Steam surpasses 9 million concurrent users

queenbellevue

Registered
Feb 14, 2015
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

And here's a picture
1RZJpjm.png

Now, I know there were probably a few bots here and there, but it's still a pretty big achievement.

It's really not that surprising because of how big Steam is, but it's definitely an achievement worth talking about nonetheless. I'm not surprised by these numbers, and there are tens of millions of Steam users anyways. We'll see the platform hit 10 million concurrent users soon enough.

I'm glad to see that PC gaming is getting more popular. I just wish the cost of entry to PC gaming wasn't as high.

I'm glad to see that PC gaming is getting more popular. I just wish the cost of entry to PC gaming wasn't as high.
Sub-par console tech, graphics, and 'exclusive titles' coupled with high prices will naturally drive consumers into more low-cost alternatives. PC gaming is getting cheaper by the day, and most decent PC builds can actually outperform consoles today.

The peak was in part due to the ESL Katowice CS:GO tournament, which awarded spectators drops which could fetch up to fifty dollars (Cobblestone Souvenir Packages). Still it's remarkable how much the userbase has grown over the past few years on the back of games like DotA 2, CS:GO, and TF2.

Great job to steam and the visionaries behind it. It is great to see PC gaming at the level it deserves to be and Steam has been a wonderful addition to it. I use Steam to see the reviews and the screenshots of games before I think about getting them.

Isn't it one of the most popular platform for obtaining games for PC gaming? I can't seem to get a physical copy of a game without having to have a steam account that goes along with it. So it makes sense.

I came across an article on IGN recently that included research showing that approximately 92 percent of all global game sales on PC are now digital. The data also showed that the PC gaming market is worth $21.5 billion - more than twice the size of the console industry.

PC gaming is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to creating games aside from mobile. Why else would there be so many releases of indie games? Consoles like Nintendo/ect have a much higher barrier to pass through in order to have the game released on the platform. In fact most of the console industry is much like the film industry. You have to pitch an idea, get financial backing from one of the major companies and go into years of long term development, ect.

PC gaming is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to creating games aside from mobile. Why else would there be so many releases of indie games? Consoles like Nintendo/ect have a much higher barrier to pass through in order to have the game released on the platform. In fact most of the console industry is much like the film industry. You have to pitch an idea, get financial backing from one of the major companies and go into years of long term development, ect.

Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't saying that the cost of entry into the world of PC game development was high, but rather that the cost of entry into actually gaming on a PC was high. In order to play Battlefield 3, I needed a higher end computer which was almost twice the cost of a console.