In-Game Purchases

JayWifi

Registered
Dec 4, 2014
Many games on the smartphone market offer a "freemium" sales strategy where you play through your favorite games without having to pay for an upfront price however companies replace the app price with in-game transactions. While most freemium games allow the players to get fairly far without purchasing any items or boosts, some games are programmed to difficult to progress without buying in-game goods.

While it may take the player awhile to reach a certain amount of in-game cash or items, hard work is often needed to get far in these games without paying real money. My question to you guys is do you ever buy any in-game purchases?

I am strictly against IAP, because most games do it plainly wrong. There are some examples like Kingdom Rush: Origins which do it in an acceptable way, but I dislike ones such as Clash of Clans or Real Racing 3 which limit players by timers or energy-like systems. Those games aren't worth a single penny most of the time, and most of them can be hacked anyway with certain apps.

I used to play Sims on my phone. It is a really interesting game because it is a life simulation game.
However, you have to purchase in-game and it is pretty annoying, because I don't want to pay for anything.:(:(

I haven't ever paid for IAP in a phone game nor do I plan on it anytime soon, but I'm not opposed to its implementation so long as it isn't made to be a requirement at any point. I really don't use a phone enough to play something like an IAP-ridden Clash of Clans game. On the off chance I'm using a phone for a game its something like 'Dots' and 'Word Search'.

I absolutely hate those types of games that have a "energy limit" feature. It's really frustrating, especially when it's a good game. "Oh, you want to play? Nah, you're out of energy. Come back in an hour or pay us money to play more!". It's really horrible, in my opinion. However, if it's an in-game purchase that you don't need to progress, I don't mind that. Developers do need money, after all!

Freemium games annoy me to be honest. "Do so much for free, pay to continue or advance!"

It's really a bad thing, and the problem is now developers are using this same method in console/PC games too. I don't mind it on certain mobile games, but that's where it belongs; mobile. I've never payed for an IAP, nor do I intend on ever paying for one.

Games that offer in-app purchases without cramming them down your throat are fine. I'll pay for some IAP if I feel like it. I get free Google Play Store credits from Google Survey Rewards (an app from Google, not a third-party), so I have to spend them somewhere. I like how Asphalt 8: Airborne lets you purchase double credits for $0.99 for 24 hours. It's pretty valuable IF you want to speed up the earning process in-game.

Every so often I give into the freemium market. Whenever a game wants you to accumulate so and so points and offers for you to buy an "endless" play mode I give in. If the pricing is low enough, that is. I won't be a sap for a fifteen dollar endless play option in a game. If I have the option I'll find an "alternative" way to beat paying for that desired end.

Never bought in-game purchases, it's just a huge waste. Most of the games that have iap's are really simplistic but kind of addictive, and make you want to play by throwing out tonnes of little rewards and resources and stuff so you think you're doing well. Then it quickly cuts you off from earning making you want to spend the dollar or two to keep being rewarded. I'd rather just pick up a game on the Steam or Playstation winter sale for 5 dollars that has way more content.

Yesterday was the only time I bought an in-app purchase, and only because it was on a game I've played for ages and really like (that, and the purchase was for just one euro). I normally hate them because you can see how the apps are slowly making life difficult for you until you give in to frustration and give them money (looking at you especially, Candy Crush). I doubt I will ever make other in-app purchases though as in the end it doesn't even make that much difference in your progress.

I hate the concept of in-app purchases, either make your game free or don't. The quality of mobile games keep decreasing because of this market technique and I don't like it.
Want to play the next level? Gotta pay.
Want to not wait 2 days until you can do anything? Gotta pay.
Want fun? Gotta pay.

Programmers don't focus on the game anymore, they just want you to get hooked and make you pay, it's kind of sad.

No, I never buy in game purchases. I'd rather save my money and do the hard work in the game to get the in game revenue instead; after all, at least I know I'm getting my app's worth if I'm willing to put forth that kind of effort into the game itself.

I never buy in game items for phone games. I do appreciate that they give people the option while offering the game for free. I just get a sense of accomplishment when I complete a game without relying on money to help me.

I usually don't unless I like the game so much that I'm willing to pay the developers even when I don't really have to. Sometimes I'd have a lot of in game cash built up just from playing but I'd still buy some extra just to support developers who obviously put effort and passion into a game.

I'd happily pay more for a full game instead of having to spend tiny bits of cash everytime I need something it's very hard or downright impossible to obtain without having to resort to IAP.
Thomas Baekdal wrote a great article about a certain game from a certain cash-grabbing company which explains what the Android and IOS gaming mini-economy faces which I recommend reading.

I've never bought anything inside of a game and I never intend to. I don't even play mobile games often enough to really warrant it, and plus I could set aside that money for other purchases.

Not at all, haha. The only time I've ever purchased anything about an app are for productivity apps because I need them to get things done.

I play games to numb myself or to de-stress. I haven't really found a freemium app that made me want to buy something since winning and being the best has never been my goal.

I've never got an in-game purchase, because in my opinion it's just not worth it.

Why?
Because you're going to lose interest in that one game that you spent $2.49 to buy, and then you lost $0.99 to purchase in game stuff, really no point.

I play a game where growth is really really slow without purchasing gold packs. Luckily, I'm always too broke to be tempted to buy them. Occassionally, they will do a really good five dollar pack that you can't pass up and I will buy one of those, but I usually avoid the in app purchasing.

Fortunately, I've never wasted my valuable money on those in-game purchases. I can play those 'freemium' games without purchasing. I feel that they are cheats you can purchase to make your game easier. Besides, I feel that they are overpriced. I can get a few good games on a Steam sale with the amount of a couple of booster packs!