sony kills itself

So...sony announces that the PS3 is delayed until november, and on top of that, announces that a 60GB HDD will be required to play games. And then, in one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard, the moron says that this disc-drive may or may not be included with the PS3 out of box. Which means that....in order to play the video games designed for a video game console you might have to buy an additional peripheral before you ever get the thing home.

can one company really be that suicidal?

I agree it would be stupid not to include the HDD, but honestly, I don't think there's anything Sony can do that will hurt them. As long as the PS3 itself doesn't cost more than $500 the system will sell. Gamers will be pissed off if they have to buy a HDD separately, but they'll get over it and buy one (as long as it's not more than $100). Sony's just too popular to loose in this next-gen console war IMO. And they're supposed to be ripping off/copying a lot of what Xbox Live does, so I think they'll be just fine in the near future.

If one thing does kill them I think it could be the price of their games. If the games come out costing $70 (as some are rumoring they could be), I believe that would be a real mistake.

I think it all comes down to money.

I've seen projections for the PS3 retail mostly between 500 and 900 dollars. So lets assume an honest medium to that: $700

Add to that the cost of this disc-drive, which modestly could be assumed at about $100-150

Add to that the fact that you will need to, at some point, actually buy a game that will cost about $60.

So, very easily, your looking at spending about $900 here just to play video games, and with sony catering to a lot of casual gamers, I'd like to compare this move to a retarded kid humping a doorknob.

Sony is by NO means doomed this generation. They're probably not going to sell 92 million units this generation, but I foresee Sony retaining the majority of their Japanese base, and retaining their hardcore base in America. Let's face it. Between Sony's launch lineup, the Revolution's launch lineup, and the Xbox 360's games from launch until November, Sony's launch lineup kicks EVERYONE'S ass. I mean, Devil May Cry 4, Tekken 6, Killzone 2, Unreal Tourney 07 and more, then not too long after launch comes Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid 4 and more.

It's still going to cost Sony big. The reason they were pushing for a Spring launch (no pun intended), was that Japan's equivalent to the Christmas shopping season is Spring and early summer. The kiddies get out of school for the summer and need some stuff to do. Missing that will mean a major cut in sales. Second, if they were able to launch before the Revo, they would have an edge. Now they will go heads up with a system that is a fraction of the price, with games that have captured fans for a long time. Not to mention Halo 3. Holiday release for Halo 3? That will sell a game or three.

If they miss the November launch date, they will seriously fall behind. They won't go out of business, but it'll put a hurtin' on them.

Yeah I saw that article. The first thing I thought was, "sheesh even Microsoft gave us the option of buying a system with a HDD in the bundle". Maybe Sony thinks this is a way of artificially keeping the price down. I guess they think we're the stupid ones if they don't include it, somehow we won't include the two prices as the real cost of the system. Just think about how many unhappy customers are going to have to come back to stores this Christmas when they realize it's useless without another piece of hardware.

BowlingForHobos said:
I've seen projections for the PS3 retail mostly between 500 and 900 dollars. So lets assume an honest medium to that: $700

I really don't think it will cost much more than $500 (but I've been wrong before).

All I can say is that that gives me plenty of time to save up for it! I don't think this means the death of Sony, however I do think it means that the X-Box will get a much stronger following and may take away from the Sony support.

I would have to disagree, I think that Microsoft is going to try and do something way over the top and just mess up something that could have been great.

Nah, Microsoft is smarter than that. They made mistakes, and they witnessed the mistakes of others. They know what to do and what not to do.

im not gonna cast my vote just yet for who wins the console wars next round, but they all seem to be getting off to weird starts. There isn't really a stand out game on the 360 yet (or in fact something that looks to be above "eh, its ok"), the PS3 might not be able to play games out of box, and the revolution is either going to be a genius new way to play games or a gimmick factory.

My vote is for Microsoft. Even if their strategies have been slow and Sony has come to dominate the market in a huge way, Microsoft is a survivor. Their pockets are deeper. Endurance wins the race. They have proved that you don't have to have the best stuff, just more. Windows is sloppy and takes up too much space. But everyone has it.

The xbox put them into a different kind of warfare. But they've adapted and will persevere.

I think that Nintendo will claw their way into a much more profitable generation than with the Cube, at least in terms of higher sales.

Definitely. The Big N is gonna slip on into this generation of gaming in a bigger way than the Cube did. Of course, two years from now, they'll release a new high def system. But the Revo will be the start of their climb.

My vote would go to Microsoft...if and only if...the details at the beginning of this topic are true....If you have to buy a HDD and a "disk drive" of some sort, that would be Sony literally saying we don't know what we're doing.....I still think there is potential with the PS3, but with the BluRay and the delays, it's looking like they're heading for the hills for a little while...Although i don't have the game yet, G.R.A.W for the 360 is one of the first next-gen titles that lives up to the specs.....Don't believe me, go to the 360 section of the site and check out the pics and trailer....Now that it has come out, people that i know don't even know what their other games look like.....Sony could win if they could come out with a better software program that the 360 doesn't have.....The thing with the 360 is that they did their homework and it shows in the superb interface that they have incorporated in the system

Last edited:
I was discussing a similar topic with some computer geeks. They are drooling over the next gen computer stuff coming out or about to come out. My question to them was "at what point does it no longer matter if you can get it faster or store more info?"

At first they just blinked at me. Then they started thinking about it. Does it matter if it can go 10,000 rpms if it is a 2-lane highway, or is 5,000 rpm on a 16-lane highway better? Once graphics max out the potential of 2-dimensional screens, when do game makers say "we can't make a game look better or have more stuff. The system can handle it, but we have reached our potential with this media"?

Will we really be able to tell the difference between the PS3 and the 360? Will it matter to 99% of gamers that one can handle more polygons?