Such A Ripoff...

It apperently did not sale. Maybe Ebay users are beginning to wise up to stuff like that. I remember around Christmas a lot of people got hundreds of dollars for selling just the box of an X-box 360 to people who did not read very well.

It's for the website name, and people will buy that, just watch. And then the makers of MGS will have to find a new web name.

wats the point on buying the domain. wow ur goin to have the MGS website and!!!!

hmmmm. Just at glance, a website by the name of nudecelebphotos.com, jsut saw it was selling for 1,950 USD.. That industy is booooming.... Which is telling you something about us guys... :butthead:

Jaime said:
wats the point on buying the domain. wow ur goin to have the MGS website and!!!!

The point is you'd have a domain name that people might want.

I think I recall something I read something ages ago... where a guy registered www.America.com then months or years later sold it to the US Government for some ridiculous sum of money (we're either talking in the region of hundreds of thousands... or we are talking some amount of millions).

It just goes to show you can make a stupid profit if you get a desired domain name before someone else and hold on to it. If demand is sufficient you can basically ask for any price.. and you'd get it.

SInce corporations started noticing the marketing and sales potential of the Internet, things have changed a little about domain name registration. If the domain name you register infringes upon the trademarked name of a product, title or name of a famous individual or commercial entity, you can be sued successfully. There is now precedent, and gone are the days when you can create a domain name like pepsi-soda.com hoping to get a huge check from Pepsico since they can just force you to desist in its use.

America.com, btw, appears to be a sketchy portal site at this time with no information on who runs it.

Meh. I'm no expert on the subject.. I'm just trying to tell one story that I heard and trying to explain what this guy is doing.

It should be obvious that he's not trying to pass off a domain name as the actual game (unlike passing off XBox 360 boxes as XBox 360's).. because hey, the actual game is cheaper and the advert makes it pretty clear he's selling a website not a game.

Looks to me like he's trying to sell it to other people hoping to make money under the strengths of it getting a lot of traffic from fans.. and the possibility of Konami paying money to get the domain. To be honest anyone that buys it will probably lose money.. Konami already has it's own website with a MGS3:S section and if what you said is true they could sue to gain control of it instead of using their chequebook... and unless someone spends extra money to get someone to actually make the site they won't get many returning visitors so no money from adverts.

And yeah.. America.com does look pretty lame.

Yea it's a ripp off if u have MG3 y buy it again, for the crapy online play ... the aimmiing system sucks. i'll stick with the original.