Video Game Violence

have been playing violent games since the release of Mortal Kombat on the Sega Genesis console in 1993. Since then the majority of games I've played had a violent theme. Medal of Honor, Metal Gear Solid, and Socom: U.S. Navy Seals all have military themes. Then there are the Mafioso games like GTA and the Getaway, which sport extreme violence, language, and sexual content. And horror games, such as Resident Evil, BloodRayne, and The Thing, which contain more twisted and gore-filled images then any slasher flick.
According to people such as presidential hopeful Joe Lieberman I should be a ball boiling hatred that will explode at the drop of a hat. However, to this date I have not committed any abominable act of violence, and certainly none that reflects anything in video games. But I am just one example. One would be hard pressed to find a student at Whitmer High School (my local school) that hasn't played at least one of these games and as of yet it has not erupted in an orgy of gang warfare. In fact, the people who claim to be inspired by games to commit violent acts make up less then one percent of those who play video games.
People are not willing to accept that violent video games are the product of today's society. And that society's ills are rooted in larger problems then a small animated character shooting other animated characters with a machine gun. People are also unwilling to admit that, despite the influences their kids are subjected to, they are the ones that are responsible for their upbringing. And because these individuals do not accept this responsibility media, such as video games and their creators, are now scapegoats.

Silent Storm I do know what the Africans went through traveling to America and I do know about the overseers, but my whole point is to show that black people weren't the only ones that had to suffer in America's past and the black people presently don't know that. There to busy getting grills and killing each other to learn about there ancestry. All they hear is that blacks were slaves and they think that they need reparations. General Wiese makes an excellent point about the Mayflower and about the british (I forgot all about that). General Wiese actually makes many good points.

Well to explain the whole plantation owners being christians owning slaves can be easily argued. Basicly the reason why they owned slaves was do to geography. The north had many ways to make money where the Soth had very little. The South felt that to compete with the North economically they needed slaves. Every southerner agreed to this and the funny thing is that only 1% of southern families owned large plantations. The plantation owners would actually use a form of propaganda saying that every white person was better than the slaves, even though must of the white were considered hill people and very poor. The South basically had only the tobacaco industry to live off of then cotton after the invention of the cotton gin by Eliegh Witney. Though they were christian they didn't want to give the North power over them.

Jason mv said:
Silent Storm I do know what the Africans went through traveling to America and I do know about the overseers, but my whole point is to show that black people weren't the only ones that had to suffer in America's past and the black people presently don't know that. There to busy getting grills and killing each other to learn about there ancestry. All they hear is that blacks were slaves and they think that they need reparations. General Wiese makes an excellent point about the Mayflower and about the british (I forgot all about that). General Wiese actually makes many good points.

Well to explain the whole plantation owners being christians owning slaves can be easily argued. Basicly the reason why they owned slaves was do to geography. The north had many ways to make money where the Soth had very little. The South felt that to compete with the North economically they needed slaves. Every southerner agreed to this and the funny thing is that only 1% of southern families owned large plantations. The plantation owners would actually use a form of propaganda saying that every white person was better than the slaves, even though must of the white were considered hill people and very poor. The South basically had only the tobacaco industry to live off of then cotton after the invention of the cotton gin by Eliegh Witney. Though they were christian they didn't want to give the North power over them.

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU! Finally someone in this forum that has complimented my post and not denied it because I am a white man saying something (finally) about black people. But anyway I just thought Id say one of my random thoughts on this matter today. What if we gave ALL the black people in America qho are here beacasuse of the slaves the chance to be united once again with there homeland. Do you honestly believe they would all give up the luxury of living in a country where there they can have freedoms far beyond any other country and complain without anyone saying anything for fear of it being racist? So then, that would mean, that they should not complain but thank us for bringing them over from Africa, or at least stp complaining. Either way its still impossible.

But that was just a thought

General_Wiese said:
I think this post should be renamed, ROOTS 2: the never-ending bullshit. Hey, did anyone here remember the mayflower? Couple month long trip with some pilgrims, you know. I mean, maybe they had flushing toilets, baths every day, and there wemon didnt have periods, BUT WHO KNOWS! And please, you act like Africa is a safe haven. People in Africa were constantly undergoing tribal wars, famines, diing of molaria, and uneducated to the point where they couldnt speak. We took them from Africa? WRONG! Blacks kidnapped blacks an sold them to whites for money.

And I especially love how Jason has to say hes not white for anyone to think hes not a racist who just saying it because hes white. The deal is, we brought blacks to a better world, gave them shelter, food, clothes, an education, and eventually freedom, and look at how they repay us. The ones that werent even slaves are STILL complaining! White people are the most discriminated in the entire world. Everywhere you go some Black guy calls you a "whity ass hoe" or a "honky" or a "cracks" or the mexicans call us "gringos". This is completely rediculous! And the Irish, what was done to them was terrible. It was HORRIBLE. The British took over part of there land, tainted there most sacred religion, and then to top it all off when disease runs through the patatoes, the Irish peoples main source of food, the British steal the good potatoes and the Irish die and are forced to make the long hard journey to America. They worked, sweat and blead, and now there a prominant people in the U.S. The reason we all feel bad for the blacks is because they still havent gone anywhere! They live on the streets, opps, I mean "hood" killing one another and not getting a job. The taxpayers pay for there wellfare and for 80% of the inmates in prisons that are black to stay in jail. So, next time you think about saying how blacks are oppressed victims, do some honest research.

Last thing. I was just wondering, would calling white people causcasian after the caucasian mountains in Russia be racist for saying all white people originate from there? And if so, would African American be racist beause blacks also come from Jamaica? pshhhh im out

Just a couple of points:

1) It's the Caucasus Mountains, not the Caucasian.

2) One tribe may have kidnapped members of another tribe, but it was still a white man that paid for it to be done.

3) Tribal Africans of the central jungles and savannahs had deep social structures with long traditions of oral history and religious education. To say that they were uneducated to the point that they couldn't speak is ignorant and insulting to the various Germanic tribes that maintained vibrant cultures without any real need for literacy for centuries.

4) The Irish Potato Famine is misunderstood on many levels since a) Irish landowners were exporting plenty of food to Britain (non-potato staple crops such as barley)...it was the poor Irish who lived off of potatoes, and were being starved to death by the wealthy British AND Irish merchant farmers. b) When the Irish arrived here, despite being persecuted and harassed by Protestant "Nativists", they were NOT in chains, did NOT have their families divided for market and were able to create free associations through civic unions (many of them corrupt, such as Tamany Hall) to take power in the urban centers of America. Despite the 13th Amendment, this was still not possible for most Blacks to accomplish, ironically because incoming 'white' immigrant groups, like the Irish, were preferred to Blacks, and the competition for unskilled jobs, government positions and the education to improve themselves was tipped in favor of non-'colored' minority groups. In the South, Jim Crow laws took the place of slavery, so while everyone else who came into the country during the immigrant boom years between the end of the Civil War into the early part of the 20th Century started at a somewhat level playing field, Blacks were given short shrift, legally speaking, until the Civil Rights Act of 1964. And still, some of White America resisted this notion: in 1975, mostly ethnically Irish residents of Boston rioted when desegregation in the Boston school districts was ordered, and as long, long ago as 1997, a Haitian immigrant named Abner Louima was sodomized with a broken broomstick by white police officers.

5) The U.S. government did give freed slaves the option to go back to Africa. They created the free Republic of Liberia in 1822 ( founded by the American Colonization Society in order to 'solve' the problem of slavery and what they considered was the incompatibility between the 'races'). Of course, many freed slaves didn't go, because by then many of the slaves had been bred on U.S. plantations for generations. They had no idea where their ancestry originated from, so returning was a moot point.

6) People on the Mayflower surely had a difficult trip, as all sea voyages were difficult back then. However, they were not stacked in the hold of a vessel shoulder to shoulder and feet to feet unable to move. They were not thrown overboard, chained together by the ankles, when a British naval vessel approached. Their women were not repeatedly raped by the crew of the vessel.

Whether or not Black Americans know their own history, and appreciate it, is not for me to say. I notice that most of us Americans (ahem) don't seem to know much of history to begin with regardless of what color we are. The thing that concerns me most of all is that whatever your opinion is on this subject, it should be based on cogent, intelligible and researched facts.

Wow. I'm gone for two days and there's a war going on.
Jason and Wiese, I know that blacks weren't the only ones who had it bad. Of course there were many others. But, I was just saying that you made it seem like they had it much better than they actually did.
And that part about grills and killing each other is an extreme stereotype. Plus, if all they hear is that blacks were slaves and they think that they need reparations, the only way for them to know more about slavery is through education. At my school I learned about slavery and life in Africa before the slave trade, so I know what I'm talking about.
And of course Africa wasn't that great, but IT WAS THEIR HOME. Just because America was "better" does not necessarily mean that they were better off. And of course all blacks probably wouldn't go to live in Africa. Why would they if they don't know that much about it, and the African culture and traditions were totally taken away from the slaves, so there was no way for their descendants to even appreciate Africa.
And to tell the truth, I don't complain about slavery, and I don't treat whites any less than I treat others. But "we brought blacks to a better world"? Talk about trying hard to justify the actions of others...

silent_storm said:
But "we brought blacks to a better world"? Talk about trying hard to justify the actions of others...

But it was not the intent of the owners. We were treated as property. FOR 400 YEARS 400 MUTHAF**KIN YEARS. WE WERE TREATED LIKE SHIT. You did us no favors in bringing us here. True in time the Cuntry got better but Africans were fine right were they were at.

And Please excuess this next coment, it is not ment to anger anyone.
( But why is it that white ppl think that they must better someone else. Change their life in way shape or form. Why must they sitck ther buniess into someone else's life. You come in like your doing something for the ppl. Heres a fact you fu**ed up the Indians lifes, and made it bad for Black ppl, Asain's and Latinos get it to. Why must they think they are better then someone that is not white. We no one is less os a person because they are not white. )

I been to africa and it sucks over there now. But 400 years ago was it that bad. America was not even formed at the time. blacks were the symbol of property to some. As if we were nothing to ppl. Blacks now a days ( not all but some ) can care less about our culture. It's turly a shame. And the ones that do not care or do not know are more concered with rims and bullsh** that is not needed.

That first part wasnt meant for me right... I was quoting the guy.
And you've seriously been to Africa? What's it like? (other than it sucks)

silent_storm said:
That first part wasnt meant for me right... I was quoting the guy.
And you've seriously been to Africa? What's it like? (other than it sucks)

It was meant for who ever said it first. You were just the person I quoted. ( Sorry to target yo ulike that ).

And yeah I went i was like 13 when I went. I was in Senegal, and Gambia. Dakar ( the capital ) Was not bad, The city is nice but it's really f-up over there. Poverty there is nothing like it is over here. The bus we traveled on had ppl follow us for miles. The wanted to sell us stuff just for food. Boys wore little girls clothing. We passed out candy to a few kids and WHAM a whle lot of kids around. A friend of mine cried becaues of that. We saw a place were they kept slaves waitng to be exported. It was a little of the coast of Senegal, And the areas where the kept slaves were just wrong. ( you know you see these things in pics and replicas at musems, But in person it foul. ) There was a docking station that was almost gone and it was a door way and it was called the Gates to Hell, And the Door of no Return. They said that the warters at the time were shark infested and the slaves would try to swim back home. Some never made it. But the bad places are worst then you cna imagine. Gambia was okay.

But all in all i had fun. The ppl that I went with made it the time of my life. I saw things most ppl will never get to see ever.

Wow...thats a unique experience. I've always wanted to see it, for the experience and to, you know, see where I come from and stuff. BTW, I've been hearing a lot about the genocide of Darfurians in Africa or something. You know anything about that.

Nah I don't know anything about that. I went a while ago. I still have document on it so I'll check and get back to you.

PrinceLUDA21 said:
But it was not the intent of the owners. We were treated as property. FOR 400 YEARS 400 MUTHAF**KIN YEARS. WE WERE TREATED LIKE SHIT. You did us no favors in bringing us here. True in time the Cuntry got better but Africans were fine right were they were at.

And Please excuess this next coment, it is not ment to anger anyone.
( But why is it that white ppl think that they must better someone else. Change their life in way shape or form. Why must they sitck ther buniess into someone else's life. You come in like your doing something for the ppl. Heres a fact you fu**ed up the Indians lifes, and made it bad for Black ppl, Asain's and Latinos get it to. Why must they think they are better then someone that is not white. We no one is less os a person because they are not white. )

I been to africa and it sucks over there now. But 400 years ago was it that bad. America was not even formed at the time. blacks were the symbol of property to some. As if we were nothing to ppl. Blacks now a days ( not all but some ) can care less about our culture. It's turly a shame. And the ones that do not care or do not know are more concered with rims and bullsh** that is not needed.

Why do blacks feel the need to complain about shit they never even went through? I respect the black people that remember what it was like to not be treated equally, the civil ones. THEY know how to act like normal human beings not like these frickin, Oh dare I say it without being called a stereo-type, GANGSTERS. OOPS I MEAN GANGSTAS. Oh yeah the holocaust was the government. HAHAHA not. If you ask me even the Jewish people have gotten over that and that was like, ten thousand times as worse as the blacks had it. YOU HAD IT BAD 100 years ago! GET THE FUCK OVER IT.
Basil munroe, Im ashamed your sorry your ahamed of me but your "higher than everyone else" attitude like you know every frickin thing is annoying even to God.

OK, go back to Africa Prince, because obviously you want to re-embrace your culture. And I mean stay there. Dont visit, please, just leave. Blacks are what discriminate not whites. Every bad thing that happens to white people and you dont hear about it just cuz we're not the minority. And you really wanna talk about white cops shouving a broom up a black guys ass? Try this on for size.

News: Black woman and teen sons kidnapped girls, tortured them for months

Posted on Saturday, March 25 @ 09:21:35 CST by byron
Two runaway teenage girls told police that a St. Paul family kidnapped them and forced them into prostitution, drugging them and pistol-whipping them when they resisted, according to court documents.

The teenagers told investigators that they were subdued by being forced to smoke crack, take sleeping pills or use methamphetamine.

One of the girls said she was lured to the home by a convicted sex offender who offered her a baby-sitting job and drove her to a house. There, a woman whom the girl later identified as Ball said "she had been brought there to 'ho' for her," according to the complaint.

Ball asked the girl to call her "Momma" and pistol-whipped her and forced her into a bedroom closet, where she was kept for several hours at a time, according to an affidavit for a search warrant. The girl said the gun was never out of Ball's reach.

Authorities said the girls were kept virtually naked. They were taken out only to be beaten or whipped, to do housework or to perform sex acts.

The group also placed ads in Twin Cities newspapers and allegedly ran a prostitution ring via computers and cell phone.

Wow. I would actually have to be mad at myself several times over if I played into the whole "one race owes another something because some pale dude did something to some dark dude" thing. I'm a mutt. I'm Scotch-Friggin-Irish, Cherokee (actually 1/8, Great-grandfather), German, English, Mexican, and some distant cousins have skin darker than Columbian coffee.

Funny thing is that my family line has been poor for as far back as I can trace it (all the way to the 1600's where one of my Scottish forefathers came over as a lowly farmer). We've never owned slaves. And where some distant relatives walked the Trail of Tears, my particular family line stayed in NC.

I say that to say this: I owe no one anything. My ancestors weren't always lawful (in fact, they were notorious for running shine during prohibition), but I didn't. The high school that I went to had race riots when desegregation happened. Ironically, by the time I was walking those halls racism was boring. We knew what our parents went through, we had heard the civil rights speeches, we understood the sacrifices our parent's generation made and we respected that. I didn't care what the color of someone's skin was or whether or not their parents knew another language other than Spanish. If they were jackasses, then they were jackasses.

I consider myself an American. I know my lineage. I know the general area of where my ancesters lived and died, but that affects me only in the fact that I've got the red hair of the Scottish, the height and hairlessness of a Cherokee, and the temper of an Irishman. None of it affects the fact that I was born and raised in America, a country I love. Do I care if someone's ancestor came from Africa? Not a bit. Do I even have to respect that fact? No. No one judges me because of my ancestors, gives me special attention, or respects my lineage and I like that. Even the government doesn't take into consideration who my grandparents are when it comes time to hand out scholarships, grants, or student loans. They cared about how much my parents make, but nothing more.

Why should I care? Give me some legitimate reasons why I should give one rat's fuzzy butt because some distant relative of yours had something bad happen to them? I don't hold anything against you because of skin tone, relatives, lineage, or speech. But based off of that same formula, I don't hold anything for you either.

Last edited:
So, General, you have a problem with 'gangstas', not Blacks in general? Geez Louise, well why didn't you say so!?!?!?! I mean, you can't be generalizing that way...after all, hoodlums that disrespect their elders and complain consistently come from all walks of life: Russian, Black, Hispanic, Chinese, Italian, Irish, etc...

Oh, you were just talking about Blacks. Right. Apparently your BROAD generalizations weren't even that broad. Apparently, white youngsters (or for that matter, any 'color') never fall down, never complain about the real or imagined abuses of the past (*koff* *koff* the Klan). Apparently, the two teenagers in Columbine who decided to commit the most horrific school shooting in U.S. history weren't white.

For every illustration you can come up with, I can do better. This is from a blog post, but I have read about both incidents myself (and in the case of the New Jersey incident, was a resident of the state at the time as well):

Rachel Ellen Ondersma was a 17-year-old high school senior when she was stopped by the police in Grand Rapids, Mich., on Nov. 14, 1998. She had been driving erratically, the police said, and when she failed a Breathalyzer test, she was placed under arrest.

An officer cuffed Ms. Ondersma's hands behind her and left her alone in the back seat of a police cruiser. What happened after that was captured on a video camera mounted inside the vehicle. And while it would eventually be shown on the Fox television program "World's Wackiest Police Videos," it was not funny.

The camera offered a clear view through the cruiser's windshield. The microphone picked up the sound of Ms. Ondersma sobbing, then the clink of the handcuffs as she began maneuvering to free herself. She apparently stepped through her arms so her hands, still cuffed, were in front of her. Then she climbed into the front seat, started the engine and roared off. With the car hurtling along, tires squealing, Ms. Ondersma could be heard moaning, "What am I doing?" and, "They are going to have to kill me."

She roared onto a freeway, where she was clocked by pursuing officers at speeds up to 80 miles per hour. She crashed into a concrete barrier, and officers, thinking they had her boxed in, jumped out of their vehicles. But Ms. Ondersma backed up, then lurched forward and plowed into one of the police cars.

Gunfire could be heard as the police began shooting out her tires. The teenager backed up, lurched forward and crashed into the cop car again. An officer had to leap out of the way to keep from being struck.

Ms. Ondersma tried to speed away once more, but by then at least two of her tires were flat and she could no longer control the vehicle. She crashed into another concrete divider and was finally surrounded.

As I watched the videotape, I was amazed at the way she was treated when she was pulled from the cruiser. The police did not seem particularly upset. They were not rough with her, and no one could be heard cursing. One officer said: "Calm down, all right? I think you've caused enough trouble for one day."

Ms. Ondersma is white. As I watched the video, I kept thinking about an incident on the New Jersey Turnpike in April 1998 in which four young men in a van were pulled over by state troopers. Three of the men were black and one was Hispanic. They were neither drunk nor abusive. But their van did roll slowly backward, accidentally bumping the leg of one of the troopers and striking the police vehicle.

The troopers drew their weapons and opened fire. When the shooting stopped, three of the four young men had been shot and seriously wounded.

Gee, I wonder why they could still complain to this day...it's obvious that Dr. King's dreams have all come true. Of course that's not true because we keep having these arguments to this day. I don't defend the actions of criminals or real 'gangstas' who harm their own communities, but your complaints, Wiese, is based on race, and I can't get behind that. The truth is in this country, violent crime is down, black on white crime is minimal yet receives the maximum amount of coverage on television and No Child Left Behind isn't working...so relax, and read a book or something.

Good points Scribe. I had deliberately left out the things done to the Japanese during WWII and what happened to Chinese immigrants in California and the western US in general. Our country is a giant stew of cultures. Those cultures still clash from time to time, but it's definitely down from what the media plays it up to be. I can't imagine what it's like to live in the Middle East! The different "races" have the same skin and hair color and similiar builds (although Persians have more European blood that lightens them a bit), yet some of them would as soon kill the others than look at'em.

General_Wiese said:
Why do blacks feel the need to complain about shit they never even went through? I respect the black people that remember what it was like to not be treated equally, the civil ones. THEY know how to act like normal human beings not like these frickin, Oh dare I say it without being called a stereo-type, GANGSTERS. OOPS I MEAN GANGSTAS. Oh yeah the holocaust was the government. HAHAHA not. If you ask me even the Jewish people have gotten over that and that was like, ten thousand times as worse as the blacks had it. YOU HAD IT BAD 100 years ago! GET THE FUCK OVER IT.
Basil munroe, Im ashamed your sorry your ahamed of me but your "higher than everyone else" attitude like you know every frickin thing is annoying even to God.

OK, go back to Africa Prince, because obviously you want to re-embrace your culture. And I mean stay there. Dont visit, please, just leave. Blacks are what discriminate not whites. Every bad thing that happens to white people and you dont hear about it just cuz we're not the minority.

THE HELL?!! YOU DID NOT JUST...
You know what, screw it, I won't waste my time getting mad at idiots.

So the blacks who were born in a slightly later, better time are "gangstas"? Like I said, STOP FRIGGIN GENERALISING! By the way, how many black people do you know? Obviously not much. I think all you know about blacks now is what you see on tv and hear in songs. Seriously.

And thanks for that example Scribe. And Jonas is right too.

And Wiese, just don't say anything else. please.

Last edited:
General_Wiese said:
Why do blacks feel the need to complain about shit they never even went through?

Ok wait, I'm confused. Did I ever complain about that? No, I didn't. That was clearly not a complaint. SO STOP PUTTING WORDS IN PEOPLE'S MOUTHS AND SHUTUP.

Sorry for the triple post but you know what? I'm ending this. Let's change the subject. There is a lot of violence in video games...
And some parents are allowing their children to play games they're not supposed to...
Any comments?

:duck: