The Offical name for the Rev is reveled.

PrinceLUDA21

Registered
Apr 18, 2006
Philly
April 27, 2006 - Nintendo revealed this morning that the official name of its formerly codenamed Revolution system is Nintendo Wii.

The Big N explained the decision behind the name in a statement, which we've provided below:

Introducing... Wii.
As in "we."

While the code-name Revolution expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.

Go to the link for More -

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/703/703502p1.html

Gross. the Nintendo Wee Wee. I was alright with buying a Revolution... but now I have to ask for a Wii???

WiiTF Mate!?!

I'm gonna go to my room, and play with my Wii. First I'll get it turned on...then i'm gonna pick it up and point with it and maybe swing it around...then I'm gonna get kinda sweaty...then....

yeah, you get my point. I made fun of the name by making reference to masturbation.

Well I'll get a friend to play with mine al nite long. I'll shoot stuff, Slap things and make a big ruckas. Lamps will be broken. I'll trash my room.And when i'm done I'll have a three way party.

Yeah, you can meet up with people online, too. Have em come over and play with your Wii. They'll probably only come over once for the action, but it'll be a fun time.

I'll be wild orgi....I mean partys. That "Wi"i all can join in on. " Wii" as a comunity will change the way "Wii" play games. "Wii" are the face of the future. "Wii" have the right. "Wii" and only WE

You know what I like this name now how many ways can "Wii" use this name in a sentence

I love nintendo but seriosly......who is in charge of their marketing department? How could they possibly think this would turn out as a good name? Erggg.......I just don't know what to say about nintendo and their decisions anymore

Well "Wii" all feel the same way. But the truth is most of us will still get it. It's not abad name "Wii" as the public just don't agree. And it was probably Reggie. He was the one who came up with the Pizza Hut Big Foot remember that

Well, they sell more units in Europe and Asia than they do in N. America. English speaking countries elsewhere (England, Australia, etc.) are nowhere near as prudish as wii are and will likely call it a good laugh and feel no embarrassment asking their friends over to play with their Wii.

To their largest market, i.e. Japan, Wii is just a symbol with little meaning attached to it.

I think it's mildly arrogant to criticize Nintendo for not considering the prudishness of America when it names its products. Let them call it whatever they want! If they discarded "Wii" because some N. Americans were a little embarrassed, they'd be losing something, I think.

A case in point: One of Canada's largest clothing lines is called "Roots". Now, in Australia, the word "root" is akin to the word "F-ck". Roots doesn't call itself something else just because its name is a little rude in another culture. Nor do they provide Canadians who travel to Oz (and many of us do) with alternative branding. Why should they?

basilmunroe said:
Well, they sell more units in Europe and Asia than they do in N. America. English speaking countries elsewhere (England, Australia, etc.) are nowhere near as prudish as wii are and will likely call it a good laugh and feel no embarrassment asking their friends over to play with their Wii.
No they don't. There were 19 million GCNs sold worldwide. Less than 4 million were sold in Japan. America is (population-wise) twice as large as Japan. And America had more than 8 million units sold. Nintendo just didn't do well ANYWHERE with the Cube.

spudlyff8fan said:
No they don't. There were 19 million GCNs sold worldwide. Less than 4 million were sold in Japan. America is (population-wise) twice as large as Japan. And America had more than 8 million units sold. Nintendo just didn't do well ANYWHERE with the Cube.

That is true. Sad but True. I hope that they do better this go round. But dont think for a second that there down for the count.