Limited edition consoles

YunaKazama26

Registered
Dec 4, 2014
I have always owned consoles in their default color/skin. Well that was before I became aware of custom skins and limited editions. My PS3 is a gift and it's the black slim one. When I bought a Xbox 360, I chose the Star Wars limited edition. I only bought it for the R2D2 sounds and I'm in love with the chrome controller. I'm thinking of continuing the tradition to next gen when the perfect skin/design comes. Whatever comes first...games or limited edition consoles. If Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out, I'd get a black or white PS4 instead. Maybe. I just know I won't be buying the normal standard Xbox One but that's just me. As for custom skins, I don't really dig that sticker kind though.

How about you guys? What is your preference? What did you buy? What are you planning to buy in the future? Do you own any limited edition console, controller or handheld? Or do you have it customized? Do you create your own skin or have it made? What is the best skin/console design ever? Share your thoughts below :)

I've also always just had the basic colors because by the time they come out with the limited edition ones I usually already have one and don't feel much like selling it just so I can buy a new one for the difference in design or color. I may try and wait for different colors on the new consoles though.

Reactions: YunaKazama26
The limited edition consoles I own are still in the unbroken sealed original packing. Stored safely in a fire proof safe. The are Limited edition for a reason, because there are only a few of them made. if I like one so much I want to use it to play on I wait until it pops up on ebay and I buy a used one to play on.

I usually end up with the first design for any console just because I'm an early adopter.

I have been trying to snatch up special versions of older consoles when I come across them though. My latest purchase being the green Donkey Kong N64.

My brothers and when I used to buy consoles would always buy the regular consoles. We would wait for launch or wait a few days more and just grab it while it was in stock. When the limited edition consoles come out, It is to late by then. We already own said console, So we figure why buy another? Unless we can get it a t a great deal or even used, We won't bother.

It would be smarter to wait for the limited edition consoles because they are just that, Limited and much cooler than their stock counterpart but I don't think I nor my brothers have ever done that. I would much prefer the limited edition consoles and controllers. Basic is just plain.

Hi guys! Thank you for the replies! I used to be an early adopter. I had a PS3 first so by the time I wanted an exclusive game from Xbox 360, I was a late adopter (I bought Dance Central and Dead Space a couple of years after it was popular) and got the limited edition because it had R2D2 sounds (nevermind the bundled Kinect game). Yeah limited editions look cool but they always arrive later don't they? I fully agree with you guys that you don't need a second console when you already have one just because of the design. Also with waiting. I haven't bought anything of this generation but I like PS4's design while I think the Xbox One is too plain. Waiting is good because of the price drop and more options to choose from. The game that I want for it isn't out yet anyway.

Cyberpinoy...wow seriously? I don't think I can do that. I'd always open my newly bought stuff (be it consoles or anime figures) with a big grin on my face (blame that on the hype) and keep the box for storing other stuff. Although your idea has its merits. You can sell that console for a higher price later.

Ridge...old consoles huh? Nice. That would be so cool if we have that here. Our stores only sell new stuff. I think I can only find those online (used) if I want to. I guess I have to do research on rare stuff that I'd be interested in owning. I've never had a Nintendo console (Gamecube, etc. Even Wii) so that's a time to start I guess. Maybe. For now, I'm keeping our old Family Computer, Sega Megadrive Genesis and PS2 because I can still play on them (PS1 not working). They're not limited edition though.

I snatched up a limited edition Pokemon 3DS, really loved the color! Also the fact that it came preloaded with Pokemon Black sweetened the deal :D

I usually purchase consoles fairly early so just get the default colours, I prefer black if there's any choice as it doesn't show dirt etc. as easily and tends to look nicer in a setup. I would get a limited edition 3DS as those are pretty nice, and overseas tends to have the coolest limited edition playstation's.

I own three limited edition devices:

Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation White Vita

Borderlands 2 Black Vita

Special Pikachu Edition 3DS

None of my bigger consoles have been limited edition, nor will they probably ever be.

I really don't like buying limited edition stuff, its a battle to use it as you're weighing whether to keep its sanctity or not, etc. It's more expensive typically as well, so there's another reason I avoid it.

I snatched up a limited edition Pokemon 3DS, really loved the color! Also the fact that it came preloaded with Pokemon Black sweetened the deal :D

Thank you guys for replying! Why didn't I think of using the reply button sooner (for the posts above)? Hehe anyway, moving forward.

Squigly that's so cool. I love bundles. I was an early adopter with the 3DS and bought the blue one at day one (and chose Street Fighter as my first game). To this day I'm still kinda miffed about the huge price drop, the XL/LL and the limited editions sometimes. Hehe. Most of the time, it's like my baby. I take extra care of my 3DS because of it. You know it's like first gen 3DS something.

I usually purchase consoles fairly early so just get the default colours, I prefer black if there's any choice as it doesn't show dirt etc. as easily and tends to look nicer in a setup. I would get a limited edition 3DS as those are pretty nice, and overseas tends to have the coolest limited edition playstation's.

Hi Atlas! Oh so you're the type who likes default consoles. You have a point there. Black does tend to hide the dirt (my PS3 is black and I prefer the black PS4 so yeah). I did hear once that some people do choose a color based on their setup at home. Black would be the safest. Good luck with choosing your limited edition 3DS! So many cool designs.

I own three limited edition devices:

Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation White Vita

Borderlands 2 Black Vita

Special Pikachu Edition 3DS

None of my bigger consoles have been limited edition, nor will they probably ever be.

I really don't like buying limited edition stuff, its a battle to use it as you're weighing whether to keep its sanctity or not, etc. It's more expensive typically as well, so there's another reason I avoid it.

Hi TonyMHFan! Wow two Vitas. I've never owned a Vita myself since I'm still waiting for a reason to buy one (any recommendations?). I saw that Pikachu 3DS at the mall..it's so adorable. I agree limited edition consoles are more expensive. I bought a limited edition just for the design and sounds. Hehe. If it weren't for the sounds, I'd settle for the black console. I use it normally as I would use my PS3. With care of course.

As for the Xbox One, I can't stand the black one. It looks like a VCR player or something. Too plain.

Ridge...old consoles huh? Nice. That would be so cool if we have that here. Our stores only sell new stuff. I think I can only find those online (used) if I want to. I guess I have to do research on rare stuff that I'd be interested in owning. I've never had a Nintendo console (Gamecube, etc. Even Wii) so that's a time to start I guess. Maybe. For now, I'm keeping our old Family Computer, Sega Megadrive Genesis and PS2 because I can still play on them (PS1 not working). They're not limited edition though.

The only stores around here that really have old consoles are pawn shops. I check the 2 local ones maybe once a month. In the summer when people have garage sales those can also be a goldmine.

Hi TonyMHFan! Wow two Vitas. I've never owned a Vita myself since I'm still waiting for a reason to buy one (any recommendations?).

The Vita probably isn't for you if you've gone all this time and haven't seen any reason to buy one. I mean, you're looking at three years of accumulation of games and none of it has produced something you want.

This (<link) thread is as good as any to potentially spark an interest in the device for you, not really sure what else I could say.

I've had a few special editions in the past but I rarely touched them because of their limited status. Due to constant moving I had to sell them. Having worked in Nintendo years ago, there was a huge issue whenever we got calls to fix limited editions. More often than not it was cost efficient to replace the entire unit altogether rather than try to fix the components on the spot. Because of that we often made sure that the owners were alright with replacing the limited edition unit.

I have always owned consoles in their default color/skin. Well that was before I became aware of custom skins and limited editions. My PS3 is a gift and it's the black slim one. When I bought a Xbox 360, I chose the Star Wars limited edition. I only bought it for the R2D2 sounds and I'm in love with the chrome controller. I'm thinking of continuing the tradition to next gen when the perfect skin/design comes. Whatever comes first...games or limited edition consoles. If Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out, I'd get a black or white PS4 instead. Maybe. I just know I won't be buying the normal standard Xbox One but that's just me. As for custom skins, I don't really dig that sticker kind though.

How about you guys? What is your preference? What did you buy? What are you planning to buy in the future? Do you own any limited edition console, controller or handheld? Or do you have it customized? Do you create your own skin or have it made? What is the best skin/console design ever? Share your thoughts below :)
I just like them plain and simple.The design is also an important consideration for me as am in love with sleek designs.My previous purchase was an Xbox 360 but it wasn't customized.

I knew about custom edition skins for consoles, but I never really liked them. Well, 'liked' is a bad word here. I guess I just never really paid attention to the skins, nor did I care for them. I mean I wouldn't mind having a limited edition console, but it's not something I would go out of my way to have, and own. I knew two or three of my friends had limited edition consoles in the past, and I did not seem interested at all in the re-skinning of consoles either, when my brother re-skinned his PlayStation 3.