The GTA Question

ActionHank

Staff Writer (PC, Xbox)
Registered
Jun 23, 2005
Nashville
www.kat5kaos.com
Well, what makes this different is the fact that all of the sex acts and such were ON THE DISK- all the mod does is unlock them. True, you have to apply the mod to access the data, but the data WAS there direct from the publisher. Should be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Personally, every time I see some 11-year old kid walking around a store with a copy of San Andreas, pestering his mom or dad to buy it I get the creeps... I'm all for freedom of speech, but there's also parental oversite, and I'd have to say that 9 times out of 10 when I go up and explain to the parent what's REALLY in the game (usually with the charming, gutter-mouthed little tot staring daggers at me) they're surprised- obviously most parents don't even read the ESRB ratings or understand them. :(

right.

you know, when you buy alcohol, usually everyone in the party gets carded. well, with the exception of children accompanied by parents. they should start carding when people buy games maybe. maybe that'd make the parents realize - "oh, this is for 18 year-olds?" plus, if the kid was like 15, they might ask to card him too. then again, if i were that age i'd hate it. and it would be a huge hassle. then some parents would just argue that they can buy it for their kid...but at least they'd KNOW it was 18+

The thing is the Gamestops and the EBs are supposed to. They won't really start doing it unless they get fined in violation.

Also on that note let it be know that they are not going after the retail stores, they are going after Rockstar Games and ESRB, because this is somehow their fault.

They should go after Rockstar! Even if the code is supposedly nonaccessible, there is no way that content should have been in a releasable version. Keep it in the beta then delete it! It's irresponsible in the extreme.

"All Rockstar's fault"...?

Well, I didn't say THAT precisely, but I did mention that the developer DID create that content and burned it to each and every disc that they sold. Given that a popular game is almost ALWAYS reverse-engineered and cracked-open, it does make me wonder if the devs knew presicely what they were doing when they "forgot" to delete that content. After all, they're protected by the voluntary "M" rating that they stuck on each and every box, and this is getting them a TON of free press...

retailers have officially pulled it from shelves, people time to start paying hundreds of dollars for this on ebay, funny thing though, the place where I work at decided not to pull it from shelves, we just put a "18 to purchase sticker on it", If anybody needs a supplier, you know who to call.

The thing is, it wasn't a mod. The Hello Kitty flashlight in Doom 3 is a Mod. This was made and released by Rockstar. This was a patch that opened it up, like unlocking the FAMAS in MGS2 Substance.

This is true, but the question is, will people outside the gaming community understand that?

I think this sets a dangerous precedent. If in the future someone releases a mod for a game that includes AO-content, will Hillary Cinton look at it and say "hey that's just like that Grand Theft Auto issue, let's get 'em!" To a legislator, it's unimportant how the content got there, but that "our children" are being "exposed" to this "inappropriate material". If mods are targetted next, publishers may just make games less mod-friendly in order to avoid lengthy court battles.