Registered
Feb 17, 2015
There's the question!

For me, I have to say Empire Earth 2 (2007 I think). For that game it hasn't been a very long test of time, but that was the first RTS I played and I fell in love with it and I still am in love with it. I can just pick that game up at any time of the day or night and be content with playing for hours on end. So what is the game for you? It has to be a game from at least a few years ago that today you still love. Games much older than a few years ago are welcome!!

I'm so conflicted! It's either Warcraft 2 or Civilization 3. I can STILL go back and play those games and be completely lost in them.

I'm still a fan of the new Civilization games, but I really wish Blizzard would come out with a new RTS Warcraft game instead of an MMO. But, MMOs are the cash cow right now, so that doesn't seem likely.

Funny story - when Civilization 5 was announced, I got a text from my wife asking me if she should just preemptively file for divorce now so it didn't interfere with the release date (she was kidding).

WarCraft 3: The Frozen Throne. The vast array of custom maps have kept this game going strong despite it being over a decade old. DotA Allstars in particular has been enjoying great popularity even with DotA 2 and League of Legends becoming mainstream.

is it me, or do most RTS's just seem to last longer than other games? i was gonna say both the lord of the rings RTS, and MECHCOMMANDER are both awesome and survived well, but maybe its the genre all together?

It's almost 2am here so I'm not exactly on the top of my knowledge game, but one game that will always be fun to me no matter what is Doom. I will even take it over some of the modern day shooters any time!

Reactions: Steve Dawson
It's not that old, but Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is still a pretty solid game. It's a great FPS that doesn't have ALL of the CoD tropes that people love to lambast today. It was far closer to a straight war game with a strong story, and the multiplayer was exceptionally solid.

One of the best games every created has to be Runescape. Some people may not agree but Runescape has been one of the most innovative game every created. Not to say that it is still running today despite being released in the early 2000s is very impressive. Attracting about 100 hundered thousands players daily is very impressive for a game like Runescape.

I would say the Grand theft auto series have stand the test of time because I like may others never get tiered or bored to play these games. I still play Vice city and it still feels like a new game. Other games such as Super Mario can be added to the list.

Definitely games like Super Mario and Tetris. Counter Strike seems to be surviving the test of time pretty well too.

I think really classic games like super Mario and pacman have TRULY stood the test of time and technology for that matter.

Aside from timeless classics such as the arcade titans (Pacman, Asteroids, Space Invaders,...), one game I can certainly say it has passed the test of time is Jazz Jackrabbit 2, a really fun PC platformer. The cartoony graphics style and the fact that it still has a multiplayer modding community means that it's still alive, and that it will continue living for a long time.

Civilization 2 or 3, probably warcraft 2 and 3. I also recently was playing Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and was surprised how well it was after 20ish years. A game that killed my nostalgia was Ultima 4... one of my favorite games of all time, and I can´t play it for more than 15 minutes now.

I think really classic games like super Mario and pacman have TRULY stood the test of time and technology for that matter.

Those games have been recreated on modern technology so many times. Games like Mario and Pong are usually among the first games some game programmers create.

I would say that games woth a lot of moddig capabilities will stand the test if time. For example, in my country, I still hear people theat play GTA: San Andreas dut to it's crazy mods and the fact that you can play it online using some pirate servers.

There's too many of them to list here. The ones that really stand out for me are titles like Quake, Counter Strike, Unreal Tournament, mostly shooters that were extremely popular back in the day. Each one of them have sequels that are still played today, even in the professional leagues. The mechanics never change too much for these games, nor should they, keeping them close to the original versions.

I'd have to say that Bioshock (the first one) still holds up pretty dang well. I watched someone replay it, and the graphics still look really good!

is it me, or do most RTS's just seem to last longer than other games? i was gonna say both the lord of the rings RTS, and MECHCOMMANDER are both awesome and survived well, but maybe its the genre all together?

Mechanics wise they offer a lot of enjoyment and for PC RTS games, the fanbase makes so many graphical mods that they can keep up alright with changing times. Then there's others that are made in isometric art with emphasis on cartoony/pixel which is hard to age.

3-D with cell-shade overlay has decent longevity as well such as Okami because it was stylistically done rather than realistic. Another good example is also WoW. The problem with striving for hyper realism is that the graphics for it can age really fast with advancements in lighting/shading/ect.

I think San Andreas still is an awesome game after all these years. I still got back to it from time to time. It's still one of the best games to be ever released by Rockstar.Although,it looks quite dated now, but it still is an awesome ride.

Easy choice for me. Age of Empires 3. The game is almost 10 years old now, and I think the graphics still look really good! I think the art style will lend itself to aging very well. The game-play is still rock solid. To be honest, I don't feel the RTS genre has come very far since AOE 3.

That's a hard question to answer. To tell the truth, it really depends on the type of the game. For me one of the best strategy games that I sometimes play nowadays is Stronghold Cruseder, which was released in around 2002. For shooter type of game, counter strike will always be my number 1. From cs 1.6 to counter strike go, its the only shooting game that I don't get bored of. Don't really play racing games that much, but my favorite will always be need for speed underground 2:)